Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Apr 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Aug 18-No chaps in uniform Day 1 HS & EP

Aug 18 – No chaps in uniform this time – Day 1 Hollywood Studios and Epcot

Disney steps 30,298 11.77 miles

Tuesday awake and at Hollywood studios for 6.50am - you have to make the most of the reverse jet lag lol!
We were on toy story mania by 7.11 having got Millie‘s Das pass sorted, and it’s safe to say our accuracy is no better this year

Steve wasn’t able to get a Das so early for slinky Dog beforehand so we headed straight for it now.
Our original plan was to do Toy Story twice but our firing arms were sore, it was early and peoples pride at losing was already waning! So Steve and Millie headed off to get Das pass for Slinky Dog and
a Toy Story magic band Millie had seen on line at home. Morgan and I headed for Woody’s Lunch Box to grab breakfast snacks. We went for the smoked turkey breakfast sandwich, the Smores French toast, a pack of baby bells and the chocolate hazelnut lunch box tart with a couple of diet cokes to share.
We managed to find a space under an umbrella whilst we waited for Steve and Millie to arrive back. The shop wasn’t open yet so we would have to go back later for the magic band. The s’mores french toast was very sweet but ok, the lunch box tart was very much like a slab of shortbread which we didn’t expect.

Once we had eaten Morgan splashed some holiday cash on some slinky dog ears from the shop and we all paid a visit to the Toy Story toilets – very good, very clean and no gaps in the doors!

Steve and Millie headed back to the shop to get the magic band and then Slinky dog here we come. We played on the Play Disney App in the queue which lost a few minutes for us.
I really enjoyed Slinky Dog – it’s up and down enough for me and we knew we would want to ride it at night too to see all the lights. Also a good place to grab a view of Galaxies Edge on the top corner. The ride phtos were dreadful though – it’s good to see from people’s more recent visits they have now fixed them.

Millie bagged her first of many Mickey Pretzels – a firm favourite from last year

Next stop Rock n Rollercoaster and a family photo we can put on the Dibb
(last years I have been banned from adding – let’s just say it proves that one of my daughters has a mouth the size of the Mersey tunnel – it was a big scream! )

It was very warm already by this point so we headed to meet Chewie and have a look at some of the displays inside. I was very excited to meet Chewie – Steve and Morgan had met him last year on the Star Wars tour but Millie and I hadn’t – a family photo
and then one of just me and Chewie as well

We couldn’t convince Morgan to join us for Tower of Terror which was our first fast pass of the day so she took a seat in Sunshine Ranch Market snacks (or whichever of the run of eateries was open) whilst Millie, Steve and I bounced up and down in the lift for a little – I think she will do it next year perhaps – I know she’ll love it when she does.

Hot, hot , hot already so we used the shops on Hollywood Boulevard to keep cool as we headed to our fast pass for Star Tours done not my fave even as a Star Wars Fan

We’ve got a Das pass for the Frozen Singalong and we grabbed four diet cokes on the way in to help with the cooling down. It was a shame it was so hot to queue to get it. The show was great and well worth seeing, we hadn’t seen many shows last year so I was planning to do a couple today.

Next fastpass was Aline Swirling Saucers and this was much better than I had expected – we had a great giggle being twirled about – and thankfully just before lunch.

Next our lunch reservation at mama Melrose at 2pm so headed down – Sat by the window with Kermit and the Floridian blue sky smiling down at us. We had a work colleague come and say hello with his family – they were on their last day but we had been What’s Apping messages for the last week and I’d been giving them a few tips in each park so it was good to be able to say hello.

Mama Melrose was great food, we had a lovely bread basket with oil
then Steve had chicken parmesan,
Morgan and I had the New York Strip
and Millie had a Pepperoni pizza with no tomato sauce
– I really appreciate the fact that Disney can cater to different tastes etc.

For dessert we had a lemon sorbet, cheesecake and a sampler plate –
all amazing. Washed down with diet coke and we rounded the tip up to $28.00.

Two things left to do before we headed home ; first meet the dreaded Kylo Ren, he even scares Steve and I can see why.
Encounter over it was show 2 of the day – Beauty and the Beast – I love this one, you have to see a dancing candle at some point in life. Steve and Millie got another Rock n Rollercoaster in whilst I waited for the queue to open for Beauty and the Beast.

A good first park visit and reminder of how bloomin hot it was and now we had done park number one.

We headed back home to POFQ for a bit of a rest before Epcot tonight and no cheeseballs this year but we did take a liking to Flamin Hot Cheetos instead.

We headed out to Epcot and we were there for just after 6.30pm to a cooler and slightly cloudy sky – we had a good look around Mousegear whilst Steve ran over to get a Das pass for Frozen and then we all headed to Soarin, I looooove this ride and the smells. When we came out it was absolutely torrential rain so we ran (very wet feet!) to Frozen and were absolutely drenched by the time we got there even having worn the ponchos. Frozen was brilliant as always, and thankfully the rain had stopped once we came outside ( and the park had emptied a little ) so we headed to Test Track and took a quick ride ( 10 minutes queue)

Epcot was EMH 9-11pm so we were planning to stay later after Illuminations and now just needed to find a place to watch from – and it had started raining again! So we headed round to the UK and although we hadn’t booked a table we were able to get into Rose & Crown. We had planned a Quick Service tea but ended up with 1 TS (Fish and Chips for Morgan), 1 OOP child’s Sausage and chips for Millie and 2 x snack Potato and Leek soup for me and Steve.

The service was great – the food was OK, the soup wasn’t brilliant but the kids food was good. The saving grace for Steve was the sticky toffee pudding he and Morgan had. Illuminations was pushed back due to the rain but then we were allowed onto the viewing platform outside the Rose and Crown and watched from there – not as good as watching it with friends from a boat under the bridge to France like we did last year

Once Illuminations was over we headed to see if we could do Test Track but it was still closed post the rain so Millie and Steve did Mission Space green and then Spaceship Earth whilst me and a very tired Morgan headed slowly for the car enjoying the lit up pathways on the way out. A full on first day completed.

Night night folks. Tomorrow animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

Index is HERE
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )

Edited at 10:05 AM.
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

There will never be as good a viewing of Illuminations as on that boat trip!
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

What a great first day, you managed to pack lots in. Thanks for sharing.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Mobile

Great first day 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List