Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 12 Apr 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by LawrenceFamily View Post
Can't really argue with any of that but that won't mean that people won't be disappointed with the perks being taken away. Especially those who have been loyal customers to Disney for years.

To say that people could always go and holiday elsewhere is the only thing I think you're wrong in saying. It's a two finger salute to all of the people that have helped and supported them become the 'business' they are now. Yes they have every right to remove them but it's still not a great way to treat your customers. Most companies lose sight of this through greed. The best ones don't.

On a personal level I'm disappointed that we won't be able to stay later in the evening - some of our best memories have been riding the mine train or splash mountain at midnight as a family.

Such a shame
I’m one of those people who have supported them over the years, my kids were 2 & 3 when they first went to Disney and have been going every year since. This year my DD is celebrating her 21st birthday there. During that time we have taken advantage of load of perks and freebies that Disney didn’t need to offer. My personal favourite was Year of a Million Dreams and I can totally relate to your memory of late nights in MK. But what I think has happened is that people have got used to these freebies and have come to expect them as a given right rather than the extras they are. So now instead of appreciating the extras they’re just giving out about Disney all the time.

As far as I’m aware Seaworld and Universal don’t offer any free perks and charge for extra services yet no one is moaning about them.

But even with all these changes people will still visit as it’s still a great holiday, if you’d never been before you wouldn’t be aware of what they used to offer and would still have a great time.

I miss some of the things they offered but times change and things move on and less freebies from Disney is one of them and while we lament their passing perhaps it’s time to stop treating it like Disney are trying to pull a fast one on their customers.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
Extra Magic Hours are a perk that's offered to on site guests, and as a perk, Disney are well within their rights to modify or remove it as they see fit. There have been may perks over the years (which we all took advantage of) in response to a drop in attendance following 9/11 but since then the numbers have steadily increased and Disney no longer need to offer any incentives to fill the parks / rooms.

There seems to be a lot of Disney bashing going on lately, but whats not being address is the fact that Disney are a business and as such are there to make as much profit as they can. The fact they are now offering so many paid extras goes to show that there are people willing to pay for them and while that's the case they'll probably remove further perks and start charging for them.

At the end of the day your park tickets allow you into the parks during set times and that's usually 9am - 9pm, even Seaworld and Universal close at a similar time and no one is complaining about that. I appreciate MK closes early for the Halloween and Christmas parties but that has always been the case. As an on site guest you can still get EMH in the morning if you want which is more than off site guests get.

The bottom line is that Disney can and will charge what they like for extras, and it doesn't matter how much Bob Iger earns or whether they want you to pay $6 to have groceries delivered to your room. If people don't like it then they should vote with their feet and find somewhere else to go on holiday rather than moan every single time Disney does something they don't like. There's going to be plenty more extra charges and we just have to get used to it as it's your choice to pay or not.
People do have a right to moan about blatant money grabbing and post about an obscene wage increase. Holidays at WDW are becoming out of reach for a lot of people. Just check out the free DDP thread and the fact it is being launched again in 2020 has meant some people have now made the decision that they can go.
Of course if people don't like reading criticism of Disney they can vote with their feet and not read about it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
People do have a right to moan about blatant money grabbing and post about an obscene wage increase. Holidays at WDW are becoming out of reach for a lot of people. Just check out the free DDP thread and the fact it is being launched again in 2020 has meant some people have now made the decision that they can go.
Of course if people don't like reading criticism of Disney they can vote with their feet and not read about it.
..Absolutely
macdonald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

People do have a right to moan about blatant money grabbing and post about an obscene wage increase. ...

People do like to bash people they call Disney-bashers!

We all have the right to lament the changes Disney have been making the last few years and the direction they're going in (whether we choose to return there or not).

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one commenting who has always loved Disney and is, therefore, concerned at how they seem to be undermining their own product. People aren't moaning for the sake of moaning - this is a place of Disney fans!

Chipping away small pieces of the Guest experience may not seem a big deal in isolation, but when you step back and see the bigger picture, you see a much bigger difference.

We're not ignoring the fact that Disney is a business - that comment arises a lot and is pretty condescending. Especially, since I think it's myopic to say a business is only about money -- at least, if you want to keep making money!

When you stop caring about your "Guests" and the reality of their experiences (especially when you built your reputation on caring more than anyone else) - that really can affect your bottom line in the long run. Albeit, a long run they haven't reached yet - that doesn't mean they won't.

I don't like to see the way certain aspects that were at the heart of Disney (and which made it the unique business it was) being lost.

Disney has enjoyed a lot of success based on the quite unique sentiment it has sparked in its Guests and the way it looked after them. For quite a number of Americans, for example, it's become something of a rite of passage to introduce each new generation to the parks. ...But if Guests (old and new) experience ever diminishing returns for their dollars, how long will the word spread be good?

