Notices

Old 20 Mar 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Fawkes
Helping Mickey

Will We Actually Get There 2019 - Pre-trip

I have held off starting this trip report until now 16 days before our trip because even though this trip has been more than 2 years in the planning there have been a few bumps (OK some were massive ramps) along the way.

I should introduce the cast, as it currently stands, there have been several changes along the way.
Me, age 30something, this will be my 6th trip, although my last one was in 2011.
DH, age also 30something (more somethings than me though! ), 2nd trip.
DD, age 6, is so excited she could burst at any moment, has known about this trip since the start.
Mum, age - I daren't post that on a public view she'd murder me! - I can't even remember how many trips she's done but i'll guess 8 or 9.
Auntie - again no age - think this will be trip 4.
Uncle - also on trip 4.
BIL - 2nd trip, he's excited just keeps it well hidden.

January 2017
This is when the planning of the trip began. In that miserable period after Christmas when everyone is skint. Talk between me and DH turned to holidays and taking DD to Disney. We decided that we'd go in 2019 when she would be 6. Upon mentioning this to the rest of the family my parents, the in laws, my auntie & uncle and brother in law also decided they'd like to go.

Feb 2017
At this point, my in-laws decided they wouldn't go. MIL is not a good flyer and decided she couldn't face the trip, no amount of cajoling could convince her otherwise.

April 2017
At this point with what we thought were final numbers we booked the villa. It's one we've used before on Lindfields which is an area we know well. 4 bed (3 doubles, 2 twin). First tick in the box.

October 2017
As soon as the fly drives were released we booked. We're going indirect both ways, as this was A) cheaper, B) allowed us to avoid MCO immigration. Via Atlanta. With a 10 seater van. Think we got a good deal on this.
This is when the first speed bump started to come into view. My dad had been doing some DIY and had stepped down from ladders heavily, he was suffering from bad back pain and was back and forwards to the doctor to try and sort it.

January 2018
By this point they had eventually referred Dad for an MRI. The results came back almost instantly and we found out he had cancer in his spine. This was secondary and he had a multitude of tests to discover primary lung cancer despite no outward lung related symptoms. At this point he was told that it was not curable but they could treat it to hold it off.
We sorted the relevant insurance etc out for him and continued planning.

April 2018
At this point we booked the airport hotel - Crowne Plaza Manchester - and the parking to go with it for 2 cars.
Dad was undergoing radiotherapy on his back and also had a chest infection which half way through the month hospitalised him.
On 24th April, despite being told he would be coming home on the 25th, we got a phone call from the hospital to say he has passed away. He had a blood clot from the chest infection which caused a heart attack.
The rest of April and most of May passed in a blur of arranging the funeral etc. Compounded by the fact my DH left of a tour of duty the day after Dad's funeral.

June 2018
We decided we were still going, Dad wouldn't have called off his holiday so neither would we. With this in mind we booked park tickets - Disney, Universal & SeaWorld/Busch, and I set up a MDE account and linked tickets when they arrived.

October 2018
ADR window had opened. We had decided we would mostly eat off site or in the villa but did book Be Our Guest breakfast, and Tutto Italia for dinner before the fireworks.
At this point I also booked Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for DD. Horrendously expensive but hopefully be worth it.

November 2018
With DH home I sorted ESTA's, managed to avoid ticking any boxes we shouldn't!
Also at this point I began the epic task of organising the animal sitters - with 3 horses, 4 dogs a cat and a tortoise this is always a big task.
We have managed to book the dogs & cat into kennels. A friend is coming to live in to look after the horses and another friend is looking after the tortoise.

December 2018
Nothing else really booked at this point but we did order some matching T-Shirts for the airport, much to DH's disgust!

January 2019
This is the month that threw up the next massive bump in the road. Mid January my auntie was walking down her hall way when her leg gave way beneath her. On arrival at hospital the verdict was a broken femur.
She went into surgery the next day and had it pinned. Then as an added complication during recovery she had a blood clot, obviously this made the long flight seriously in doubt.
Trying to hope for the best I went ahead and book a cruise for the Illuminations fireworks for EPCOT.

