Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Feb 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Cape Town Capers - Day 8 Hout Bay (Swimming with Seals)

Day 8 – Thursday 17th January 2019

Cape Town Capers
January 2019

Cast (it’s the usual one!)
Me: Shaun, 50’s, loves travelling, eating and drinking (not necessarily in that order!)
Alison: 50’s, ditto to the above!

Trip Report Index

We’re on the move again today so we set the alarm for an early time and packed our bags before going along for breakfast. Alison was feeling a bit under the weather and I didn’t feel 100% although not booze related, possibly too much sun and not enough water.

We had a light breakfast overlooking the garden as we needed to get on the road promptly to make our way to Hout Bay for our rescheduled swimming with the seals.

We checked out then took the easy drive to Hout Bay - I was still in two minds about the swimming although didn’t want to cancel at this late stage.

There were a few minor traffic delays but we managed to park up near the location of Animal Ocean and a local chap who was (I think) employed by the company said he’d be keeping an eye on the car for us while we were away. We entered the office and signed the usual disclaimers and settled down for the all-important pre-trip briefing. They offered Go Pros for hire, but our very generous daughters bought one for us a few months ago (joint birthday and Christmas presents!) See later on in the trip report for a link to a (rather poorly edited) video!

The staff then looked us up and down individually before making a judgement call on the size of wet suit we’d need, I honestly could have told them in advance Everything was set out for outside and we all faffed around getting the kit on.

As the water was going to be cold we had some under suit vest to put on first before the wetsuit. Crikey, even though I think I had one of the larger sizes it felt like some sort of foundation garment or super Spanx – certainly made me have that perfect hour-glass figure!

So, we had a vest, wet suit (with overhead cover) boots and gloves – the only flesh exposed was our faces. We shimmied out to the waiting VW combi and drove down to the port where the Rib was waiting for us. We certainly looked the part as we boarded the boat but this outfit was playing havoc with my internal organs I can tell you as things were pushed and shoved in to areas where I’m sure they’ve never been before.

We slowly pulled out of the harbour and noticed a few seals basking in the sun on the pontoons before the skipper opened up the throttle and sped out to the drop point.

As we travelled along a large pod of dolphins chasing a shoal of fish came heading straight towards us and then followed us for a while – quite an unexpected and exciting start to the day.

The boat was anchored and we were all issued with goggles, snorkels and flippers and shown how to exit the boat safely in amongst the huge amount of seals around. Apparently the seals like it here as sharks and other predators don’t like the kelp forest and there’s huge rocks for them to scramble to safety.

Alison took charge of the Go-Pro and I pottered off but after a while I found the sea a bit choppy and heavy going. The seals were amazing, really inquisitive and came very close but careful to remain out of touching distance. They all darted around with an ease that I could only be envious of, lovely to see them up close and personal in their natural environment.

After a while I thought I’d call it a day, a combination of not feeling 100%, choppy sea and really tight wetsuit wasn’t ideal as I was having a little spot of trouble trying to remain in the same place against the tide and waves.

I made it back to the boat and was unglamorously hauled in as others were, no stylish way of getting back on board to be honest. Alison stayed in for a little while longer then followed me in before the rest of the group was called in as our time was up.

As I was waiting for the other to return I sank to my knees and looked over the side, all this bobbing up and down made me feel quite queasy but I manged to hold myself together and my breakfast down. To be honest, only a minor downside as I could have prepared myself better for the trip and would still highly recommend paying the seals a visit.

Once everyone was loaded on board we blasted back to the port and I felt a lot better with the fresh air in my face and a little sad to be leaving although we did have quite a lot of time in the sea. Once back at the office we chatted to the staff for a while over a couple of hot drinks and told them we were on our way to the airport next. They kindly offered us the staff rooms to use their shower to freshen up before getting changed back into our clothes which was a nice touch. Then we sat in the garden area with drinks for a while.

Here's the link to our first Go Pro You Tube video….apologies for the editing, still trying to get to grips with that! It's only short - about 30 seconds

When we get a chance to do another (or edit this one a bit better) I'll edit this post!

We collected our car and dropped the security man a couple of pounds and drove the short distance to Hout Bay proper to have a look around.

Lovely looking beach and couple of shops and restaurants here. We dropped by an off licence to get a couple of bottles of South African gin for the collection back home before stopping for a quick snack of a Hot Dog and soft drink before settling down in the car for the drive back to the airport.

We arrived at the airport via a couple of minor detours and filled the car up with fuel before returning back to the hire company. We grabbed a trolley and wheeled our bags to the airport and made our way to the lounge.

We settled down for a couple of soft drinks and snacks and checked e-mails and other items making full use of the free Wi-Fi. Neither of us felt particularly well but getting better, for some reason I felt really hot but Alison felt cold – strange. She dozed off for a while, as we waited for the flight to be called.

The lounge itself was spotlessly clean and the staff really pleasant. I took my change of clothes out of my hand luggage and made my way to the restrooms when a nice lady noticed me, whipped out a key and unlocked a door. To my surprise it was a toilet and shower room so I took full advantage of a real freshen up before the flight.

Not long after our gate was called and we headed to the gate.

(I’ll cover the flight home, and highs and lows in the final part of the trip report)

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

What a fab experience! Shame you were both a little under the weather!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
What an amazing day! Sorry to hear you both weren't feeling the best though.
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
amazing to swim with the seals
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List