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
But that’s what I don’t get, how is removing a freebie money grabbing ? If you’re given something for free but then the company chooses not to offer it anymore surely it’s their choice. If they decided to offer a paid alternative in its place then people can either choose to pay for it or not. Some people might not want to pay for it but there are plenty who will.

At the end of the day they are a business not a charity. They took a business decision years ago to offer perks to entice customers to spend money on what in essence is a luxury product not a necessity, at a time when there was a financial crash and also a reluctance to travel to the USA. Those perks persuaded a lot of people to visit and the brand has such a following that people return year after year and it’s now got to the stage where they can fill rooms / parks without offering any extras so why would they still need to do it. I know some will say that they owe it to their loyal customers but as one of those I’ve already been rewarded well for my loyalty with all the perks I’ve received over the years.

For quite a few years there have been a lot of glitch flight prices where airlines have offered really cheap fares to Florida. That hasn’t happened this year yet there’s not a load of threads criticising the airlines for charging the prices they do!

I know a lot of people are excited that the DDP is back for 2020 but again, that’s another perk and will probably be gone in a year or two but we’re talking about a luxury holiday to Florida not a week in Skegness (no offence to anyone in Skeggy &#128514 so there will always be people who who can go multiple times a year and those who can only go every few years and that won’t change whether Disney offer the DDP or not.

It’s not about not liking to read criticism of Disney it’s about the fact that the criticism seems to be constants about the same things.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post

People do like to bash people they call Disney-bashers! .

I’m not one of those zealots who won’t hear a bad word said about Disney I’ve done enough moaning about them myself over the years. It just gets a bit boring when there’s thread after thread everytime something changes but then I guess some people like to have a moan :

When you stop caring about your "Guests" and the reality of their experiences (especially when you built your reputation on caring more than anyone else) - that really can affect your bottom line in the long run. Albeit, a long run they haven't reached yet - that doesn't mean they won't.

I don't like to see the way certain aspects that were at the heart of Disney (and which made it the unique business it was) being lost.

Disney has enjoyed a lot of success based on the quite unique sentiment it has sparked in its Guests and the way it looked after them. For quite a number of Americans, for example, it's become something of a rite of passage to introduce each new generation to the parks. ...But if Guests (old and new) experience ever diminishing returns for their dollars, how long will the word spread be good?

[/COLOR]

I agree that the guest experience is a huge part of the Disney brand and what keeps a lot of guests returning and unless I’ve been very lucky I don’t think the guest experience has changed that much. There will always be the odd grumpy CM but for the most part the CM’s I’ve met are still always engaging and happy to go out of their way to assist you or sometimes make things magical for you. Them deciding to take away a freebie and give me the opportunity to pay for it if I still want it doesn’t make my experience any less enjoyable. If I don’t agree with the charge I just won’t pay it.

Ultimately Disney will fill their parks whether I choose to go or not, they are making these changes and will continue to make them whether we like it or not

Edited at 04:10 PM.
Old 12 Apr 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
But that’s what I don’t get, how is removing a freebie money grabbing ? If you’re given something for free but then the company chooses not to offer it anymore surely it’s their choice. If they decided to offer a paid alternative in its place then people can either choose to pay for it or not. Some people might not want to pay for it but there are plenty who will.

At the end of the day they are a business not a charity. They took a business decision years ago to offer perks to entice customers to spend money on what in essence is a luxury product not a necessity, at a time when there was a financial crash and also a reluctance to travel to the USA. Those perks persuaded a lot of people to visit and the brand has such a following that people return year after year and it’s now got to the stage where they can fill rooms / parks without offering any extras so why would they still need to do it. I know some will say that they owe it to their loyal customers but as one of those I’ve already been rewarded well for my loyalty with all the perks I’ve received over the years.

For quite a few years there have been a lot of glitch flight prices where airlines have offered really cheap fares to Florida. That hasn’t happened this year yet there’s not a load of threads criticising the airlines for charging the prices they do!

I know a lot of people are excited that the DDP is back for 2020 but again, that’s another perk and will probably be gone in a year or two but we’re talking about a luxury holiday to Florida not a week in Skegness (no offence to anyone in Skeggy &#128514 so there will always be people who who can go multiple times a year and those who can only go every few years and that won’t change whether Disney offer the DDP or not.

It’s not about not liking to read criticism of Disney it’s about the fact that the criticism seems to be constants about the same things.
Sorry, been shopping.

I care not a jot about these Evening events or other freebies that Disney have offered to DVC Members and also everybody else. We don't avail ourselves of those traditional perks as we hit the Parks by 9.00am and are gone by 4..00pm(ish).

What I do care about is the constant drip drip of squeezing the customer until it becomes what Disney want - high rollers only.

I could fill a page with their recent ideas but that will be boring. To me the final straw was the blatant scam they tried ref the 2020 Points chart. That sent a very clear message to me. We thank you for your investment, but we are now going to foreshorten your visits unless you buy more Points. What happened? They got spanked.