February 2019
Still up in the air, my auntie was told she had to wait until she had seen the consultant to get clearance to fly and permission to weight bear. Still trying to be positive we contacted the airline and booked special assistance.
Mid-February during half term I then notice DD was walking strangely. After 4 doctors visits and a hospital visit (privately) we got to the bottom of it. She has had a massive growth spurt (3-4cm since Christmas), unfortunately her leg bones have grown faster than the muscles/tendons which is now causing her to toe walk. She does have a referral to orthopaedics but we have been told it will probably not happen until after the holidays.

March 2019
So here we are, well done if you've made it through by the way.
First positive news this month was that my auntie was cleared to fly, and has had special flight socks fitted by the hospital.
DD is getting gradually better and is tow-walking less, she isn't in pain with it and doctor thinks it will probably have sorted itself by the time we get orthopaedic appointment through.
So it was onto fastpasses, the last of which we have booked today. Got mostly the ones we wanted, although struggled for mornings. Am currently still juggling them a bit and probably will until we go.

I will try to keep up with the trip reports this time.

Promise.
Fawkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh my goodness what a journey for you to this point. My sympathies for the sudden loss of your Dad, lovely that you are going ahead though and your mum too in his honour 👌 glad your Aunty is on the mend and hopefully your DD will be much improved for your trip. Have a fabulous time, it is well deserved!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

What a well deserved holiday it will be. Very sorry to read of the loss of your dad, I'm sure he'd want you all to have a great time.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Wow! You’re going to need this holiday. So sorry for your loss. X
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry about your Dad, what a shock. You couldn’t make it up.

Fingers crossed for a very happy holiday with everyone x
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Sorry for your loss and all the obstacles you have had to overcome. I hope everything else goes smoothly for you.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Sorry for your loss, I hope you have an incredible holiday. You all deserve it so much x
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Laurabelle84
Excited about Disney

So sorry for the loss of your Dad, what a journey you've been on. Hope you have the most amazing time when you get there as you certainly deserve it xx
Laurabelle84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Fawkes
Helping Mickey

Thanks for your replies. So over the weekend between the 3 dance shows DD has been doing I have finalised the itinerary, well nearly:

Friday 5th - travel to MAN after work, I don't finish work until 4 as I'm doing a GCSE revision class after school (which I've told them I'm taking wearing me Minnie ears! ), plan is for hubby to pick me up from work (he has the day off) and we'll head straight to the Crowne Plaza. Should take about 2 hours, so hopefully arriving sometime between 6 and 7 then it will be food and bed. My mum, auntie and uncle are travelling down earlier in the day and will check into all of the rooms.

Sat 6th - Travel day - we fly at 11am, indirect via Atlanta and arrive at MCO at 7.35pm. Planning to head straight to villa, picking up a drive thru on the way if anyone is hungry.

Sun 7th - An easy day. Breakfast out somewhere cheap & cheerful then some shopping for the villa. Rest of the day relaxing.

Mon 8th - Sea World.

Tue 9th - Animal Kingdom - fastpasses booked for Kali River Rapids, Na'vi River Journey and Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Wed 10th - Lazy morning, afternoon at Typhoon Lagoon.

Thur 11th - Magic Kingdom - BOG breakfast, fastpasses booked for Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion & Enchanted Tales. Also BBB booked for DD.

Fri 12th - Universal Studios

Sat 13th - Hollywood Studios - Fastpasses booked for Toy Story Mania, Beauty & the Beast, Star Tours.

Sun 14th - Lazy day, shopping for those who want to (probably me, mum & auntie) pool day for those that don't! Possibly look at doing an evening dinner show of some sort.

Mon 15th - Islands of Adventure

Tue 16th - Volcano Bay

Wed 17th - Another chill day, possibly Busch Gardens if we fancy the drive!

Thur 18th - Magic Kingdom again! Fastpasses booked for Space Mountain, BTMR, and Splash Mountain.

Fri 19th - EPCOT - Fastpasses booked for Soarin, Seas with Nemo & Turtle Talk. Also ADR booked for Tutto Italia for dinner and a cruise to view Illuminations.

Sat 20th - Going home. We leave MCO at 3.15pm again indirect arriving back in Manchester for 8.20am on Sunday.
Fawkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm sorry to read that this hasn't been an easy year for you. Less than a week to go and it must have felt many times like you weren't going to make it. Less than a week to go now. I hope you have a marvellous time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List