Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PeachyLemons View Post
I had an email gift card (instead of housekeeping) when checking in. On the email was a ‘add to your Apple Wallet’ button, clicked it and it added to my Applepay.

Guess it might be worth asking at check in and perhaps they can advise how you add an actual gift card rather than a digital one.
That might be different to adding it to Apple Pay that it’s just adding it as a pass in your wallet in the same way you would have a boarding pass. Although if you did use it through contactless then it would have been Apple Pay
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Is there any advantage of using Apple pay over just using the card when you still take the card with you?
The advantages will depend on personal preference. I like the fact that in general it is used like contactless (no need for PIN/signature) but without a transaction value limit, and you don’t have to get your wallet out.

The transaction, and usually its value, appears on your phone screen, so you know what’s gone through (this varies a bit depending on card issuer).

You can of course not bother carrying the card at all, but in the US you do get the occasional issue and a physical card is needed. Some merchants have also asked for a signature as well, maybe that was to do with it being a foreign (ie UK card in US) card.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
The advantages will depend on personal preference. I like the fact that in general it is used like contactless (no need for PIN/signature) but without a transaction value limit, and you don’t have to get your wallet out.

The transaction, and usually its value, appears on your phone screen, so you know what’s gone through (this varies a bit depending on card issuer).

You can of course not bother carrying the card at all, but in the US you do get the occasional issue and a physical card is needed. Some merchants have also asked for a signature as well, maybe that was to do with it being a foreign (ie UK card in US) card.
If it asks for a signature it’s because their terminal hasn’t been configured to fully support Apple Pay.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Gaz Lear
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Mobile

I couldn’t get it to work in Disney. I’ve 3 cards linked to it and none of them worked, it worked in Walmart etc etc
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Gaz Lear View Post
I couldn’t get it to work in Disney. I’ve 3 cards linked to it and none of them worked, it worked in Walmart etc etc
That’s unusual considering that Walmart don’t accept Apple Pay.
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
naomi
slightly serious Dibber

i've just returned from a week in Vegas and used Apple pay with my clarity card, no issues atall, apart from some stores dont accept it (Like Bath and Body Works), but as Disney fully support apple pay i invisaged no issues.

is there still a daily limit to apple pay? I know this used to be £150 but not sure if this is still the case. I did have 1 day in vegas where I had purchased a lot on apple pay and it kept declining for the rest of the day but the physical card worked

naomi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by naomi View Post
i've just returned from a week in Vegas and used Apple pay with my clarity card, no issues atall, apart from some stores dont accept it (Like Bath and Body Works), but as Disney fully support apple pay i invisaged no issues.

is there still a daily limit to apple pay? I know this used to be £150 but not sure if this is still the case. I did have 1 day in vegas where I had purchased a lot on apple pay and it kept declining for the rest of the day but the physical card worked
I don’t believe there’s is any daily limit to Apple Pay especially if it’s £150 as I used it to pay for my service at the Audi garage for £200. I can see no reason why there would be a limit considering it’s more secure than chip and pin, although I think there is a transaction limit of something ridiculous like £10,000 in Waitrose which might be the most you can use it for.
Old 21 Apr 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
naomi
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
I don’t believe there’s is any daily limit to Apple Pay especially if it’s £150 as I used it to pay for my service at the Audi garage for £200. I can see no reason why there would be a limit considering it’s more secure than chip and pin, although I think there is a transaction limit of something ridiculous like £10,000 in Waitrose which might be the most you can use it for.

Excellent, I did think they had got rid of the limit, I know it was the case when first introduced years ago. I love apple pay, find it so easy and convient to use, especially on the watch or the newer iphones with face ID

naomi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I use Apple Pay and link my Monzo card to it which means no transaction fees. I'll link a credit card to the band just in case but it sounds like that is not working well after the new implementation at Disney. Retailers can place artificial limits on Apple Pay which is down to their policies but Apple Pay doesn't impose limits.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

I've used Apple Pay (AP) numerous times in the states, but there are some constraints to be aware of.

- Not all cards support AP as yet. This includes the Virgin Atlantic cards, which is a pain in the UK. Less so abroad as they charge foreign transaction fees so these cards are not recommended for use abroad anyway.
Halifax and MBNA Horizon work well with AP and have no foreign transaction fees. The Post Office Platinum card does not work with AP as far as I am aware, which is a shame.

- The UK contactless limit of £30 is applied by some vendors in the UK. It's hit and miss whether an amount of above £30 will be allowed using AP.

- In the US you may need to provide a signature for transactions above $50.

- If the card type (Visa/MC, Amex) are not accepted by the vendor then using AP will not work. This typically only applies if using Amex.

- You won't need an internet connection (cell/wifi) when using AP. The security certificate is stored on the device so will work on a watch in a water park, even without contact with a phone or cell/wifi connection.

- You may be asked to provide your Credit Card to support the AP transaction as part of a security check. This obviously makes AP pointless in that scenario. I've had this happen 3 times, all at McDonalds.

Sometimes it just doesn't work even though the vendor state they accept AP and the card type is also accepted. For example, i've found Subway hit and miss, and its frustrating when it fails for the 5th time!

Personally I would use the Magic Band linked CC as the primary and AP as backup, or vice-versa, but wouldn't rely 100% on AP alone.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List