Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Apr 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

West Coast Accommodation - Thoughts Please!

Looking for some advice from experienced WC dibbers please
We (me, Mrs FBF and FBF Juniors 19 and 16) are visiting the WC for the first time this July/August for 18 nights and currently have all our accommodation booked on cancellable rates and only when adding up the total cost of all of the accommodation have we realised it comes to just over £4,500 which averages out to £250 per night.
If I think of it as a total figure it sounds horrendous but as an average rate I don't think it sounds too bad so which is right? As there are 4 of us we've gone for big rooms wherever possible and paying for rooms with views but are we just throwing our money away by doing that?
The full list of accommodation we have booked is:

Nights 1-3 - San Fran - Columbus Motor Inn (1K + 1Q)
Nights 4-5 - Monterey - Hotel Pacific (Premium Junior Suite 2D + sofa bed) or Springhill Suites The Dunes at Monterey Bay (2Q + sofa bed ocean view) One of these hotels will have to be cancelled when we can finally make up our minds which one
Nights 6-8 Marina del Rey - Jamaica Bay Inn (Marina View Suite)
Nights 9-13 - San Diego - Humphreys (Grand Marine Suite)
Nights 14-16 - Anaheim - Candy Cane Inn (Premium 2Q)
Nights 17-18 - Burbank - Coast Anabelle (Deluxe 2Q)

Would appreciate your thoughts. Should we go good hotel/not so good hotel etc? Any recommendations for alternatives?
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

We are planning to use Airbnb for our trip next year, may be worth a look at some of those
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Isn't airbnb banned in some places?
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I can only say that when we visited the West Coast with our two teens our budget was £100/night and we met that (on average). We didn’t stay in the same locations you list, we were in San Francisco, Yosemite, Vegas, Anaheim. It would have to be special for me to spend £250 but maybe some of your locations that is simply not achievable? We’ve stayed in Anaheim quite a few times, and also San Diego, and we didn’t pay anything like £250 a night.
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I can only say that when we visited the West Coast with our two teens our budget was £100/night and we met that (on average). We didn’t stay in the same locations you list, we were in San Francisco, Yosemite, Vegas, Anaheim. It would have to be special for me to spend £250 but maybe some of your locations that is simply not achievable? We’ve stayed in Anaheim quite a few times, and also San Diego, and we didn’t pay anything like £250 a night.
I agree

There’s no way I could or would pay £250 a night for 2/3 weeks , nothing like I’ve ever paid .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
The issue is I think you’ve gone for suites / premium rooms .

We have 2 kids , ones 20 ( female ) the other 16 ( boy ) and also a baby granddaughter now that travels with us and we just share a room . The kids have never once objected to sharing a bed and will again next month . I couldn’t afford £4/5k just on hotel rooms .

We manage to average out £100 a night on the west coast each year .

Personally I don’t think the candy cane inn is worth anywhere near what it charges a night , there are loads of good neighbour hotels just as nice if not nicer which are much cheaper .

I don’t pay for views either . We literally just sleep in the room so not worth paying the extra .

Edited at 09:38 PM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I agree

There’s no way I could or would pay £250 a night for 2/3 weeks , nothing like I’ve ever paid .
Do you have any recommendations for alternatives?
Old 8 Apr 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Definitely have a look at Airbnb or home away, we have used these on our last 2 trips and they have been great.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Isn't airbnb banned in some places?
Not that I am aware, I think as long as you stick to the super hosts and check reviews it’s pretty safe to use, and think I’m right in saying that you pay Airbnb not the owners! There are some great properties to rent, just download the app and have a look through!
Old 8 Apr 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Do you have any recommendations for alternatives?
Anaheim , there’s at least 3 Best western in walking of the parks ,

I wouldn’t be paying for suites or views either , I mean you’re going to be seeing the views when glue out and about each day .