Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Closed Thread
Unread 27 Feb 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
What do you mean Stanley?
If you have a look at the first post on the "Is my flight thread" it should make sense about what I can look at - from what you have said I think you already have access to the seat map through your booking so my general advice may not be relevant.

It is difficult when flights fill up - I would recommend speaking to the Special Assistance department at the airline and hopefully they could assist with a seat move. It is possible to book a "comfort seat" on some airlines which means that you pay fare only rather than some of the various taxes so perhaps you could ask about that too.

I really do appreciate how difficult it can be travelling with medical problems (seen and unseen) so be positive and be pro-active.
stanleycamel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 27 Feb 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Of course there is always the dreaded innocent passenger has selected an aisle seat because they NEEDan aisle seat for medical reasons too so I really cant understand why you didnt book a seat to accommodate your medical need in the first place rather than risk you might sh*t yourself mid flight as you suggest.
Why on earth didnt you contact special assistance when you first booked? I

Personally if Ive paid to book an aisle seat for whatever reason Id be none too pleased if someone tried to force me to move into a dreaded middle seat to accommodate a medical need they already knew about when they booked . ... and deliberately booked an unsuitable seat.
Your dreaded passenger has presumably paid good money to reserve a seat too.

Edited at 01:00 AM.
duchy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Big Birthday Cruise
Unread 27 Feb 20, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

So on our flight on april 27th from gatwick the dreaded has happened and someone has booked the seat next to us.

I had asked virgin about whether we could book this seat as we have middle and a window and got no joy let's just hope they dont mind getting up every 5 mins if I have anything to eat.
Looking at the OPs countdown the other passenger will have paid to reserve an aisle too.
The only saving grace is at this point special assistance can probably move the OP And her party elsewhere on the plane.
Better option than not eating !

Edited at 01:07 AM.
duchy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Big Birthday Cruise
Unread 27 Feb 20, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cal999golf
Earning More Ears

Mobile

As someone who is a very nervous flyer, which then triggers my IBS I feel your pain.

Personally I skip the two meals before my flight (ie tea the night before and then breakfast) then don't eat anything on the plane either. I then load up with imodium and hope for the best knowing I've done all I can to avoid an accident.

It sounds a little extreme but you can go for days without eating, if you really had to. I make sure that I keep hydrated. My wife thinks it's a last minute attempt to lose weight to fit in my shorts.
cal999golf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 27 Feb 20, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

All you can do is be polite when asking the other passenger to allow you out of your seat. I can fully understand the reasoning behind wanting to sit next to your partner and why shouldn't you. A trip to the toilet on the flight is just one of those things, anyone that has booked the aisle seat should understand this and that they will have to allow you both out to go to the toilet. Don't feel guilty about it and certainly don't try to sit through it, you will end up ill, not a pleasant start to a holiday.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
We're all going back again
Unread 27 Feb 20, 04:54 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

My mam also has a digestive condition and she doesnt eat normally on travel day. She never touches the food on board because she has no way of knowing whats in it and learned years ago that it always disagreed with her. She brings her own small snacks on board of foods that agree with her and eats little and often throughout the flight and keeps hydrated to avoid digesting big meals. She also eats light the day before and morning before boarding to slow down her digestive system. This is not because of seating issues but for her own comfort. Would you consider adjusting your diet for you own comfort too? I cant imagine it will be comfortable having a flare up on an airplane. I know they cant always be avoided but anything you could do to avoid one would be a good idea because as you know stress is a cause of flare ups.

I would also call them and see what they can do for you. Aside from seating, theres always the risk of a toilet going out of service during the flight (happened on our way over last year) and queues forming at the toilets or the possibility of bad turbulence making the toilets off limits for extended periods. Toilets are also off limits for a while after take off and before landing. Anything you can do to avoid a flare should give you additional peace of mind. And for the reasons others have stated I would never chance taking a middle and window and hoping the aisle will be empty or the other person willl move. We travel as a couple mostly and the person in the aisle beside us is almost always with the party in the centre seats on Orlando flights. Plus it just adds so much stress and worry on you leading up to the holiday and on travel day. Best to sort it now. Also consider bringing your own supplies like wet wipes, hand sanitiser because the airplane bathrooms can run out on a long haul flight. If you think you really will be up every 5 minutes you might even consider wearing a protective pad for the flight to reduce the fear of accidents.

If youre going to Disney I believe they would be able to give you assistance too if you cant queue normally I.e would have to leave the queue to use the facilities.

Edited at 05:07 AM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Vancouver>Seattle>Alaska>New York
Unread 27 Feb 20, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Them two seats at the back are all gone only seats available are in the middle if I cant change the seats and I have a flair up and the persons asleep next to me what do I do? Do I try waking them up in the hope I can or try not to **** myself
Why would you not be able to wake them? Id more concerned if I couldnt! The person who has booked this seat will be very aware that they need to get up and let you out.
To be honest Im not sure what you thought would happen? There are often parties split by an aisle. Unfortunately a lot of aircraft are not well designed for parties of 2. Its one of the reasons we like PE with Virgin.

Dining Reports
2011,2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Trip reports
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where are we staying in 2020?
Unread 27 Feb 20, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Very Serious Dibber

Just a thought, Could you not book bulk head seats so you have no-one in front of you, So you can get up and down as often as you need.

I am not saying everyone should do the same but I know exactly what I need before I book my flight, Just like you say Jen takes a course to help with her being anxious to fly. So being proactive so you dont have to encounter these hurdles on what is already a stressful time with flights.

My husband is 6ft 4in, I suffer irritable legs and my goodness do the drive me mad when they wont stop moving, I also hate people reclining their seat onto me makes me feel closed in.
So when booking my flights the only seats I will book are extra leg room seats (bulk head) so no-one is in front of me so I can get up and down from my seat without disturbing anyone, I also do not have to worry about anyone reclining onto me. If none are available I then look at premier, Failing that I then look at other flights.
I factor the extra cost into our holiday.

I would never take a risk when I know how I am on a flight. Yes its horrible for yourself that you have this condition but the reality is it is very hard for airlines to keep empty seats and you gambled on this.

I am not trying to sound harsh just trying to help in the future so that you dont have these worries in the future.
Have you looked to see if there are any extra leg room seats available ? As these could work well for you.

I hope you manage to get this sorted not only for yourself, But the the passenger that has also prebooked their aisle seat as I am sure you dont want to be disturbing them every 5 mins as I am sure they would not want to be disturbed every 5 mins.

Edited at 07:37 AM.
BirdsluvDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary celebration POFQ
Closed Thread