Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Apr 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jorm35
slightly serious Dibber

Grand Canyon trip reports?

Can anyone point me in the direction of any trip reports that include a few days at the Grand Canyon - ideally as part of a road trip from Vegas. Thanks
Old 20 Apr 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jorm35 View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of any trip reports that include a few days at the Grand Canyon - ideally as part of a road trip from Vegas. Thanks
We only did one night at the Grand Canyon, after Disneyland and before a stay in Vegas. My trip report is in my signature
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We did this route last November but Grand canyon to Vegas, I did'nt do a trip report but can send you some info by PM if you would like.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jorm35
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
We did this route last November but Grand canyon to Vegas, I did'nt do a trip report but can send you some info by PM if you would like.
Thank you, that would be great x
Old 20 Apr 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

I did this in March '15 but no trip report. I would definitely try and stay onsite watching sunrise and sunset was my favourite part, not just the beauty but the lack of people.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jorm35
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by kirstenjet View Post
I did this in March '15 but no trip report. I would definitely try and stay onsite watching sunrise and sunset was my favourite part, not just the beauty but the lack of people.
That’s what we’d like to do. Where would you recommend staying? Is 1 night enough or do we need 2? How was the drive there/back?
Old 20 Apr 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

We did two nights in Kachina Lodge in 2016. I got us a canyon view room by booking on the day the rooms were released - I think it was a year in advance? We arrived late afternoon and explored the village area before watching the sunset. We then got up next day to see the sunrise. It was freezing like 6 degrees or so, so make sure you have a hoodie! We used the free bus to travel along the rim - we also walked about 6 miles. It was in the mid 30s in the afternoon. We watched the sunset again and left before sunrise to make our flight from Flagstaff. It was absolutely the best experience we have ever shared. If you get the chance, definitely go for it. I think we’ll probably go back when we’ve both retired and are less time restricted.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

I have one link below 2013
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

I'm pretty sure we stayed in Maswick Lodge looking at the hotels. We didnt have a choice as I booked about 2 months before going so I was lucky to get anything there. If I had a choice I'd have wanted to stay at Bright Angel but nothing wrong with any of them I think.

The drive was fine, you get to see the Hoover Dam and theres a good pull over for a view of Lake Mead . I love driving in America and havent found many drives that didnt interest me so I may not be the person to ask to judge if others would like it. Very easy drive though, quite high elevation which gives some nice views.

We were only there one night and that was enough for me, but we didnt do any hiking just wandered around just looking and enjoying it. I'm scared of heights so doing anything more was not really possible but it was definitely worth visiting and without the stay over I cant say I'd have thought it was worth it.
We went on to California afterwards.

One silly tip, if you stay there dont spray deodorant near the smoke detectors as it sets the fire alarm off... great way of getting to hear the coyotes not far from the hotel when it sets them all off howling (and also wakes up everyone at the hotel!).
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
My 2012 Vegas one has a 1 night stop in the GC.

Edited at 11:33 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List