Every paid for evening event impacts Joe Public. Come 4.30pm they are actively trying to get you out of the Park. Fast passes, forget it. We will make it so boring for you that you will leave. But worry not here come the Guests we want, those who have paid for entry and in addition paid for an event.

I spent donkeys years in business. Our motto was 'never forget your loyal customer base' Why? Because they are the ones who stick with you in the lean years.

Best quote I ever heard in one of our top management Meetings from a grizzled old campaigner. ''Why don't we under promise and over deliver'' Best thing I ever heard.
Sadly Disney don't subscribe to that.

I rest my case.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:25 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

[/color]

I’m not one of those zealots who won’t hear a bad word said about Disney I’ve done enough moaning about them myself over the years. It just gets a bit boring when there’s thread after thread everytime something changes but then I guess some people like to have a moan :...
I don't think it's fair to dismiss other people's opinions as "some people like to have a moan". You really can't speak for other people and you don't have to read the threads!

I agree that the guest experience is a huge part of the Disney brand and what keeps a lot of guests returning and unless I’ve been very lucky I don’t think the guest experience has changed that much. There will always be the odd grumpy CM but for the most part the CM’s I’ve met are still always engaging and happy to go out of their way to assist you or sometimes make things magical for you. Them deciding to take away a freebie and give me the opportunity to pay for it if I still want it doesn’t make my experience any less enjoyable. If I don’t agree with the charge I just won’t pay it.

Ultimately Disney will fill their parks whether I choose to go or not, they are making these changes and will continue to make them whether we like it or not
It's a Disney information and discussion forum. The point is to talk about Disney in any way individual posters choose.

I wrote elsewhere, that I never really saw EMH as a freebie. It's something you've very much paid for as part of the resort accommodation/ park tickets package.

Of course, Disney can choose to take that away (just like they can end the regular MK evening parades, lower ride capacity, have shorter opening hours, lower their food quality, potentially charge for FPs) - but all those things (along with others) make a direct impact on the Guest experience.

That's worth talking about, especially when you really care about the future of it all.

...What I do care about is the constant drip drip of squeezing the customer until it becomes what Disney want - high rollers only.

I could fill a page with their recent ideas but that will be boring. To me the final straw was the blatant scam they tried ref the 2020 Points chart. That sent a very clear message to me. We thank you for your investment, but we are now going to foreshorten your visits unless you buy more Points. What happened? They got spanked.

Every paid for evening event impacts Joe Public. Come 4.30pm they are actively trying to get you out of the Park. Fast passes, forget it. We will make it so boring for you that you will leave. But worry not here come the Guests we want, those who have paid for entry and in addition paid for an event.

I spent donkeys years in business. Our motto was 'never forget your loyal customer base' Why? Because they are the ones who stick with you in the lean years.

Best quote I ever heard in one of our top management Meetings from a grizzled old campaigner. ''Why don't we under promise and over deliver'' Best thing I ever heard.
Sadly Disney don't subscribe to that.

I rest my case.
WELL SAID!

And that loyal customer base has supported Disney beyond their own custom - they've been providing a big informal marketing network and consultancy service!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 06:32 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
I don't think it's fair to dismiss other people's opinions as "some people like to have a moan". You really can't speak for other people and you don't have to read the threads!
When it’s the same old thing being churned out time and again it tends to constitute a moan, I normally don’t bother reading those threads but there’s so many of them lately they’re hard to avoid. The Dibb is mainly about trip planning and advice. Perhaps we need a new venting forum or a social group set up

I wrote elsewhere, that I never really saw EMH as a freebie. It's something you've very much paid for as part of the resort accommodation/ park tickets package.
I remember a time when there weren’t EMH so for me they were always a bonus

That's worth talking about, especially when you really care about the future of it all.
I agree but there’s a difference between talking about things or just criticising without offering any solutions

Anyway you’re right, best to just walk on by these threads in future, I think it’s a symptom of our society that everyone has become too entitled.

Edited at 08:33 PM.
Old 12 Apr 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Some didn't even seem to mind when Disney tried to dilute their paid for DVC with 'lockoff premium' but thankfully many did stand up and say they were not having it and threatened legal action. Now thanks to them, our points are not diluted. Unbelievably I even saw Disney apologists supporting that move, not on here but Facebook.
It's like Riviera and resale restrictions- 'Good job Disney ' I read. These people don't seem to have twigged it will actually make availibility worse for them and it's been done solely so DVD can make even more money.
People are perfectly entitled to criticise nickel and diming and diminishing of their experience. It's also not easy to vote with your feet without losing money when you've invested 30k+ in Disney.
I agree with Tom above, if on a Disney forum someone doesn't like reading criticism of Disney, just scroll on by.
Up until maybe 2 years ago, I was a huge advocate for Disney and DVC, but these last 2 years, wow, they are testing our customer loyalty at every turn.
They'll need us next recession, by then Iger and much of his management will be gone.
I have Disney shares btw, so from an investor perspective it looks good now, but I'm concerned about short termism.

Edited at 08:35 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List