Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 23 May 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
100% Coco is an amazing movie! You said it perfectly. Nothing more to add. I will have to watch it again soon, thanks for reminding me how awesome it is.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

Day 98: Incredibles 2 (2018)

Day 98: Incredibles 2 (2018)

So we’re on to our penultimate movie (can you believe that?). It’s the sequel to my favourite Pixar of all time, it’s got lots of great characters and truly hilarious moments, it’s got Edna Mode...and yet I still can’t quite work out how I feel about it. So let’s dig into that a bit shall we?

Incredibles 2 is definitely good. Before I whinge about it too much I would like that on the record. I like this movie, OK? It’s extremely funny, and though it perhaps doesn’t go as deep as many of the other Pixars, it’s still got a lot of heart. Ratatouille is a fairly fluffy film and still manages to be extremely high quality - a movie doesn't need to be Inside Out to be excellent.

So...the good things first.

The OG Characters are amazing.They were amazing in The Incredibles and they continue to be amazing - we are lucky just to be able to spend more time in their fantastic presence. Especially Elastigirl. And Edna. Edna is so fun and I love her relationship with Jack-Jack. Jack-Jack is sort of a new character because he comes into his own in this movie (and boy does he!) and is the source of some of the most hilarious bits in the film. It’s also great that Frozone gets a bit of an expanded part in this movie - he’s such a cool character and played to perfection by Samuel L Jackson.

The voice acting is also wonderful from the core characters, of course. The returning family members are all hilarious and great, and Holly Hunter especially is wonderful at providing the heart as well as the humour. Edna of course is a standout. Have you noticed I love Edna?

As in the first movie I love the retro-future tech. The Incredibile and the Elasticycle are great inventions and the floating monorail is also pretty awesome. There’s just so much creativity on show here, and despite it being fantastical, it still feels believable.

One of my favourite things about Incredibles 2 has got to be the score. It was already one of my favourite things from the first movie (it just fits so perfectly with the plot and tone of the piece) and with the added treats of the theme tunes for Mr Incredible, Elastigirl and Frozone...well, Michael Giaccino is nothing short of a genius. It also feels like him and Brad Bird must have had a bit of a mind-meld on these two movies, for him to create a score that so perfectly captures the spirit of what Brad Bird is trying to do.

The plot is a bit of a mixture. I don't dislike it, though it does have some problems. It’s fun and whips along at a pace, and includes some great set pieces, including the monorail chase and Jack-Jack and the raccoon. But there are some puzzling bits and some things I would go so far as to call missteps.

So, on to the less good things.

I think the new characters let the movie down a bit. The new supers are a bit lacklustre and don’t make much of an impression, but the real letdown is the villain. Evelyn’s motivations are weird and unconvincing and she has so little personality. She doesn’t like supers, so she brings them out of hiding just when they were about to be gone for good...in order to make sure they’re gone for good. Huh? This evil plan is less developed than the Horned King’s. I also don't know why they gave her a brother. He does nothing and contributes nothing either to the plot or the themes.

The movie tries to help us understand Evelyn’s motivations a bit better through her conversations with Elastigirl. Unfortunately these are stiff and weird and go on for ages. We should get ample insight into her as a character, but we don’t. And not to keep piling on, but I think she’s also indifferently performed by Catherine Keener. Syndrome was part of what made The Incredibles the brilliant bit of campy, escapist fun that it was, and, unfortunately, Evelyn is no comparison.

My final gripe is with the messages that the movie is trying to deliver; they feel just a little bit clunky and confused to me. Mr Incredible’s lack of support for Elastigirl feels oddly out of character. The movie feels a bit like it’s trying to jump on the #metoo bandwagon by punishing Mr Incredible for not wholeheartedly supporting his wife, just because she’s a woman. This doesn't seem to me like something the Mr Incredible from the first movie would have done though. Yes, I could see him being resentful that Elastigirl is the one who gets to go out and do the heroics, but more because he’s keen to reclaim his glory days that because she’s a woman and he’s a man. Also, isn’t this message a bit dated and overdone at this point?

I’m also not sure what this movie is trying to tell me about ordinary people’s role in society. The philosophy of it seems ill-formed and maybe even a bit mean-spirited. The movie seems to be trying to tell us we’re all lazy buggers and should get up off our butts and do something about the world; but at the same time it punishes Evelyn for doing just that (trying to make herself and her family independent from supers); as it also punished Syndrome in the first movie for trying to be like a super. So, ‘Stop being lazy and do something, but also, don't because you should leave it to the special people or you’ll end up looking like an idiot like Syndrome, or end up evil and resentful like Evelyn?’ I’m confused.

Overall Incredibles 2 is perhaps not the sequel I would have hoped for for one of my favourite movies, but it is still a really good one. It’s very funny and creative and allows me to spend more time with the coolest family in the world, which is pretty incredible.

I’m so sorry.
Gr8WideSomewher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

Day 99: Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)

Day 99: Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)

Last one! Here we go…

It was our second time watching this after watching it at the cinema. I remember enjoying it when we saw it before, but even then I could immediately see the problems with it. This time I must admit I barely enjoyed it at all, which is a shame. This isn’t to say it’s a bad film, just that I personally don’t love it, for reasons that may come down to taste.

