Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
travelmam
Imagineer

Cunard Cruise

Has anyone done a Cunard Cruise?
My husband and I were thinking of doing one as part of our 30th Wedding Anniversary next year.
We have read some reviews, but some of them have been negative regarding to mainly food,drinks and cleanliness.
I would appreciated any feedback you could give.

1996 All Star Sports (Florida) 1998 Sheraton Anaheim (California)
2001 Carousel Anaheim (California) 2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (Florida)
2009 Sheraton Park, Anaheim (California)

2009 - California On A Shoestring - Trip Report
2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico) 2013 El Dorado Seaside Suites, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
2015 All Star Sports (Florida) 2016 Anantara Hotel & Resorts (Dubai)
2016 Azul Sensatori, (Jamaica)

Edited at 01:22 PM.
travelmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by travelmam View Post
Has anyone done a Curnard Curise?
My husband and I were thinking of doing one as part of our 30th Wedding Anniversary next year.
We have read some reviews, but some of them have been negative regarding to mainly food and cleanliness.
I would appreciated any feedback you could give.
Did one last year and booked 3 more on the back of it.

We had no issues with food and cleanliness. In fact my wife is a very fussy eater and the maitre de was very accommodating and even went off menu for the following evening after giving a sneak preview of what was on offer.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. The constant dressing up isn’t for everyone and the ships aren’t as facility laden as other lines (no ice rink or climbing wall etc). Nice vibe onboard though and people are very chatty and it feels like how I imagined cruising used to be.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

We have taken three crossings( to and from New York ) on the Queen Mary 2. Good food, great companions ( normal cabins not Griils class), everywhere was clean, especially our cabin.
We have cruised with quite a few different cruise lines and I would say Cunard are up amongst the top of the standard lines.
They are formal though, people do dress in dinner jackets and cocktail dresses on the formal nights. Other nights a jacket is required for the dining room.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
travelmam
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Did one last year and booked 3 more on the back of it.

We had no issues with food and cleanliness. In fact my wife is a very fussy eater and the maitre de was very accommodating and even went off menu for the following evening after giving a sneak preview of what was on offer.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. The constant dressing up isn’t for everyone and the ships aren’t as facility laden as other lines (no ice rink or climbing wall etc). Nice vibe onboard though and people are very chatty and it feels like how I imagined cruising used to be.
We were thinking of going on the transatlantic cruise to NY on the QM2 next May. Have you done this cruise or are you doing the cruise at all?

We have read alot of reviews about how expensive the drinks are onboard, especially after adding the 15% additional charges.

2001 Carousel Anaheim (California) 2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (Florida)

2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico) 2013 El Dorado Seaside Suites, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
travelmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
travelmam
Imagineer

Originally Posted by June8th View Post
We have taken three crossings( to and from New York ) on the Queen Mary 2. Good food, great companions ( normal cabins not Griils class), everywhere was clean, especially our cabin.
We have cruised with quite a few different cruise lines and I would say Cunard are up amongst the top of the standard lines.
They are formal though, people do dress in dinner jackets and cocktail dresses on the formal nights. Other nights a jacket is required for the dining room.
We are thinking of doing a cruise to NY on QM2 next May, but not sure as heard so many mixed reviews.

Old 24 Apr 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by travelmam View Post
We were thinking of going on the transatlantic cruise to NY on the QM2 next May. Have you done this cruise or are you doing the cruise at all?

We have read alot of reviews about how expensive the drinks are onboard, especially after adding the 15% additional charges.
We are doing 2 short ones and a Canary island job. The Canary Islands we booked while on last years Fjords cruise because you get some good extra onboard spending money that way. For Canaries we have $700 onboard spending.

Bottles of wine onboard are expensive and we find the wine package makes it more bearable as that includes the 15% service charge. You can take your own onboard to drink in your cabin.

For drinking in the bars onboard we found beer and cocktails were the way to go for value for money.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

Weve done queen Elizabeth from NY to San Francisco via panama canal. Ship was immaculately clean, food was good not fantastic. Very dressy, in 18 nights we had 5 formal nights and the rest were smart. Customer service was generally good , we had a couple of issues that could have been better. There is a little bit of snobbery compared to other cruise lines
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My Dad is a Master Mariner and has been at sea since he was 15.

He always said he'd NEVER go on a cruise ship in his life!

3 Cunard cruises later he was proved wrong!

They (the parents) have done TA Southampton - NYC each time and he loved it!
Even dragged his kilt across the states afterwards!

We've done P&O, Celebrity and Princess and are booked Cunard with the inlaws next November - yes I know its yonks away!

However I am looking forward to the glamour and sophistication of it all.

The inlaws have also done 3 Cunard cruises and loved it and they were desperate for us to go with them! How could I refuse!

We always pick our cruises for the itinerary, although the food etc comes a close second!
We love every second and take the rough edges with the smooth.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

we really enjoyed ours to the Fjords, it was very formal though so if you don't like that it could be a problem. Main meals were good, we thought the buffet was excellent though and did themed nights. Our absolute favourite thing was drinking cocktails in the bars. We had a couple a night and they were no more expensive than cocktails i had last weekend in a pub. I can't remember what the bar was called but the one just under the bridge at the front of the ship had wonderful views and ambience. The service in there was impeccable.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
we really enjoyed ours to the Fjords, it was very formal though so if you don't like that it could be a problem. Main meals were good, we thought the buffet was excellent though and did themed nights. Our absolute favourite thing was drinking cocktails in the bars. We had a couple a night and they were no more expensive than cocktails i had last weekend in a pub. I can't remember what the bar was called but the one just under the bridge at the front of the ship had wonderful views and ambience. The service in there was impeccable.
The Commodore club? Agree about cocktails. Give maximum value for the measures of alcohol they chuck in there.