Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Nonsense.

Utter nonsense.

This has been refuted multiple times.

Your must be struggling to repeat this.

Shame on you.
But it’s not utter nonsense is it?

There is evidence that the unskilled workers pay is lower than it would have been without free movement. Not by much but still there. There are ‘some’ studies that refute this. There are ‘some’ studies that say the impact is much more. The overall consensus is a small impact on wages.

Reality Check: Has immigration held down wages? bbc/news/business-46918729
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Sixth paragraph.

"Remember this sort of research is difficult to do - comparing what actually happened with what might have happened is complex and there is considerable uncertainty about the conclusions."

Truly compelling argument that migrants have had a negative effect on wages. Glad Boris was quoted to add some gravitas to the article.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Not joining in the political talk but I shall certainly be voting, I feel very strongly that everyone should vote.
Old 13 May 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Sixth paragraph.

"Remember this sort of research is difficult to do - comparing what actually happened with what might have happened is complex and there is considerable uncertainty about the conclusions."

Truly compelling argument that migrants have had a negative effect on wages. Glad Boris was quoted to add some gravitas to the article.
There’s plenty more articles out there stating much the same if you feel the BBC is biased.
So you can’t categorically state that free movement has had zero affect on wages can you?
You can’t say what yorkshireT said was nonsense and it’s been totally refuted as though this is a fact, because it...hasn’t.
No one really knows what the differences are as you’ve pointed out. The impact ‘could’ be far more substantial than the experts think. It could be less.
So you shouldn’t be saying ‘shame’ and that someone else is incorrect because For every article you have backing up your claim there will be another one against it.
Btw I speak as a remainer but one who very much dislikes aspects of the EU - in particular the CAP policy. I’d have liked the EU to recognise that there are lots of people in lots of EU countries who are unhappy with how the EU is run, and think about addressing some of the concerns out there. If not I fear for the future of the EU and the good things it does as being wiped out.

Edited at 10:32 AM.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

My problem with the BBC is not biased reporting, it is that it is half-assed. I believe they should put a little more effort and detail into what they put out. I feel this about all their reporting.

Why I find Yorkshire T's remarks nonsense is that he says every statement he makes in this discussion is fact when it is not. And to mention migrant wages without mentioning the impact they make on our economy as a whole is misleading.

For those who support Brexit, fine.

Just stick to the facts.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Its amazing that the BBC manages to be biased to both people who want to leave and people that want to remain depending on who you speak to .

Almost like people hear what they want to hear and don't like their political view being challenged (people are guilty of this on all sides).
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread