Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 17 Apr 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
chriswol
Getting to know the DIBB

Driving to Cape Coral

Hi, we are going to spend our second week in Cape Coral in a villa. First time travelling outside of Orlando! We are staying in Kissimmee on our fist week. My question is, what is the best road to travel across to Cape Coral? I do not want to go on the freeway but would like to see a bit more of Florida on our drive. Is there any places to stop and visit on our way that you would recommend? Also will it be easy to find somewhere to stop for lunch? Thanks
chriswol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Must admit when we go that way we always go I4 then I75, we do stop at the outlets at Ellenton usually. St Armands Circle in Sarasota is a lovely little detour off the free way.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Must admit when we go that way we always go I4 then I75, we do stop at the outlets at Ellenton usually. St Armands Circle in Sarasota is a lovely little detour off the free way.
Agreed... this is the way that we travel from Orlando to Cape Coral with a break at Ellenton Outlets.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 06:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chriswol View Post
Hi, we are going to spend our second week in Cape Coral in a villa. First time travelling outside of Orlando! We are staying in Kissimmee on our fist week. My question is, what is the best road to travel across to Cape Coral? I do not want to go on the freeway but would like to see a bit more of Florida on our drive. Is there any places to stop and visit on our way that you would recommend? Also will it be easy to find somewhere to stop for lunch? Thanks
Hi Chris - we oft drive from/to MCO to Pine Island, just west of Cape Coral, been coming to SW Fl for 20+ years and have never yet used the I-4/I-75. We opt for the 'spine road', the 17, vs motorway craziness, it saves circa 40 miles and is a more relaxed drive, passing orange groves, farms and quieter areas. The only busy segment is Winter Haven but you're thro that quite quickly. I've knocked out a map from Orlando (27) to Matlacha purely as an example, HERE. If you opt for the 17 I'll gladly give 'pointers' for the drive down, there's only one left turn to be aware of (Lake Alfred) to remain on the 17S, then it's straight all the way, thro Arcadia, onto the I-75 (signed Naples) for one junction, onto Burnt Store Rd to CC. Plenty of places to stop and eat, depending on your Orlando location the drive down is circa 3.5 hours.
Old 18 Apr 19, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

That looks a brilliant route, will save it for next time.
Old 18 Apr 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
chriswol
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks for the replies, Chris S thanks for the map. I will definitely use the 17 road. It would be lovely to see Orange groves and quieter areas off the beaten track. Would love to know of any nice places to stop on our way down.
chriswol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 04:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
That looks a brilliant route, will save it for next time.
Hi Granny, I re-checked the map and altered a deviation, should now be the route we take (below) We like it, 40 mile less, considerably less traffic and, in general, mainly dual carriageway.

Originally Posted by chriswol View Post
Thanks for the replies, Chris S thanks for the map. I will definitely use the 17 road. It would be lovely to see Orange groves and quieter areas off the beaten track. Would love to know of any nice places to stop on our way down.
HERE is our [undeviating] route
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

We went up to Orlando a few yrs ago from Cape Coral. We used the 17 and it was a lovely peaceful drive. You def see a different side to Florida! We call it cowboy country!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 03:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Another heads up, if you take the 17 route thro Haines City, after you turn right for 17 South and go under the bridge, you'll see a sign to turn left for the SR17, DO NOT TAKE THAT LEFT TURN, you are already on the 17 you need to head south. Briefly, for some reason known only to the road planners, there are two 17's. Basically with the exception of a left turn to remain on S17 as you leave Lake Alfred it's a straight run all the way.
Old 20 Apr 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

That’s a great route recommendation. We will be travelling down from Orlando to Cape Coral- I think the satnav route takes us down the I4. Do you end up hitting a lot of traffic lights on the 17? Hate all the stop & start of junctions
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Chris - we oft drive from/to MCO to Pine Island, just west of Cape Coral, been coming to SW Fl for 20+ years and have never yet used the I-4/I-75. We opt for the 'spine road', the 17, vs motorway craziness, it saves circa 40 miles and is a more relaxed drive, passing orange groves, farms and quieter areas. The only busy segment is Winter Haven but you're thro that quite quickly. I've knocked out a map from Orlando (27) to Matlacha purely as an example, HERE. If you opt for the 17 I'll gladly give 'pointers' for the drive down, there's only one left turn to be aware of (Lake Alfred) to remain on the 17S, then it's straight all the way, thro Arcadia, onto the I-75 (signed Naples) for one junction, onto Burnt Store Rd to CC. Plenty of places to stop and eat, depending on your Orlando location the drive down is circa 3.5 hours.