Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jan 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
martha
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Just to update that our son and his fiance just returned today. Had 18 wonderful days in Japan, said it was the best experience ever.

Their flights were outstanding, they flew from Heathrow with Lufthansa to Germany then Ana to Japan. Home was Ana to Zurich Switzerland then Swiss Air to London City Airport. Every flight was on time and all connections were smooth. They are now on a Megabus making a very long journey home to Wales, very tired but very happy 😀
Amazing. Glad they had a wonderful time.

Do let us know if they have any must sees or tips!

Old 21 Jan 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Short legs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Pieces View Post
We paid 490 indirect, Birmingham to Paris to Tokyo with Air France via expedia. We go at the end of April
Great price! and not long to wait either please feel to share any tips and tricks!

Originally Posted by martha View Post
So I've just booked too! Very excited - decided to fly into and out of Tokyo in the end as this worked out best. Now need to decide what to do in between the flights!
Brilliant! I really need to do some proper planning on paper but as I'm studying and working I never get the time , let me know what your plans are.

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Just to update that our son and his fiance just returned today. Had 18 wonderful days in Japan, said it was the best experience ever.

Their flights were outstanding, they flew from Heathrow with Lufthansa to Germany then Ana to Japan. Home was Ana to Zurich Switzerland then Swiss Air to London City Airport. Every flight was on time and all connections were smooth. They are now on a Megabus making a very long journey home to Wales, very tired but very happy 😀
I'm so pleased for them, bet they saw loads in 18 days (although lots more to see!) Would they go back? I can't wait!
Short legs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

They would definitely go back, they loved it.

Good Points:
Transport was easy to use and very efficient. They used the subway around Tokyo and trains to Kyoto and Nagoya and said it was easy to get around
Airbnb worked very well for them and was the most affordable way. They were close to Akihabara area, which they loved and spent ages around the anime shops in this area
Tokyo Disney Sea they both loved this, our son wasnt keen on going there but totally loved it. They said it was nice to have a break from the city, and felt a little more westernised which was a nice change
The Monkey Sanctuary at Kyoto was great fun, they were nervous about the monkeys bring loose at first but they really enjoyed it
Kyoto was a fantastic place to visit but they were a little disappointed with the bamboo forest there
Nagoya Castle was somewhere they really enjoyed visiting, their photos from here are beautiful
Food, they didnt eat high end food as they couldnt afford this, and they dont like sushi, but they really enjoyed eating at the Japanese cheaper chain type of places and ate lots of ramen and different types of meals which was all tasty
Excellent flights with Ana, Lufthansa and Swiss Air. All transfers were smooth and every flight on time
Portable WiFi They has this provided from their Airbnb host. It was incredibly useful and meant they didnt get list at all throughout the trip

Bad points
Lack of being able to speak Japanese. They said this was particularly difficult when ordering food, which is another reason why they didnt eat at many nicer restaurants
The subway in London, they landed at London City airport and used the tube to get to Victoria bus station to catch bus back to Wales. They said the tube was crowded, dirty and full of people pushing and grumbling. Such a contrast to the clean, well organised Japanese system

They are coming to visit us on the weekend (as they live around 50 miles from us) so if I find out any more tips, or highlights or bad points I will post back on here. I do hope everyone enjoys their trip as much as they did. He said it was the best place they have ever visited in the world, and they have travelled a fair amount
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Than you DisneyDaffodil. We are not high end food people anyway so thats not a problem. We are going in May and suddenly the holiday seems a lot closer and not something in the distant future. I cant wait! We have still to look into portable WiFi.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Than you DisneyDaffodil. We are not high end food people anyway so thats not a problem. We are going in May and suddenly the holiday seems a lot closer and not something in the distant future. I cant wait! We have still to look into portable WiFi.
May will be a lovely month to visit. Considering they went in January, the weather was quite good, it was chilly but mainly dry with a few snowflakes in Kyoto too.
They were very lucky to get the portable WiFi free, but they had been considering paying for it. They said it was excellent and really helped them with accessing google maps for getting around
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

As a side note, I can recommend "lingodeer", after using it for a month I am getting to the point of being able to say/ask for different things now and learn the structure of sentences (learning nouns will be the hardest thing of course), understanding the replies will be a different matter!

That also being said, I have an app on my phone called VoiceTra (voicetra.nict.go.jp/en/) which live translates English->Japanese and vice versa. It seems to work quite well for simple sentences but obviously the "other person" might not like speaking towards your phone. Our AirBnb host put us onto the app as that is the one they use with multinational clients (he will be using it and so will we if necessary!)

I get to test my Japanese out in 2 weeks as im going to a get-together with a group of friends (one happens to be Japanese)...
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List