Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Nov 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Yep, a full one.. especially on a 70s house. Many were put up very, very quickly on small estates.

Many were also open plan which on a detached house (ours) can have many problems... nothing tying the 2 long walls together, up to spec when built, but not good enough really... roof spread etc etc... have been the owners of a lovely 70s money pit for 30 years... we were poor... had the homebuyers survey only...

Semis have fewer problems, but would still go for a full survey.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
A level 2 survey is a complete waste of time and money. They say things like "I couldn't check such-and-such because furniture was in the way" and "age of the house suggests there may be woodworm but I didn't access the roof space because there were no steps" and "flat roof may be leaking but I didn't see any evidence of leakage"
Not ONCE did mine say "the house has X fault" or even "the house does not have X fault"
It even said "house is currently empty and unoccupied" when there is an adult and two kids living there!

So either have the basic one or go for the whole hog level 3 structural. Don't waste your money on a homebuyers
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

The broker has given them a choice of a basic or level 2 survey. He said they have to pay for the basic at least even if they get their own full survey done. I think they are now leaning towards the full survey now
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would (and have always for my own homes) go for a full survey. You are spending hundreds of thousands on an asset. I would want to know what I am getting.
There will be a load of dross in it, but you really want to know the core elements are sound.
I have however bought rental houses with no survey at all. High risk, but was in a market when houses changed Hands in a couple of days.

Edited at 04:33 PM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Always have a full survey, for the value you are paying for the house the cost is absolutely worth it.

We always done this on every house we’ve purchased and they’ve always turned something up!
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We bought a house built in the 80's 3 years ago and opted for the middle one, at the same time DD bought one built in the 70's - their mortgage company insisted on the basic survey via a company of their choice, they then arranged for a middle survey via a different company. It highlighted jobs that would need doing after they bought - but nothing bad enough to pull out of the sale
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I think I’m right in saying with the basic level 1 survey. It can be classed as being carried out even if the surveyor cannot access the house. They are acting for the lender so as long as it doesn’t look like it’s falling down and the purchase price is compatible with others that have sold in the area that can be sufficient information for the lender. Quite shocking really.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
I think I’m right in saying with the basic level 1 survey. It can be classed as being carried out even if the surveyor cannot access the house. They are acting for the lender so as long as it doesn’t look like it’s falling down and the purchase price is compatible with others that have sold in the area that can be sufficient information for the lender. Quite shocking really.
This is basically a valuation.

Not shocking at all. They only have one question to answer - Will the property cover the loan should the buyer not be able to pay? All they are doing is covering the lender's financial risk. Nothing else.
If someone has a low LTV, then a drive by might be sufficient. If there is a higher LTV, the more detailed the survey will be.

Edited at 05:37 PM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Why would you not have a full structural survey on a 70s house when this is the most important and highest value purchase/investment you have made to date?

No brainer imho.

Disney332