Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 27 Aug 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

I also have the Canon Eos 100D, which is the smaller lighter DSLR takes cracking pictures esp at night. The G7X does great low light video though too
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tink17 View Post
These look great! Is the zoom etc good on it?
I found the zoom to be good. I can't tell you what it is though as don't have the camera to hand.
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Canons a good camera but no 4 k video.
Sony is good, but overheats on 4k.
Panasonic does proper 4k and has a longer zoom, but slightly worse low light capability due to longer zoom.
A big issue is sensor size. Cheaper cameras tend to have a smaller sensor, less detail and less light capture.

Edited at 09:20 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve looked at the tz90 too I really am struggling to choose 🙄 how do I know which is the best?
We bought ours at Jessops, they let DD look at a few and feel how comfortable they were to hold etc. We also read reviews of the ones she liked on techradar. Like you, she wanted a flip screen, other important criteria for her was 4k recording, good sound on recording and good zoom and focusing on recording and photos. She also likes the touch screen which is very simple for focusing. It also has 4k burst which is great for taking photos of fast moving objects such as animals, my daughter has been able to take some great dolphin and pilot whale photos in Tenerife using the 4k burst. It is also a very lightweight camera, much easier to carry than her older bridge camera or a DSLR. If you want to know anything specifically, let me know and I will ask her to help.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink17
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Canons a good camera but no 4 k video.
Sony is good, but overheats on 4k.
Panasonic does proper 4k and has a longer zoom, but slightly worse low light capability due to longer zoom.
A big issue is sensor size. Cheaper cameras tend to have a smaller sensor, less detail and less light capture.
That is what has put me off the sony the fact that it overheats on video, the canon cameras have WiFi to send pictures as well which I like with my current camera. Does the Panasonic have that kind of feature?
Tink17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

That is what has put me off the sony the fact that it overheats on video, the canon cameras have WiFi to send pictures as well which I like with my current camera. Does the Panasonic have that kind of feature?
Yes the Panasonic has WiFi and an app so you can put the photos on a phone.
Sony only overheats on 4K video, I bought mine for 4K video though so it put me off the Sony. I cannot understand why a mobile can do 4K and not overheat whereas the Sony camera does. Bizarre.
Canon didn’t last time I looked do 4K at all.
Old 28 Aug 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
Originally Posted by syber32 View Post
We've just brought the canon Gx7 II used it on our recent trip, excellent video quality and sound and has the flip screen. Good photo quality almost as good as my Canon DSLR. Plenty of features and could send pics to our mobile with the Wi-Fi. It was the most I've ever spent on a small camera but I was pretty impressed with it.
I recently bought this camera too as I wanted something smaller (previously used a Nikon bridge camera) which had great video and photo quality. This camera certainly fits the bill 👍🏻

We went away to Scotland a few weeks ago so I used it properly then, very impressed.

Edited at 02:31 PM.
Laura_<3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

A DSLR will be the best in terms of battery life, image quality, performance in low/poor light, autofocus. You do need lenses and these are arguably more important than the camera.

You then have mirrorless (like the Fuji range) which are excellent and in terms of IQ wise for DX or FF sensors the same as a DSLR, just not as good at AF, battery etc...

Then 4/3, better than your average compact but not as good as a DSLR. But these and compacts have the advantage of being much smaller and lighter.

So really you need to decide what is important for you, as well as the budget!

Also, any camera will take a decent pic in florida when its bright and sunny. Where better cameras excel is also in less than perfect conditions.

Finally, editing is key. Too many people take the picture off the camera and use it - cropping is key and often its worth boosting shadows/exposure/saturation too!
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink17
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by cambsno View Post
A DSLR will be the best in terms of battery life, image quality, performance in low/poor light, autofocus. You do need lenses and these are arguably more important than the camera.

You then have mirrorless (like the Fuji range) which are excellent and in terms of IQ wise for DX or FF sensors the same as a DSLR, just not as good at AF, battery etc...

Then 4/3, better than your average compact but not as good as a DSLR. But these and compacts have the advantage of being much smaller and lighter.

So really you need to decide what is important for you, as well as the budget!

Also, any camera will take a decent pic in florida when its bright and sunny. Where better cameras excel is also in less than perfect conditions.

Finally, editing is key. Too many people take the picture off the camera and use it - cropping is key and often its worth boosting shadows/exposure/saturation too!
Thanks for your reply obviously picture quality is important but also in low level light ie nighttime but I would also like a decent enough video feature for the parades shows and fireworks etc so all that plus a flip out screen for better positioning and family photos I would like to be able to transfer photos and video footage easily so that’s important too and not a silly budget as I’m not a pro at this camera stuff by any means so possibly 550-600 is approx what I would prefer to pay I know you can get bundles with a lense etc but having no clue what is best? Think I might have to visit a camera shop? But any help is appreciated
Tink17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Depends what you will be taking pics of - also, I buy most of my gear 2nd hand as you can get much better value that way.

Canon and Nikon are much of a muchness, IIRC Nikon are slightly better at low light. Flip out screens are useful but I rarely use mine. Shooting through the viewfinder most of the time. Also means that even after shooting a wedding or airshow and taking 600 images I still have half a battery left!

A good 'general' lens would be something like a 17-55, 16-85 etc... Personally rather than get a standard lens you could get a Tamron 17-55 f2.8 second hand for around £200. This makes it easier to shoot in low light as well as getting the background blur. But the newer kit lenses do have VR which may be useful.

Something like a 55-200 can be useful but depends on what you shoot. Do you really need to zoom the much? A 50mm 1.8 lens is a great buy and pretty inexpensive. Small and light. I wouldn't necessarily go for the latest camera, a better lens on an older camera is better than a lesser lens on a top of the range one!

Another option may be the Fuji range. They have a DSLR type sensor so pretty good all rounder. shop.fujifilm/digital-cameras is a good option. Very good cameras.
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List