Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 5 Jan 20, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by juliab View Post
We got to San Francisco in the afternoon and went on one of the last afternoon tours to Alcatraz. The next day we rode the cable cars in the morning the queues were quite long so would advise getting therre really early.
We booked a Dylan's tour as a treat, it was our wedding anniversary but we booked the little e-tuk which was cheaper, we're a family of 5. Also found a offer code so that made the tour cheaper but it was just for 2 hours. We did cover a lot of ground but you can do this yourself if you have a car.
I was initially thinking to do the Alcatraz evening tour on arrival day to get stuff straight in and then have the whole of the next day to freestyle tour. My only worry is pre booking and not arriving in time but it does make more sense (in my head) to do this! I bet the e-turn tour was fab and until yesterday was totally going to book with Dylans but we have decided to splurge and stay onsite at Disneyland at the end and many of the hotels have resort fees and with 5 of us will be booking 2 rooms in some places.

I will pre warn my crew that we will need to be inline for the cable cars first thing as its something I really dont want to miss. Thank you so much for responding, Im really looking forward to your report for hints and tips.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
I was initially thinking to do the Alcatraz evening tour on arrival day to get stuff straight in and then have the whole of the next day to freestyle tour. My only worry is pre booking and not arriving in time but it does make more sense (in my head) to do this! I bet the e-turn tour was fab and until yesterday was totally going to book with Dylans but we have decided to splurge and stay onsite at Disneyland at the end and many of the hotels have resort fees and with 5 of us will be booking 2 rooms in some places.

I will pre warn my crew that we will need to be inline for the cable cars first thing as its something I really dont want to miss. Thank you so much for responding, Im really looking forward to your report for hints and tips.
We only just made it to our tour so i would book it as late as you can i would say you need to be leaving Yosemite in the morning though so i don't know what your plans are for that day.
It's hard isn't it trying to make a plan, maybe just write down your must haves for San Francisco then work around that.
We walked past the Powell/Mason cable car turnaround at about 8.30 and it wasn't busy so it depends which line you want to ride on.
I hope the trip report helps with your planning and good luck.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
need a countdown!
Unread 6 Jan 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
Some good information so thank you. Was hoping to get up early and line up for the cable cars but we arrive in the city on our 7th day so the likelihood is we will struggle to wake too early! I was thinking to Uber to and from the boat for Alcatraz.
If you just want to ride the cable cars then consider using the California line which runs to Van Ness. It is far less busy (e.g. no queuing when we've used late morning mid August).

You can hop off at top of one of the hills and walk back through Chinatown.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I dont have any touring advice as such but San Francisco is ace and I wouldnt risk missing Alcatraz so would book on the second day to be sure. We walked everywhere when we were there, got to take in the view on the way, admittedly we had a couple more days than you have there.
We brought a guide book when planning and basically selected the places we definitely wanted to see and made a route from that.
Have tried to find my photos of leaving Alcatraz at sun set as they are absolute favourites but not on this phone sadly.
Alwaysdisley is online now Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Next trip unknown :(
Unread 8 Jan 20, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by juliab View Post
We only just made it to our tour so i would book it as late as you can i would say you need to be leaving Yosemite in the morning though so i don't know what your plans are for that day.
It's hard isn't it trying to make a plan, maybe just write down your must haves for San Francisco then work around that.
We walked past the Powell/Mason cable car turnaround at about 8.30 and it wasn't busy so it depends which line you want to ride on.
I hope the trip report helps with your planning and good luck.
I was thinking I leave Yosemite in the morning. I think I will probably chance the Alcatraz tour on the first evening if it is doable will just worry about traffic on the way over!

I was trying to get my head around the cable car routes last weekend and need to continue looking into it as am still clueless as to which line goes where!

The trip report Im loving and its so helpful as a west coast first timer.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 20, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
If you just want to ride the cable cars then consider using the California line which runs to Van Ness. It is far less busy (e.g. no queuing when we've used late morning mid August).

You can hop off at top of one of the hills and walk back through Chinatown.
This is very helpful information thank you.
Unread 8 Jan 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alwaysdisley View Post
I dont have any touring advice as such but San Francisco is ace and I wouldnt risk missing Alcatraz so would book on the second day to be sure. We walked everywhere when we were there, got to take in the view on the way, admittedly we had a couple more days than you have there.
We brought a guide book when planning and basically selected the places we definitely wanted to see and made a route from that.
Have tried to find my photos of leaving Alcatraz at sun set as they are absolute favourites but not on this phone sadly.
Oh the sunset sounds perfect, Im very much hoping to have the evening visit. Thanks very much for your advice.
Florida Escapes