Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 10 Apr 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wooden Top View Post
Had it at Florida Mall car park a few times which isn't surprising as it's in a dodgy area rife with prostitution and drugs. Just got to to be polite but firm.
Yeah I’ve had it there too at the Florida mall.
Don’t know why but it always feels abit more scary in the us!
Maybe it’s the gun crime you see every day on the tv over there or the things going on just seems to be abit more violent then what we get in the UK sometimes.
You never know if these beggars are genuine or meth heads etc.
Remember driving around Miami a few years ago and every other traffic light they’re walking up and down the cars asking for money with cardboard signs, very sad.
glenandem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

People beg in the US (and I assume UK, too) because they make a good living doing so. I beggar can make several hundred dollars in a shortened workday. And they don't pay silly things like taxes. So long as the "job" is fairly lucrative, has flexible hours and no hiring requirements, begging will continue.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BufordT
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
People beg in the US (and I assume UK, too) because they make a good living doing so. I beggar can make several hundred dollars in a shortened workday. And they don't pay silly things like taxes. So long as the "job" is fairly lucrative, has flexible hours and no hiring requirements, begging will continue.
They May also be homeless, poverty stricken, under an addiction, have mental health problems, broken home etc etc. I am guessing those numbers outweigh the ones doing it as a lucrative street venture.
BufordT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Seen them again on two occasions near 192 lights near the rv sales place and further down near the buena vista outlet, they’re walking down the lanes of traffic asking for money for food!
Yes it’s nothing new and we have it in the UK too but I’ve never seen it so bad here in the us before!
Sometimes I do wonder in the supermarket though if we have something about us that makes us stand out as visitors and that’s maybe why they approach us so much.
glenandem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Other sob tales are: have run out of petrol, got a puncture and not quite got enough to get the tyre repaired. When we were in Costa Rica earlier this year they are a lot of beggars and we had one trying to give us a sob tale how she was out on the streets but she had a perfect pedicure and manicure in a very fetching shade of purple! In our area the homeless charities are saying not to give money to beggars but to homeless charities who will work out how best to help them. Also warning about those who are purely professional beggars who arrive with a sleeping bag earlyish in the morning and then sit on the streets all day and go home to their own property in the evening.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
Seen them again on two occasions near 192 lights near the rv sales place and further down near the buena vista outlet, they’re walking down the lanes of traffic asking for money for food!
Yes it’s nothing new and we have it in the UK too but I’ve never seen it so bad here in the us before!
Sometimes I do wonder in the supermarket though if we have something about us that makes us stand out as visitors and that’s maybe why they approach us so much.
The answer is that yes, you stand out as a visitor!

It is incredibly easy to work out who is British/Irish, who is American etc.

Brits have a ‘look’ that is recognised in the likes of Orlando.

Just like in London, you can just tell by looking at someone without hearing them speak if they’re a Brit/Irish or if they’re German/Scandi or if they’re Italian/Spanish or if they’re American etc.

It’s the same all over the world; it can’t easily be explained but it can often be easy to pinpoint visitors & the region of the world that they come from.

I think a lot of it is the manner in which different nationalities wear their clothes; a Brit & an American could stand beside each other both wearing shorts, t-shirt & trainers but you can just tell which is which!

Edited at 09:54 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

We have a beggar/homeless man who sits outside our Vet.
Considering our bill this week to have our poor dogs teeth out was nearly Ł600... I think he's definitely in the wrong place.

Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
The answer is that yes, you stand out as a visitor!

It is incredibly easy to work out who is British/Irish, who is American etc.

Brits have a ‘look’ that is recognised in the likes of Orlando.

Just like in London, you can just tell by looking at someone without hearing them speak if they’re a Brit/Irish or if they’re German/Scandi or if they’re Italian/Spanish or if they’re American etc.

It’s the same all over the world; it can’t easily be explained but it can often be easy to pinpoint visitors & the region of the world that they come from.

I think a lot of it is the manner in which different nationalities wear their clothes; a Brit & an American could stand beside each other both wearing shorts, t-shirt & trainers but you can just tell which is which!
Whilst this is true its also a bit generalistic.

I mean i can sit at the mall and play guess then english family and do quite well.

But ive been mistaken for just about every nationality going when out there except for british!

The Florida Mall is full of tourists, be them american, be them british, mexican, russian etc etc. Its an odds game thats stacked in the favour of the begger guessing youre a tourist! Same with the outlets, same with people in the holiday areas. After all its a tourist area isnt it.
Old 10 Apr 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It happens me every time I go up to Dublin. If it happens abroad I start talking in Irish, that usually solves that problem, doesn't work for Dublin though.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JAF View Post
In our area the homeless charities are saying not to give money to beggars but to homeless charities who will work out how best to help them.
For me, this nails it. Here or the US. No point in any of us trying to work out if individual beggars are "deserving" or "undeserving". Passing judgement either way is anecdotal and says more about our personal worldview than the reality of any given situation.

Leave it to the pros and channel any donations to those who know best how to aid those in legitimate need.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List