Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Apr 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Packable Jackets, Stiff Bananas and Crossings to Africa! (Jan/Feb 2019) Travel Home Day

Day 14 – Thursday 7th February 2019

We both slept badly, and woke up relatively early at 6.10am. We were ready to leave by 8.10am, but decided to stay in the room for a little bit longer else we would be spending hours at Disney Springs. Dave called his Mum, and I spent some time messaging my Mum to plan a family break to Center Parcs for later in the year with my sister, her husband and our soon to be born niece.

We eventually headed down to the front lobby and out to bell services, where a couple of nice bell boys helped me weigh all the cases whilst Dave fetched the car. They were all 20kg or under – phew! No shuffling round required, so the cases were all locked up and at the kerbside ready when Dave pulled up.

We drove round the corner to Disney Springs, and checked in there. For $10 each, this makes the last day a lot less stressful and left us baggage free for the rest of the day.

It was bright, sunny and warm today – well, we were going home! We went to Starbucks for a drink and pastry, and it was incredibly warm in there. We wandered around Disney Springs, then decided to have a mooch over to Saratoga Springs. We didn’t get much farther than the path that runs alongside the Sassagoula River. That place is huge! It looked lovely though, certainly somewhere we would like to stay on a future trip.

We had one last look in World of Disney, and I bought myself an Alex & Ani bracelet with the castle on it, and the Disney Parks soundtrack CD.

It was time for our lunch reservation at the new Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill. We were seated swiftly, and the place was pretty much empty. Our waiter was very friendly, and they were very accommodating with my allergy – they made me a pizza with no cheese! And it was lovely.

We declined dessert as we were full from the massive pizzas, but we did tip the waiter as if we had eaten dessert – it wasn’t his fault that we couldn’t manage it.

We enjoyed a last stroll around the Springs and spent some time sat down in the shade too – we were trying not to get too sweaty in the clothes we would be wearing for a fair few hours yet.

We drove to the airport and made it back to the car drop off. I felt a bit anxious about this as I knew we would need to speak to someone about the credit card situation. The drive to the airport was ok – the lanes are a bit confusing at the end, but now we have done it once I think it will be easier next time.

The guy who checked our car back in sent us to the office to speak to someone about our outstanding balance. The manager we saw was really helpful when we explained the situation, and just charged my debit card the $19 we owed for fuel. Sorted!

We made our way towards security to see how long the lines were – 40 minutes! There were also signs saying not to even join the security line until 2 hours before your flight. It was only about 2.30pm so we had a bit of time to kill! We sat down and I got us a drink each from Cinnabon as we were thirsty. We had a look round the shops and sat down for a little bit longer. Whilst we were sat down we saw a chap ask someone who worked at the airport where the desk for a specific airline was. The answer – at Sanford Airport! Oops. The nice lady who worked at the airport helped him carry his stuff to the taxi rank, and he was super early for his flight so she was confident he would still make it on time. Phew! Reminded me of those last couple of episodes of Friends though…

It was time to head for Security, and we spotted the Kennedy Space Center Shop on the way. I suggested we pop in to have one last look for the 'Failure is not an option' mug that Dave wanted. And would you believe it - they had it! The holy grail of all mugs! So I duly purchased 2 of them and made Dave very happy. I wrapped them in my coat and then put them in my hand luggage in the hope that they would make it home intact (they did).

I bought some more juice to take on the plane, and it was soon time to board the plane. As we boarded for PE, we heard another couple say ‘I guess us peasants board last’. I wouldn’t call anyone who flies with Virgin a peasant!

The flight was 7 hours 40 minutes long, and relatively uneventful. PE was half empty, so why one particular person felt the need to not just recline their seat but ram it into the poor lady behind him multiple times was beyond me – Dave said he felt so bad he almost got up to get a member of the crew. The lady must have been so uncomfortable, as it also looked like she had recently invested in some facial fillers which swelled as we gained altitude. Not a pleasant man at all – he had already tried to blag a free upgrade to Upper at the desk in the airport. I managed to work out what this mad did for a living too, and all I’ll say is his behavior did not befit someone of his occupation. I know you are all wondering, and yes – as you well expected I had a recliner in front of me too. I had nobody behind me though, so I did recline too. I watched/slept through Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again about three times.

We soon touched down in Manchester, and this is the part I could not believe – our bags were first off the plane! All 4 suitcases were in the first batch of bags off. We loaded them up into the car (filling the back seat and boot) and headed for the first service station to get a bacon buttie and a coffee. The barista made a really cool pattern in the coffee...

We arrived home at 10.45am, and Dave went to bed whilst I unpacked and started the laundry. Fudge came home at 1pm and I was so glad to see him! I missed him a lot on holiday, especially when I saw the lovely service dogs. He is the best fur baby I could ask for!

I had placed an online food shopping order before we went on holiday, and this arrived at about 4pm. My Dad popped over to bring us our keys back (I always leave my full set of house keys and any spare car keys etc with them), and I gave him the gifts for we had got for him and my Mum.

We had the Sainsbury’s takeaway box I had ordered for us and watched some of the Grand Tour, before heading to bed. We were so glad to be home, especially to be back with this floofy baby.

Don’t get us wrong – we enjoyed the holiday, but was it our best ever? No it really wasn’t. I think the cold weather and credit card situation put a downer on the whole thing. We also encountered some pretty unimpressive cast members on this trip.

But – we are determined to get back on the horse, so we are going back in June! Watch this space for a pre trip report.

Thanks for reading along – and I’ll see ya real soon!

STEPS: 13,703

TOTAL STEPS: 258,965
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
candycat75
Imagineer

candycat75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow another trip so soon, how exciting!
Old 6 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Fabulous trip report, I have really enjoyed reading along and look forward to the next one. Awful about your credit card and such a shame that Disney have some uninterested and rude cast members. Always great to return home when you are welcomed by such a beautiful fur baby!
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by candycat75 View Post
Wow another trip so soon, how exciting!
I know - have a super time on your trip too!
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Fabulous trip report, I have really enjoyed reading along and look forward to the next one. Awful about your credit card and such a shame that Disney have some uninterested and rude cast members. Always great to return home when you are welcomed by such a beautiful fur baby!
Thank you for reading along - Fudge definitely makes coming home an awful lot easier!
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

SSR is indeed lovely, we stayed at the Grandstand, you r dog is so adorable. Enjoyed reading along.
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Loved reading your trip report, enjoy your June trip✈️

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Inky View Post
SSR is indeed lovely, we stayed at the Grandstand, you r dog is so adorable. Enjoyed reading along.
Thank you! I know I am biased but he is just the best
Old 6 Apr 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by spenners View Post
Loved reading your trip report, enjoy your June trip✈️
Thank you for reading along!
Old 6 Apr 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your trip. I've really enjoyed reading along.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List