Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Update:

Got a very angry reply back this morning refuting all our claims, saying we got what we paid for and that he won't accept part payment or be paying for someone else to finish the work. He has almost admitted to us that he realises the job isn't perfect but that's what we paid for (when he charges the going rate for this work). Has told us to prove to him that he caused the dents and that the seal was incorrectly installed (it wasn't) so that's why it came off.

Ugh he really is a nasty man.

Did I mention that he turned up to the job with no ladder, considering the trailer is 9ft tall. Hence he used other customers scaffolding equipment and step ladders to reach the roof. He doesn't see a problem with this. I think he's delusional to be honest

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I am thankful for the following things at the moment;

He does not have our address
He no longer knows where our Airstream is
I have had the foresight to lock down my social media profiles so he cannot find out where I work (as he is constantly ringing my mobile both him and using withheld numbers).

I have never had anything like this happen before, nor have I had anyone be this nasty. Trying not to let it get to me

catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

What a nightmare, glad you have somewhere to put the van and it’s safe. At least you have a solid paper trail now as communications are all recorded on emails and you haven’t paid a cowboy who has run off with all the money. It must be such a sorry though, I’m sure he will just go away eventually. Have you outlined a full list of his incompetancies - no ladder, sleeping in the car etc that indicate the lack of professional conduct. If he is tempted to go to court it would be good to go in fully loaded.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Stella_11
Excited about Disney

Why would you let him carry on working on your trailer if he was causing problems straight away?

How long did the project take?

Did you not inspect the trailer at all during the restoration?

Also, if I was employing someone from 150 miles away I think I would have anticipated some of the problems you've had.

Do you honestly think withholding 75% of the bill is fair? as that is what a judge would try and determine. Especially as you allowed him to continue.
Stella_11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stella_11 View Post
Why would you let him carry on working on your trailer if he was causing problems straight away?

Initial problems were due to professional conduct (sleeping in car). We confronted him about it and he told us he had made alternative arrangements. Other problems arose later in the job when he had already completed a large chunk. Throwing him off site then would have still resulted in problems around how much of the job he had done etc. At that point, when the job was 75% done we (and our landlord) agreed to just stick it out til the end to get the job finished. Of course at that point we didn't realise he would leave the job unfinished nor damage our trailer.

How long did the project take?

Meant to take 5 days Mon - Fri as we are not permitted to be there at weekends. He didn't turn up until 2:30pm on day two and proceeded to work half days / irregular hours. We had to arrange specially for him to work out of hours on Saturday which he did and then went out again for 3 hours in the afternoon when our landlord had opened up especially. The job was finally finished the following Wednesday, so 5 days over-run. He should have been on another job from that Monday so I believe rushed the rest of it to get to his next job, although he still was 4 days late to that.

Did you not inspect the trailer at all during the restoration?

We went up the weekend it was meant to be finished but was only half done.

Also, if I was employing someone from 150 miles away I think I would have anticipated some of the problems you've had.

I am not sure why this is? He is a mobile service and travels all over the UK and Europe.

Do you honestly think withholding 75% of the bill is fair? as that is what a judge would try and determine. Especially as you allowed him to continue.

I think deducting what it costs to remedy / finish the promised work and repair the damage he has caused is fair. We employed him in good faith and he has acted truly unprofessionally. How much we will end up paying him I do not know, it depends on how much everything costs to sort.
My thoughts above

Old 29 Apr 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Small update. We took the trailer to be appraised / get a quote for rectification and finishing the job. It's much worse than we thought in that he didn't do any of the prep work properly so essentially the whole job needs starting again from scratch.

Will cost us probably £3k to put right. Much more than the payment due to him which was in the region of £1.5k. Not including repairing the damage he did.

Seeing the other trailers that had been done by this other company next to ours really made it abundantly obvious how bad ours actually was (they had about 10 there, some recently polished, some polished a year ago. Even the one done 2 years ago and stored outside looked better than ours )

Now just got to look forward to telling him he's not getting any further money. We are not going to go after him for damages, we will chalk this up to experience and I don't want any further communication with this horrible man! If he tries to sue us, he won't have a leg to stand on as we have had a independent appraisal of his poor work.

Interestingly, have now heard of two previous customers who have been unhappy with his work. Can't say I am surprised.

Old 29 Apr 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Small update. We took the trailer to be appraised / get a quote for rectification and finishing the job. It's much worse than we thought in that he didn't do any of the prep work properly so essentially the whole job needs starting again from scratch.

Will cost us probably £3k to put right. Much more than the payment due to him which was in the region of £1.5k. Not including repairing the damage he did.

Seeing the other trailers that had been done by this other company next to ours really made it abundantly obvious how bad ours actually was (they had about 10 there, some recently polished, some polished a year ago. Even the one done 2 years ago and stored outside looked better than ours )

Now just got to look forward to telling him he's not getting any further money. We are not going to go after him for damages, we will chalk this up to experience and I don't want any further communication with this horrible man! If he tries to sue us, he won't have a leg to stand on as we have had a independent appraisal of his poor work.

Interestingly, have now heard of two previous customers who have been unhappy with his work. Can't say I am surprised.
A bit of advice that may prove to be money well spent.

I would see a Solicitor and get them to send a Without Prejudice letter advisng this Guy no further payment will be made, the fact that if he pressures for any more monies then action will be taken to recover monies already paid.

May cost £200 but could nail it once and for all.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

If he starts getting nasty just say that you will no longer deal with him and if he feels you care in the wrong to deal with it in court. Just make sure you have copies of texts etc... . Photos of your Airstream / his work and a report from a different company listing all ( in their opinion) of all the errors. Also list things such as him sleeping in his car/ not bringing ladders and so on.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
If he is affiliated to the restoration workshop I would be approaching them to get their advice and also report him. It could be that his affiliation gives him some sort of insurance for times such as this and therefore you can make a claim against him of some sort
This is a good idea. I know that the work we carry out is backed by an insurance based warranty. If a customer thought our work was bad and non compliant(It would never ever get to this stage) they can have it inspected independently through our governing body who would then instruct another company to do the work to the required standard and then claim from us.
There's also a chance he is not affiliated with them and he is falsely advertising. I would give them a call to check a this would go in your favour if things turn legal.
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List