But let’s start by talking about the great things in Ralph Breaks the Internet. It seems to me that the great things in this movie are really really great, but that there are too many slightly bad things for it to balance out.

However, the movie is a visual masterpiece. It’s creative and fun just as the first one was and the depiction of the internet is exciting, funny, clever and satisfying. I say satisfying because the internet has become such a core part of most people’s lives, and to see it portrayed in this way is a complete delight. There are in-jokes and things to enjoy for any user of the internet.

Vanellope’s story is also really good, and she continues to be both adorable and awesome. It’s really nice to see her story continue and develop and for her to go to a more emotional place than she did in Wreck-It Ralph. I also continue to love Fix-It Felix and Calhoun - I wish there was more of them in this movie. I would have loved to see them working out the parenting thing.

I also think this movie’s theme is strong and comes across really well. Although the internet (both in real life and as portrayed so successfully in this movie) is full of exciting things, you don’t have to use it for long before you notice the way everything online is more extreme, enhanced and lacking in nuance, and how the internet can quickly end up making monsters of perfectly reasonable people. This is an interesting angle for a children’s film and I think they pull it off; and it’s also a theme that both adults and children can identify with.

Despite all those good things I still can’t really enjoy this movie though. Perhaps the theme feels too mean-spirited for a children’s film, or perhaps I’m just not convinced by it, I don’t know. But I don't feel that insecurity was really Ralph’s greatest flaw, and in the first movie he certainly wasn't insecure about his relationship with Vanellope. Their friendship becomes a bit weird and one-sided in the second film - with Ralph the much older friend who seems a bit obsessed with the much younger Vanellope. Ralph in the first movie wanted to break out of the norm and try new things, but in this movie he just wants to do the same things over and over again and to hold Vanellope back. I could maybe have forgiven all this, but I feel like him going to the dark web to find a virus to destroy the game she loves is just a step too far and was a mistake on the part of the film makers. Even though it all worked out for the best by the end of the film, I still felt like I’d been beaten over the head by the message about ‘supporting your friends’ so thoroughly that I wasn’t really enjoying myself any more. And I also didn't like Ralph, which is quite an achievement by the movie, since he’s one of Disney’s most likeable main characters of the past decade.

The other problem I have with Ralph Breaks the Internet is that the movie may be a tad too self aware. This is definitely only my opinion though, as Bex doesn't agree - she loves the self-referential humour, the bits at Oh My Disney etc. It seems to me, however, that there’s a bit too much of this nudge-nudge, raised eyebrow sort of humour in the movie with the references to the Disney Princesses, Star Wars and so many internet tropes I can’t count them. There’s nothing wrong with this of course - if any company has earned it Disney sure has! - but it’s not my personal favourite type of humour. It tends to go for the most obvious joke, for example the idea that everyone thinks the princesses all have to be saved by big strong men, but they’re actually fully capable of taking care of business for themselves. I think this trope is outdated and factually inaccurate - there hasn't actually been a princess you could say this of since Ariel, and, as this marathon has shown us, she was only princess number four! It’s simplistic and boring and makes me cringe a little bit. This type of humour merely references a thing and goes ‘Remember that? ’ rather than having any inherent wit.

The other thing is that the endless internet-related jokes will date within months, maybe weeks. ‘Breaking the internet’ is already not really a thing anymore. It makes me worry that this film, which is 1000 times better than Chicken Little, might end up going the same way, simply because in a few years time people either won’t remember the tropes being referenced, or will be too busy groaning at them to laugh.

I can't really give this movie a good review, unfortunately, though I really wanted to like it. It’s definitely not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination and its portrayal of the internet is endlessly creative, delightful and funny, but there are just too many things that don’t sit right for me to really enjoy it. It's a big shame!

And it’s doubly a shame because that was our LAST movie in the marathon and it sucks to leave on a low note. We’re up to date with movie number 99 (how annoying is that? I would have loved a round 100 ) and there are no more Disney or Pixar animated movies to review. I’m very happy to have got it all finished before our Japan trip, though it did end up taking longer than we thought it would. Bex is going a bit earlier than me and she is literally leaving at the end of the week so we cut it pretty fine!

I will probably write a bit of a summing up post in a bit, and maybe have a little awards ceremony to celebrate the best (and worst, because that’s more fun) of Disney. For now though let me say that even though this has been hard work sometimes it has been extremely enjoyable and rewarding. Thanks so much to everyone who has read along and most especially to the people who have commented and shared their memories and their thoughts on the movies as well.

Much love to all of you
Live Disney, Love Disney

Rosie (and Bex)
Gr8WideSomewher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

Final post for a while...the RoScars!

Final post for a while...the RoScars!

