Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Apr 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
JANELOU
Excited about Disney

Mobile New York August First Timer

Hi,

We are travelling to New York mid August with children 15 and 11. Staying in Times Square area.

We already have an idea of what we want to do/see. Do you have any good advice for first timers? We are planning on using the Subway to get around, is this safe?

Also have been looking at places for Breakfast which aren’t mega expensive, any recommendations?

Any hints, tips will be appreciated 😀

JANELOU
JANELOU is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

The subway is perfectly safe,quite easy to navigate & wouldn’t hesitate to recommend its use.
I’m sure the children will love the ride,especially at night,it’s great fun.
The high line will be lovely in August,we did it in Dec,on a lovely crisp day & thoroughly enjoyed it.
We used Andrews coffee shop for breakfast,not too pricey & lovely food.
Enjoy your first trip.
Tracy x
Old 12 Apr 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
8gotoWDW
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

We used the subway when we went and felt safe. Did a lot of walking too.
We liked times square area and went back to shower at hotel before going back out in evening - august is hot.
Can't help with breakfast sorry as ours was included at hotel.

Depends what you and the kids are into re must sees. Mine were DD aged 16 and DS was 6yrs so we split up at times to do different things. DS wanted to spend most of the time in toysrus and Central Park, DD wanted Sephora and shopping lol.

We did eat at a ninja themed restaurant which was a nightmare to find but a pretty unique experience which the kids loved.

Have a great day time.
8gotoWDW is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We used the subway when we went and it was fine.

I’d also recommend Andrews coffee shop as we had a lovely breakfast there that wasn’t too bad priced! Also we had dunkin’ donuts a lot of mornings as they do breakfast bagels and croissants too.

We really enjoyed Central Park, that place is huge and there is so much to see! The zoo was also really good. We also really enjoyed the natural history museum too.

klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Things my kids enjoyed.

Intrepid & growler
Climbing up the plinth (not statue) of the statue of liberty on first morning. (Need to pre-book this now.)
Empire State Building. (Not so enamoured of top of the rock)
Central park.
Walking Brooklyn bridge.
Best for all of them was the harbour lights evening cruise on last night. We paid extra for the preferred seating/upper decks. This was so worth it.

Eats wise they liked all the lunch truck options.
Front Street pizza in Brooklyn
Georges Diner between the world trade center and battery park.
Shake shack - anywhere!

Also. Not enjoyed exactly but found trip to the WTC memorials very moving and memorable.

Even just walking... Mum it's like being on a film set.. !

Edited at 12:33 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If you are in summer, go to the Hudson close to the Pier (around the corner from the World Trade Centre site)- free kayaking on the Hudson, run by a group of volunteers, very good.
Old 26 Apr 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsArcher2b
Excited about Disney

We loved New York! Will definitely be going back at some point.

If you want to go right to the top of the statue of liberty you have to book quite far in advance so I would check that now if that's a must do for you.

The subway felt completely safe. They do a metro card for the entire week which we got that was cheaper than getting separate tickets.

We really enjoyed Carmine's on Times Square for dinner. They serve what they call Family Style which means each meal serves 2-3 people so you could choose two options and you all get plates to serve yourselves. If I remember rightly the pre-dinner bread wasn't free which wasn't completely clear, so heads up on that one.
MrsArcher2b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

We went in August a few years ago. We fancied a day at the beach and the subway went direct from times square to Coney Island and we did the aquarium and the beach which was amazing in the boiling August weather. Walking along the boardwalk there is lovely, I really enjoyed Coney `Island and the subway is air conditioned so it was a cool journey down, took 45 mins i think.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
loved Essen and liberty bagels - both near the new yorker
found andrews rushed - they took my plate away with food still on it and literally my cup from my hand - it was busy and they were trying to rush people in and out
but food was lovely there

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Been twice, was there end of August last year for US Open Tennis.

We used a water taxi (got on at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory - which is a nice treat after walking over the bridge). The water taxi is quite cheap and gives a different view of Manhattan.

I was at Top of the Freedom towers - views are spectacular.

We walked a lot around NYC and central park and loved it. The $9 ice cream cone from the van at Central Park was definitely NOT worth it.
Our previous trip was December and it was freezing!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List