Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 8 Oct 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolverine
Excited about Disney

Love it following along

Oh and love a pickup truck can’t wait to see what you got
Wolverine is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great travel day your Panda Express meal sounds good value

Joan
Old 8 Oct 18, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Almost makes split flights sound more attractive than direct
Old 9 Oct 18, 03:17 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Wow! All these great comments! Thank you!

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Nice start looking forward to more
👋🏼 thank you!

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Great travel day especially the first flight which sounded great.

Hope you get your room sorted - my worse nightmare is a noisy room. I hear every little noise and am often laid awake in hotel rooms while my husband and daughters sleep 😴

Enjoy your first full day.
It really was exceptionally good. Not that I’m even thinking about going home, but let’s hope it’s as smooth going back as it was here 🤞🏼

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
What a brilliant travel day! Shame about the noise at the end, I hope a room change sorts that out for you.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Such a smooth travel day, a shame about the paper thin walls. Have a fab trip.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Eggs and avocado looked fab! Great start x
Thank you so much! And they really were!

Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Love it following along

Oh and love a pickup truck can’t wait to see what you got
👋🏼 thanks!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Great travel day your Panda Express meal sounds good value

Joan
👋🏼
Thanks! It was really yum, tates even better when it’s a bargain!

Originally Posted by Hidden mickey View Post
Almost makes split flights sound more attractive than direct
Haha I suppose I have. I was always very much of the mindset that direct was the best way and I wouldn’t compromise... until we did our first transatlantic cruise. The only reasonably priced one way flights were with icelandair with the stop in Iceland’s main airport. We did that for a few years and got used to getting a break and a stretch of the old legs. We cruised out of FL last year so got direct flights both ways which was a nice change but I just found the direct flights so long!

Edited at 12:07 PM.
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Day Two - Shopping, popping into IOA & CityWalk

As expected I was up very early on our first morning. Nothing beats that feeling does it? You have the whole holiday in front of you, two whole weeks of fun! I don’t think I’ve really mentioned our plans on here; we have been to Orlando so many times and since we are just doing Universal, we are in no rush. Today was Columbus Day so we assumed that the parks would be extra busy & that there might be extra deals at the outlets.

Once we were up and dressed we made our way to the free hotel breakfast, and here comes my first fail of the report... I didn’t take a single picture! I had two little Mickey waffles on a stick with syrup and DP made himself a bacon sandwich and we had coffee and juices. There was bread, bagels, cinnamon donuts, powder donuts, mini muffins, cereal, yogurt from a dispenser (is that trustworthy? ), freshly made waffles, hard boiled eggs, bacon, scrambled egg ‘lumps’(? like what’s in a McDonald’s breakfast bagel I think), cream cheese, peanut butter, bananas, oranges, coffee, tea, orange juice, apple juice and toasters to toast. I think that was everything! I will take some photos another day.

Honestly the selection was better than I was expecting and there was lots for me. It just depends on your tastes with these free breakfasts as they are quite limited. I would be happy to eat here most mornings; it’s free/included and fills a little hole doesn’t it?😋

Since we’ve got this far and no photos - here’s our truck!

So after breakfast we drove to our local Target (it was too early for the outlets), we got some lemon Capri suns, some snack size Chips Ahoy and I chose some watermelon sour gummy sweets. This came to $5.83. We got some other bits; some spooky Halloween socks from the dollar spot, a wooden sign with ‘hello fall’ on it, a pair of little stone headstones, a box of avengers ziplock bags and DP got a pair of Freddy Kruger pyjama bottoms. Sadly they had no Halloween women’s wear. ☹️

It was now 10am so we could go to the Premium Vineland Outlet. We parked over by UGG/Old Navy as the main car park was extremely busy. I got bargain pair of shoes from UGG - $20 for a cute pair of white and yellow espadrilles. We did some spending in Old Navy, I had $15 off $50 coupon and the lady let us split our bill 3 times so we got $35 off $150. I love Old Navy! The clothes fit me well, they are very cheap and last long enough. Most of my basics at home are from there. Next was Tommy Bahama - we got a crushed ice maker tray which I’m really looking forward to using(!), and some t shirts. I get how it might not be everyone’s style in there but the quality in the clothes is fantastic. We also buy some of our Christmas presents out here too, but I won’t be going into details 😉 🎅🏼

We then tried to drive over to the main part of the outlet (we should have just walked!) but cars were lining up to get in. We decided to call it a day and go to Disney Springs for a bite to eat.

Blaze Pizza was top of our list 🍕 We were greeted by the most friendly guy who explained the process to us as it was our first time. You can choose any / as many of the toppings as you want for a set price of around $10 or choose From some pre-selected options. We waited a few minutes before we were up, we went for half BBQ chicken & half of the seasonal ‘street corn pizza’ as well as a soda which I think was refillable. This came to $13.79 which I think is a bargain.

