Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Used Miami twice before. Saving for us this year for 3 of us is around £1100. Got a hotel booked 1 night either end of holiday. Both free this year with points but still a big saving if we’d paid. Don’t mind the drive either.
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
If you don’t want the faff, why not book a MIA-MCO flight? Plenty out there
We did this a few times. Simply booked London to MCO VIA Miami. The Miami flights being from Heathrow instead of Gatwick was much better for us as well. More recently we have simply gone via any number of intermediate airports.

If you want to get to Tampa simply look for any indirect flights. Changing planes is alot easier than a long boring drive from Miami.
Old 22 Apr 19, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

We flew in and out of Miami in 2017 and hated it. The plane was delayed by several hours. No big deal, these things happen. However considering the size of the place there was very little to do in terms of eating or shopping while we we were stuck there. The worst thing was the staff. They were utterly miserable, clearly did not want to be there and made no effort to hide it. When we eventually boarded they kept having to unseal and open the doors because the airport staff had forgetten to load some peoples’s duty free. I’ve never seen cabin crew so cross, it was awful.

That said, if the money was right, I’d do it again... would have to be talking a great deal though.
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

We’ve done it twice in 2017 and 2018 with BA. Flights were £300 each for August school hol dates, so a massive saving. Would do again for the right price.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
We did this a few times. Simply booked London to MCO VIA Miami. The Miami flights being from Heathrow instead of Gatwick was much better for us as well. More recently we have simply gone via any number of intermediate airports.

If you want to get to Tampa simply look for any indirect flights. Changing planes is alot easier than a long boring drive from Miami.
I'm happy to go indirect but would be wary in winter months. We have been twice in Feb and both times Boston/New York/DC, Chicago and probably more have been snowbound with many flights cancelled from there.

We flew to Miami this Feb and as you say it is a pretty boring drive, especially in the dark but I would do it again to save the £1,000 or so for our party of 3.
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
I'm happy to go indirect but would be wary in winter months. We have been twice in Feb and both times Boston/New York/DC, Chicago and probably more have been snowbound with many flights cancelled from there.

We flew to Miami this Feb and as you say it is a pretty boring drive, especially in the dark but I would do it again to save the £1,000 or so for our party of 3.
Agreed, we do avoid northern airports in the winter.
Old 22 Apr 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Donnalou36
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have just returned by doing this route. I’d say it’s worth the savings. The dive up was fine. We stayed overnight before hand and hit the road early and went to Hollywood studios by 1pm. The drive back was slightly more tedious but in hindsight was well worth the saving. The car selection was much better than at MCO also. HTH.
Donnalou36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

I've done it and would never do it again. The relatively small saving did not make up for the hideous drive up and the hell that is the roads surrounding Miami airport on the way back.

Having said that, if it was a choice between flying to Miami and not going at all then I'd grit my teeth and do it.
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Miami traffic worth thinking about. Both times we have flown home Sunday so drive back very quiet on turnpike and Miami not busy. First time we flew in on a Sunday I think and again very quiet. Last time we arrived Friday evening rush hour and it was awful leaving Miami. Dh has driven probably 30 plus holidays in USA so was ok but it wasn’t for inexperienced drivers.

Edited at 02:59 PM.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
lexie32
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Miami traffic worth thinking about. Both times we have flown home Sunday so drive back very quiet on turnpike and Miami not busy. First time we flew in on a Sunday I think and again very quiet. Last time we arrived Friday evening rush hour and it was awful leaving Miami. Do has driven probably 30 plus holidays in USA so was ok but it wasn’t for inexperienced drivers.
Thanks for this, we are flying in on a Friday and made the decision to stay overnight before the drive- so I wasn’t worried about the drive to Orlando as we will be doing it very early in the morning, but I was more concerned about the way back so I’m glad to hear it’s quoeter on a Sunday!
Jan 97 - May 03 - QIP, May 04 - Wyndham /HRH, Sept 05 - Windsor Palms, May 07 - Windsor Hills, May 08 - WiH/HRH, May09 - CP/ WL /Bradenton, May/June10 - CP/ YC/Bradenton May/June 11 P.E & Sunset Lakes, May/June 2012 YC/AKL, May/June 13 Sheraton ViV HRH &YC May 14 Sandpearl , Rennaisance SW & PBH, May 16 BC and Sandpearl, Oct 17 BC. Aug 19 Miami & Wilderness Lodge Aug 2020 Sandpearl Margaritaville & Hard Rock
lexie32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List