Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Apr 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Colusox
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile San Diego hotel.

I’m after a bit of advice, I’m going to San Diego in August this year.
Looking at hotels and best Western marina gateway hotel. Keeps coming up. My question is, has anybody stayed here, and what is the location like?
We are a family of four, 2 adults, kids 5&7. We will have a car.
Colusox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colusox View Post
I’m after a bit of advice, I’m going to San Diego in August this year.
Looking at hotels and best Western marina gateway hotel. Keeps coming up. My question is, has anybody stayed here, and what is the location like?
We are a family of four, 2 adults, kids 5&7. We will have a car.

Hi Colusox. I am a San Diego local and based on this hotel's location, I wouldn't personally recommend it. It is in National City, which is south of San Diego and closer to the Mexican border. It is a little out of the way of a lot of the big sights and attractions in San Diego, not much for tourists in that area, although it's not too far a drive from downtown. However, National City can be a bit sketchy in some areas- and it is not far from Logan Heights, which is really sketchy.

Have you taken a look at the Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island? Lovely location near the airport and downtown...lots of places to eat nearby, reasonable drive from the attractions. Several Dibb members have stayed here and really enjoyed it, as well as myself. You can have a look here: islandpalms/#gref

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Colusox
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Thanks for the reply Aims, I’ve been reading your thread. It’s very helpful. (Which is why we are spending 6 nights in San Diego) The island palms is a bit out of my budget. It’s so hard to find a hotel, for all the good reviews, there is always 1 or 2 bad reviews that put doubt in your mind.
Colusox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colusox View Post
It’s so hard to find a hotel, for all the good reviews, there is always 1 or 2 bad reviews that put doubt in your mind.

That is so true! All I tell myself to do is look at the average reviews- if there are more good than bad, then I try not to worry too much. And the old saying that you can't please everyone is pretty true- even the best hotels will have someone not happy about something.

San Diego tends to be a little pricey, especially over the summer months when the tourist season is at it's height. The Mission Valley area is one of the most reasonably priced areas of San Diego, although it's not as scenic as Shelter Island. It's a safe area, very centrally located and a close drive to everything, though a major freeway runs through Mission Valley so there will be some rush hour traffic on weekdays- there are some big shopping malls and lots of restaurants in the area. Mission Valley is like hotel central...lots of various levels of hotels one after the other. The Holiday Inn Express is fairly new and offers free breakfast, which is great when you are on a budget. ihg/holidayinnexpres...bp/hoteldetail

If I can help answer any other questions, please let me know. I am very glad to hear that my trip planning thread has been helpful to your planning!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
National City isn't going to give you the best San Diego experience at all, it's an area we've driven through and wouldn't entertain as a place to stay. We've stayed in the Hilton Bayside which is well placed for both the Seaport Village area and Gaslamp Quarter, but were lucky with dropping on for a good rate.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
The Best Western Island Palms is a lovely hotel in a great location. We have stayed there twice now and highly recommend it. A favourite with lots of Dibbers.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List