We took a seat outside right next to the water and shared the pizza and drink; some kind of agua fresca, I think it was kiwi but I’m not 100% sure because as I filled up the cup and started to walk away the cup split and the drink was pouring out all over the place! We were given a new cup and all was good! The pizza was ready not long after cup fiasco and it was absolutely delicious. The bottom was quite crisp, but there was still a fluffy, doughy texture to the base. I loved that you could pick up a slice without it flopping over. As for the toppings, the BBQ chicken was nice, but the street corn was incredible. So flavoursome, and really cheesy. Plus I just love corn so it was always going to be a winner to me! There were a lot of toppings so it did get a bit messy by was 100% worth it! We refilled with a blood orange lemonade on our way out (no spillages!).

We did lots of browsing and mooching and got a few bits here and there. I also managed to smash my forehead on the edge of a thick Perspex shelf in Uniqlo - luckily there is no bruise there! There was an almighty downpour while we were in World of Disney (which is looking lovely!) and sadly it was while a dance group was performing on the stage outside! They must have been soaked because the rain was literally coming in sideways.

About two and a half hours after the pizza DP was hungry again. We stopped at Earl of Sandwich and got a frozen strawberry lemonade, some tap waters and a cheesesteak sandwich and sat outside. The lemonade was quite sour which was nice, but very small for $4, oh well.

The sandwich was a real let down. We’ve never had a bad one from the Earl before but this was pretty pants. It was pretty tasteless and dry and the beef was mince which I though was weird. I only had a few bites and DP just about managed the rest.

We had a browse of the Christmas shop while we were there too and felt like it was half empty even though there was a Halloween section. We didn’t buy anything.

We made our way back to the lime garage and drove back to our hotel. We wanted to get to Universal for after 6pm (free parking on non-HHN nights) but before IOA closed at 8 to upgrade our tickets to annual passes (yay!). The line in guest services in IOA was insane (like 45 minutes! ) but we made some friends in the queue and it wasn’t terrible. The lovely lady helped us pay the extra and also applied the current deal of 3/6 months extra. I’ll quickly break it down just in case it helps someone out.

We had 14 day, 3 park tickets which we traded in at a value of $329.99 each (we paid £240 / $312 each for them and that included free tickets to see Blue Man Group). We had to pay an extra $54 for the seasonal pass and an extra $154 for the preferred pass (so now we have discounts and free parking). Plus tax this all came to $221.50 (£170). So for £650 we have our passes for the next 15 months, and we already have three holidays booked in 12 months which brings it down to £108.33 per person per trip for the tickets. I’m really chuffed with that and think we will most definitely get our moneys worth.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Dinner was now on the cards as it was coming up to 8pm. We didn’t really have a plan and just wandered about seeing what too our fancy. I’m ashamed to say in all of my trips I’ve never, ever walked up where most of the restaurants are in Citywalk! You know round the back of the Universal Studios store. We decided on Bob Marley - A Tribute to Freedom. This has always been on our list but we’ve never been - probably because we’ve never walked past it! We were seated immediately and I was completely taken back, we were in this huge room that felt just like we were outdoors under the night sky, like Pirates of the Caribbean or Sci-Fi Dine In. Oh wait, hold on, we are just actually outside. I’m sure the bang to my head earlier has a part to play in this moment of dumb! The band started up five or ten minutes after we were seated which was really lovely. It really felt like a holiday moment!

We ordered a tap water for me (designated driver and I don’t really like fizzy drinks) and a Red Strip for DP. We both shared a starter and a main which was asked for all at the same time.

Taste of Jamaica - $14.95
A tour of island flavors featuring our veggie & beef patties, jerk wings, yucca fries

Reggae Jamaican Jerk Chicken - $15.95
Half chicken char-grilled, chopped, rice and peas, sweet plantains

My goodness this was a lot of food for the two of us! We both have big enough appetites but I have to say this nearly defeated us! We shared everything and it was all really delicious. The jerk chicken was medium spicy to me. I especially enjoyed the patties (kind of like hard pasties). The yucca fries were a bit bland in my opinion, they were just like really thick chips. We both enjoyed everything and would definitely recommend, especially when the band were playing. A nice touch was they asked if the had any Canadians in the house because it was Canadians Thanksgiving which I thought was really thoughtful.

We got the bill with our first annual pass holder discount! A very reasonable $46 including tip.

We left with extremely full tummies and checked out some of the shops as well as Starbucks for the new Orlando and Florida mugs but I think they only sell the Universal mug which we already have.

Today was a lovely day. We didn’t really do a lot, but I really enjoyed doing ‘nothing’. I’m in Orlando; how can it not be a great day?!

Edited at 12:06 PM.
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Brilliant start, I think your food likes are about the same as mine and dh.
He doesn’t like fishy fish either!
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Following
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Serious Dibber

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Really enjoyable and readable report. Thanks for going to all this effort,
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Lovely day. Sounds like you have settled right in.
Blaze pizza looks great.
Have a great time.
Old 9 Oct 18, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Some great food.Do you have a pic of the Freddie Krueger pyjama bottoms by any chance ? X
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List