Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 19 Apr 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
The 3 Mouseketeers Non-Stop WDW Adventure (Aug 2018) Day 7 Part 1 - Amorette's/ Disney Springs

Day 6 can be found here.

We did a lot today - so I've split Day 7 into two parts.

It was an earlier start today as DD and I had booked onto a cake decorating class at Amorette’s in Disney Springs which started at 9am.
So we were all up bright and early, out of our room, and at the bus stop by 8.03am; ready to head into Disney Springs. Unfortunately the bus had gone at 8.02am! But there are far worse places in the world to hang around waiting for a bus. The next bus came at 8.22, and it’s not far from Riverside to Disney Springs, so we were still at Amorette’s on time. And we got to travel on a bus all by ourselves - DH and I in the middle, DD at the back!

We also noticed a poster with an offer for the VOID, which was very handy as we had booked to do the VR experience later that day.

DH came with us into Disney Springs as he planned to have a nice quiet coffee at Starbucks, and then head over to his appointment at the Art of Shaving for a luxury shave. Unfortunately, he didn’t have the best of times whilst we were at Amorette’s. He ordered a vanilla latte at Starbucks, and discovered that there was a large, loud, staff celebration event going on around him. Then he got to Art of Shaving, which was closed! He and another would-be customer found out from Disney Springs Guest Services that it had closed unexpectedly for an urgent refurbishment (perhaps due to a water leak).
Meanwhile, DD and I had arrived at Amorettes. We had a moment of confusion trying to get in through the front doors (which were locked, but we could see people inside), but then realised that we needed to go round to the side entrance. We weren't the only ones who tried this, though, there was a steady stream of would-be customers during our class at these doors!

On arrival, they checked our names against our booking and then asked whether we’d like fruit juice, tea, coffee or mimosa to drink. DD went for orange juice, and I chose a mimosa. We were then shown to our table, and they brought our drinks over to us.

It was a fantastic experience.
There were about 6 other pairs undertaking the class. There was another girl, perhaps slightly younger than DD, there with an adult. The other pairs were both adults.

Our table was set out ready for us, with the equipment we would need.

The decorating classes run several mornings during the week. Some days are ‘traditional’ Mickey cakes, and the others are ‘seasonal’ cakes. I was unsure what ‘seasonal’ cake we would have in August, and it turned out that we were going to make a Minnie Mouse Cake.
The cakes are the large, mousse-filled, dome cakes with red mirror glaze finish – that look amazing and cost about $55 to buy. That sentence probably captures the full extent of my cake knowledge. It was going to look like this - but shinier, as this was the display cake.

The class was run by two qualified patissiers, who work at Amorettes. They were keen to explain the techniques and technical issues in decorating the cakes, and actively encouraged questions. I am certain that if you are more knowledgeable than me about cake decorating that you would learn lots of useful hints and tips from them – however, a lot of it went over my head. But, if you are not an expert cake decorator and just considering this as a fun thing to do, don’t be put off - they were really friendly, and accommodating to all levels of expertise.

They explained that it takes several days to make the various layers of the cake, and gave us a small sample of the cake to try. Today we would be decorating a cake that had been made earlier.

The first task was to pour the first layer of mirror glaze onto the cake – there would be 3 layers in total. They demonstrated each stage, before we got to try.

Then it was taken away to go into the fridge.

Whilst it was chilling they explained about the ears, which are shaped from white chocolate, and then painted black. We then got a chance to paint our pre-shaped ears black – with some handy tips on how to get an even finish.

Then it was time for the second glazing of the cake. And afterwards, we got to see how they use a cutter and cling film to emboss the details of Minnie’s bow, and practice this ourselves.

Finally it was time for the third glazing.

I am note-free for the class, so relying on photos and memory – and now doubting myself as to whether it was two or three layers! Any technical inaccuracies in my report for this morning, is clearly a result of no notes, and nothing at all do to with their frequent replenishment of my mimosas! We were there from 9am to 10.30, and I had 3 mimosas (and an orange juice!)

We also had a chance to look around the shop, see the equipment and ingredients they used for the cakes,

and see the other staff hard at work making cakes to sell that day.

Then we got to assemble all the elements to create our final masterpiece! We were quite proud of it!

But the experience wasn’t over then. Our cakes were put into a glass display case so that we could admire them, as if they were an actual cake for sale in the shop (they took them out again before the shop opened though!).

We also had the opportunity to buy any of the usual cakes on display before the shop actually opened. I bought a small chocolate ganache for DD.