This will be my last post for a while, folks, but it would be rude to finish this without celebrating the best and worst of Disney animated movies. We've learned a lot over the last year (year!) of watching these films about Disney history and how much Disney has been woven into our lives for so long. I didn't think I could love Disney more than I did when I started this thread, but I was wrong - I've found a new appreciation for the films, especially the older ones, and feel like I've truly earned my Disney wings. And the right to judge Disney films!

So without further ado, I give you...the RoScars!

I came up with the nominees in each character and then Bex and I decided together which movie would the winner. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the winners and losers!

Best Song

Under the Sea - winner
Circle of Life
Go the Distance
Let it Go

Best Soundtrack/Score

The Lion King
Up
The Incredibles
Hunchback of Notre Dame - winner

Best Female Character

Belle
Miss Bianca
Judy Hopps - winner
Ariel

Best Male Character

Robin Hood
The Beast
Aladdin
Woody - winner

Hottest Woman

Pocahontas
Jasmine
Jessica Rabbit
Megara - winner

Hottest Man

Li Shang - winner
Flynn Rider
Prince Eric
Aladdin

Best Villain

Ursula - winner
Scar
Hades
Yzma

Worst Villain

Ratcliffe
Edgar
Goob - winner
The Horned King

Most Evil

Frollo - winner
The Coachman from Pinocchio
McLeach
The Evil Queen

Best 2D Animation

The Lion King - winner
Beauty and the Beast
Sleeping Beauty
Bambi

Best Computer Animation

The Incredibles
Inside Out - winner
Coco
Finding Nemo

Best Sidekick

The Genie - winner
Timon and Pumbaa
Lumiere and Cogsworth
Tinkerbell

Worst Sidekick

Pua
Pascal
Gurgi
The Gargoyles - winner

Best Art Design

Sleeping Beauty - winner
Bambi
Up
Hunchback of Notre Dame

Funniest

Zootopia - winner
Robin Hood
The Incredibles
The Emperor's New Groove

Best Overall (I had to make an executive decision because Bex refused to choose a favourite from this incredible list)

The Lion King - winner
Zootopia
Inside Out
Beauty and the Beast

Worst Overall Note: The Tigger Movie was originally up for this award but Bex rightly pointed out that since it was made by one of the minor studios, and not WDAS or Pixar, it was unfair to judge it with the others.

Meet the Robinsons
The Black Cauldron
The Good Dinosaur
Home on the Range - winner

So that's our list! Does it match up with yours?

It's bye from and me and Bex for now, however, as you know we are off to Japan very soon and I am planning to write a trippie for that. So if you're interested in hearing about our adventures in Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, Universal Studios Japan, or any of the other places we're visiting in Japan, then keep an eye out for that one.

Loads of love,
Rosie and Bex
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Congratulations on getting through all the films and writing such interesting in-depth reviews. We failed to even write up our last few shorts in our review (although we did love watching them)

We do like a few of the films that you haven’t been as keen on, such as Ralph Breaks the Internet, but we all have different opinions and it’s been really enjoyable reading your reviews.

I agree with a lot of your RoScars, particularly best overall and worst overall. I couldn’t possibly pick a best song as I love the music so much from many Disney films. I think Lion King would be best soundtrack for me. Very difficult to pick best male and female characters but your choices would definitely be in contention for me too. Hottest female is Megara she is just so sexy, hottest male for me would be Flynn Ryder. My favourite villain would be Mother Gothel or Gaston, Edgar as worst villain. Most evil would be the Evil Queen. I agree with your best 2D and best computer animation. Also agree with best and worst sidekick, no one could be better than the Genie. Best art design is difficult but Sleeping Beauty is a good choice, funniest is also very difficult but Incredibles would probably edge it for me.

Hope you have a great trip to Japan Our son and his fiancée went in January and had a amazing time. They only visited Disney Sea park but have said they want to return and visit the other parks, and now want to visit other Disney parks in the world too (our son has not been interested in visiting Disney parks previously 😀 ) so I’m sure you will have a great time.

Thanks again for the epic review. It’s been really enjoyable following along 😀

Edited at 08:24 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
What a fabulous read this has been I've thoroughly enjoyed reading along and I'm glad you didn't mind me being self indulgent and sharing my own experiences and opinions with you. Reading your reviews has sparked some lovely memories for me.

It has been a heck of an undertaking for you to watch and then review all those movies. I'm really grateful that you did and I looked forward to seeing when the next one would pop up. I'm only sorry that I was late to the party and wasn't there from the beginning.

Now for your RoScars I'm not sure I can agree with everything! Ha ha, how on earth Tarzan didn't make it on to the best soundtrack list is beyond me, I absolutely love all those Phil Collins songs. But I totally agree that Megara is the hottest woman and Ursula is an awesome villain. I'm not sure I could pick a best movie as it always feels so dependent on my mood and whether I want something fun and frivolous or moving or whatever! But the lion king is fab and I certainly agree that it's a worthy choice.

I hope you have fun on your trip to Japan. And thanks again for sharing this with us it's been thoroughly enjoyable reading your insights.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Leelashpurple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Well done and thank you. You inspired me to watch some of the older films and we discovered Treasure Planet.
Leelashpurple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List