Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Feb 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
It’s really worrying they think the last sentence was ok. My cousins little one has a severe nut allergy and was very close to her throat closing up completely and she’s 2 . I hope they acknowledge your complaint x
I was incredulous! Surely we needed the adult allergy menu if she was eating from an adult plate?!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Infants only eat for free at buffets or family style meals. If it’s a plated meal ordered from a menu then they either eat from your plate or have to pay.

My own child is coeliac and I do feel your pain in this however that element of ‘infants eat free’ isn’t actually true and probably soured the meal prior to it even starting.

Having said that, obviously service should have still been up to scratch and they should have fully understood the allergy discussed.

Part and parcel of eating out with allergies is that you can’t always get what you want. My DD has to learn and understand this. In her case she has begun to really dislike ice-cream as it’s the usual non gluten dessert on offer and she’s sick of it. If there isn’t anything available then she’s accommodated at a later time once we have all finished.
Old 3 Feb 19, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
Infants only eat for free at buffets or family style meals. If it’s a plated meal ordered from a menu then they either eat from your plate or have to pay.

My own child is coeliac and I do feel your pain in this however that element of ‘infants eat free’ isn’t actually true and probably soured the meal prior to it even starting.

Having said that, obviously service should have still been up to scratch and they should have fully understood the allergy discussed.

Part and parcel of eating out with allergies is that you can’t always get what you want. My DD has to learn and understand this. In her case she has begun to really dislike ice-cream as it’s the usual non gluten dessert on offer and she’s sick of it. If there isn’t anything available then she’s accommodated at a later time once we have all finished.
This was our 6th trip to Disney with an infant so I’m pretty au fait on the topic of where infants do and don’t have to pay.
Akershus is a plated meal and infants eat free. All of the other mandatory charge meals allow infants to eat free. It really didn’t make a blind bit of difference to our enjoyment of the meal as we were on the dining plan and had the credits to pay for both if necessary. It was just a bit of a shock that it doesn’t work in the same way as every other character meal on site and I wanted to make people aware.

The big issues were the ridiculously slow service, including ignoring requests from me for drinks TWICE, and being really awful with the allergy meal. There’s a big difference between nothing being offered and chosing not to eat what is otherwise a common dessert. I can’t think of anywhere in Disney that offers candy floss as a child’s dessert. It would have been less of an issue had they told us what they would bring out, then we could have chosen to leave. The choice was taken out of our hands because we weren’t told what they would offer.
Old 3 Feb 19, 02:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
This was our 6th trip to Disney with an infant so I’m pretty au fait on the topic of where infants do and don’t have to pay.
Akershus is a plated meal and infants eat free. All of the other mandatory charge meals allow infants to eat free. It really didn’t make a blind bit of difference to our enjoyment of the meal as we were on the dining plan and had the credits to pay for both if necessary. It was just a bit of a shock that it doesn’t work in the same way as every other character meal on site and I wanted to make people aware.

The big issues were the ridiculously slow service, including ignoring requests from me for drinks TWICE, and being really awful with the allergy meal. There’s a big difference between nothing being offered and chosing not to eat what is otherwise a common dessert. I can’t think of anywhere in Disney that offers candy floss as a child’s dessert. It would have been less of an issue had they told us what they would bring out, then we could have chosen to leave. The choice was taken out of our hands because we weren’t told what they would offer.
I must admit, I don't really get why you think ordering a separate meal for a toddler would be free. If that were the case somebody could order, say it was for their two year old, eat it themselves and not pay. . So I am with the restaurant on that.

But there were definitely some concerning service issues here, just the length of the meal, 7:20pm to 9:55pm is absurd and doubly so with little ones in tow.
Old 3 Feb 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I must admit, I don't really get why you think ordering a separate meal for a toddler would be free. If that were the case somebody could order, say it was for their two year old, eat it themselves and not pay. . So I am with the restaurant on that.

But there were definitely some concerning service issues here, just the length of the meal, 7:20pm to 9:55pm is absurd and doubly so with little ones in tow.
Presumably you've never eaten at a Disney restaurant with an under 3. I have said this about 5 times in this thread already. All of the other restaurants with a mandatory per person charge, rather than a normal menu, offer free full meals for under 3s. I believe this is because the child price is so high and under 3s eat less/don't get the same experience as older children.
There's no choice for anyone over 3 not to pay regardless of whether they don't eat. I don't care whether this is a quirk of Disney restaurants, it's how every other one we've done has operated.

We gave our 3 year old's meal to our 1 year old, but still paid for our older daughter rather than the infant.
Old 3 Feb 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Peacemaker
Very Serious Dibber

My 2-year-old got a free meal at CRT, chicken nuggets and a scoop of mash potato, while at Akershus, he got offered pizza for free.
Peacemaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Not having any experience of dining with a person with allergies but having been in many restaurants where people with an allergy are eating I have seen the chef come out and explain what they can cook up to avert any reaction. This more so when dining in a Disney restaurant. Did your server not get the chef to come and talk to you? What other experiences did you have at the other restaurants you ate at?
Old 3 Feb 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
thanks for sharing, sounds like an awful experience and glad nothing serious happened. Disney staff training not what it was...
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Not having any experience of dining with a person with allergies but having been in many restaurants where people with an allergy are eating I have seen the chef come out and explain what they can cook up to avert any reaction. This more so when dining in a Disney restaurant. Did your server not get the chef to come and talk to you? What other experiences did you have at the other restaurants you ate at?
It’s a bit of a mix depending on the restaurant and the allergies. We saw a chef everywhere on our first trip with allergies, but the last 2 we’ve mostly managed with an allergy menu and the server. Buffets are different because we need a chef to get food from the kitchen to avoid cross contamination.
Old 9 Feb 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
Presumably you've never eaten at a Disney restaurant with an under 3. I have said this about 5 times in this thread already. All of the other restaurants with a mandatory per person charge, rather than a normal menu, offer free full meals for under 3s. I believe this is because the child price is so high and under 3s eat less/don't get the same experience as older children.
There's no choice for anyone over 3 not to pay regardless of whether they don't eat. I don't care whether this is a quirk of Disney restaurants, it's how every other one we've done has operated.

We gave our 3 year old's meal to our 1 year old, but still paid for our older daughter rather than the infant.
After a quick search On the Disney website, it says that they eat for free if sharing an adult meal (apparently at a buffet or family style this means they are allowed a plate) or a seperate meal can be purchased so, even though you’ve had a different experiences elsewhere, I doubt you’ll get too far with a complaint about that side of your experience. However, the allergy part needs looking at as I was under the impression that all the Disney restaurants were pretty hot on their allergy menu so this restaurant needs to up their game too. An email is a good idea, if only if it brings it to their attention so they can rectify it for people in the future.

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List