And they gave us a small gift bag to take away as part of the experience which apparently varied in content, but ours contained a bag of cookies, and a box of macarons. You could either take your cake away with you straight away or they would keep it for you until later if you were going to spend time in Disney Springs (which is what we did).

We headed out of Amorettes and were surprised to find DH waiting for us, as we thought he’d still be in the Art of Shaving – so he filled us in on how his morning had not gone to plan, and we (not very tactfully) raved about how brilliant our experience at Amorettes had been. DD let him share her ganache cake though!

We had a look in a few shops –and DD showed us some of the very lovely, and expensive, things she’d seen the day before. We also went into the World of Disney to collect our $200 gift card which we’d got through booking the free dining offer with WDTC.

There were big queues at all the tills, and we weren’t sure where to go, so we asked at customer services and got it sorted out really quickly there.

By this time, we were getting a little hungry, so we went to Blaze Pizza, as we’d read some good reviews on the Dibb.

It is like Subway for pizza, so you can choose exactly what toppings to have on your pizza. I was really happy with my choices, as was DH.

DD had decided to try something new, and had opted for Gorganzola cheese on her pizza.

Due to a lack of effective communication, when she told us it hadn’t been a good choice, we didn’t realise that she meant she really hated it - and she didn’t realise that we would have bought (QS credit) her a replacement pizza, if we’d known she really hated it. However, we’ve figured this out whilst writing this trippie – so next time she can be guaranteed to eat a pizza she enjoys!

Then it was time for our booking for the Virtual Reality Star Wars experience at The Void. DH is a big star wars fan so he was very, very excited about this. DD was a little nervous about such a new experience, but also loves Star Wars. I was just along for the ride really! We all enjoyed it a lot though. It felt very strange putting on the harness/jacket and helmet, but when it started we found it really immersive. I was a rubbish Stormtrooper though, as it took me quite some time to figure out the difference between shooting and reloading my gun!

We remembered to collect the cake from Amorettes on the way back to the boat stop, and went back to Riverside.

We had to take a shelf, and a few bottles of drink out of the fridge to fit in the cake, but we managed it! The cake box was rather impressive - like a hat box. No way was that fitting in the fridge too!

Then it was time for a quick change, before our ADR at Ohana’s - in Day 7, Part 2 (here)

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018

Edited at 01:54 PM.
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, a fab cake, you did brilliantly I hope it tasted as good as it looked. Shame about the pizza. Similar thing happened to our DS one holiday as he ordered a 4 cheese pizza which had blue cheese on it and he hated it too. I love blue cheese, but I have to say it did taste a bit yucky on the pizza.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's amazing all the different things you can do on a WDW holiday 😊 Your cake looks fab! We loved the void! We have our fingers crossed the SW option is still there next year! Blaze pizzas are great - that's a shame your DD didn't enjoy hers. Sounds like a lovely, relaxing morning 😊
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, a fab cake, you did brilliantly I hope it tasted as good as it looked. Shame about the pizza. Similar thing happened to our DS one holiday as he ordered a 4 cheese pizza which had blue cheese on it and he hated it too. I love blue cheese, but I have to say it did taste a bit yucky on the pizza.
The cake tasted just as good as it looked! Unlike DD's pizza

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
It's amazing all the different things you can do on a WDW holiday 😊 Your cake looks fab! We loved the void! We have our fingers crossed the SW option is still there next year! Blaze pizzas are great - that's a shame your DD didn't enjoy hers. Sounds like a lovely, relaxing morning 😊
We had so much fun that morning with our various activities. DH's favourite character (outside of Star Wars) is Wreck it Ralph, so you can imagine how excited he is that the Void is also doing a Wreck-it Ralph VR. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the Star Wars one continues too!

Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

that looks like such fun! I almost booked this for our next trip and now I'm tempted all over again!

very nice work indeed
lumosq102 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by lumosq102 View Post
that looks like such fun! I almost booked this for our next trip and now I'm tempted all over again!

very nice work indeed
DD was really wanting to do Amorettes, so I booked it mainly for her (as her birthday present). But we both really enjoyed it. It's not cheap, but with drinks provided, and taking "home" the cake and the goodie bag, I think it's pretty good value for Disney. (Not helping with that temptation )

Old 6 Jun 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

What a brilliant cake, I may have to look into this class a little further. I have more than one DD who would love it. A shame your poor DH didn't have quite such a good morning though.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List