Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Don't underestimate how often you need to get the ladders out and climb up to clean the cameras. They get warm and spiders seem to like them!

Quite often I can see a web fluttering in the breeze that degrades the picture. So back up the ladders to wash them again. Probably 4 times a year.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

We have Hive indoor cameras and recently added two Hive outdoor cameras.
They are not inexpensive compared to others, but usually Hive has them on offer with 25% off, which makes them around £130. (Cameras are not in the current sale).
They are very easy to set up with Hive hub, and simple to install. Picture quality is excellent, audio has been updated to 2-way, so you can speak to your pets.
Recording to the cloud is free for 24 hrs but you can pay £10 monthly to record up to 5 cameras for 30 days.
We don't pay the £10 so they are useless as security cameras if away for a week-end.
The motion alerts are not reliable but other than that we are very pleased with them for our purpose.
If you don't already have Hive there are probably better options available.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Is the CCTV not just going to cover your own property ?

Have these attacks been on the owners property or when the cats are 'out & about'?

Not against CCTV, we have it, but if you're installing it for this sole purpose then you may be struggling for evidence etc. should the worst happen.
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by j9mcl View Post
Wasn't the "Croyden Cat Killer" proved to be foxes?
bbc/news/amp/uk-en...ondon-45588088
That’s the excuse the police gave for closing their investigation however the charity SNARL that travels around the country dealing with decapitated cats and other animals believe, and with many vets that have examined the bodies that it is a human killing them and not foxes. I have attached some photos of the Facebook posts the charity released.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gally1968 View Post
Is the CCTV not just going to cover your own property ?

Have these attacks been on the owners property or when the cats are 'out & about'?

Not against CCTV, we have it, but if you're installing it for this sole purpose then you may be struggling for evidence etc. should the worst happen.
The person responsible lays the dead pet out on the owners drive after a day. Sometimes it can be a neighbours drive, but obviously the cctv would cover my drive. And because it’s for the sole purpose it’s kinda why I didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money as at the end of the day the chances are my cats will be fine.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Don't underestimate how often you need to get the ladders out and climb up to clean the cameras. They get warm and spiders seem to like them!

Quite often I can see a web fluttering in the breeze that degrades the picture. So back up the ladders to wash them again. Probably 4 times a year.
Never thought of cleaning them. A consideration for sure.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
We have Hive indoor cameras and recently added two Hive outdoor cameras.
They are not inexpensive compared to others, but usually Hive has them on offer with 25% off, which makes them around £130. (Cameras are not in the current sale).
They are very easy to set up with Hive hub, and simple to install. Picture quality is excellent, audio has been updated to 2-way, so you can speak to your pets.
Recording to the cloud is free for 24 hrs but you can pay £10 monthly to record up to 5 cameras for 30 days.
We don't pay the £10 so they are useless as security cameras if away for a week-end.
The motion alerts are not reliable but other than that we are very pleased with them for our purpose.
If you don't already have Hive there are probably better options available.
Thanks for this. I will take a look into them.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Arlo Pro, upstairs attach them near your windows for easy access.

Edited at 01:07 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Arlo Pro, upstairs attach them near your windows for easy access.
Thanks will take a look at these too.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I don't know about CCTV brands but I can't see how any sort of camera is going to help protect your cats. Yes, you may see who it is but s/he will still have seriously injured your cat and then it's too late by the time you see the recording.
Plus, people who do this sort of thing are very, very rarely incarcerated so even if charged and convicted s/he will still be on the streets doing the same thing afterwards
I agree with above. And the culprit will just wear a hoody to stop identification.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List