Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Mobile

I was 4 months before I was sent for MRI. I did have bulging disc.
Pilates has helped me hugely, not sure how long before you travel. I wish I had done more before my (unsuccessful) surgery. Might be worth a try.
Oh alcohol definitely helps, this was confirmed but not recommended by consultant at chronic pain clinic.
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Try getting him to sit on the plane as prone as possible ... adjust driving position as much as possible too.

The other option is a tens machine?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t want to be overly pessimistic but has your DH’s doctor or physio said he’s ok to fly for 10 hours and to do the rides ? Also is there a risk that your travel insurance wouldn’t cover him for any related treatment he might need while away ?

Back pain can be hell.

I hope it works out well for you all and you go on to have a great time !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I don’t want to be overly pessimistic but has your DH’s doctor or physio said he’s ok to fly for 10 hours and to do the rides ? Also is there a risk that your travel insurance wouldn’t cover him for any related treatment he might need while away ?

Back pain can be hell.

I hope it works out well for you all and you go on to have a great time !
ah yes GP and Physio have said it's fine, also updated our insurers and the underwriters agreed to cover this holiday. Any tests on return and I need to ring back and update any changes or results. Mind it was almost 2 hours on the phone with insurance but they were trying to help. We wouldn't go if in any doubt at all, even at the last minute but thank you for mentioning as it is really important.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I was 4 months before I was sent for MRI. I did have bulging disc.
Pilates has helped me hugely, not sure how long before you travel. I wish I had done more before my (unsuccessful) surgery. Might be worth a try.
Oh alcohol definitely helps, this was confirmed but not recommended by consultant at chronic pain clinic.
It certainly is an excellent muscle relaxer - not sure the GP would agree with me mind. I think that might be a better option for me instead.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I flew to Australia last year with sciatica! I was dreading the flight as I was in so much pain sitting for just a short time but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Firstly I think the style of plane seats forces you to sit in a more upright position which helps. As others have said I booked an aisle sea so I could stretch my leg out and stand up easily. I took a sciatica cushion with me (loads of them available on Amazon), I used heat patches applied to my lower back which I bought in Boots and the pain meds prescribed by my GP. I stood up and walked around lots and was the weird woman doing stretches at the back of the plane!

Sciatica is horrible so I sympathise a lot.
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Originally Posted by RockTheDots View Post
I flew to Australia last year with sciatica! I was dreading the flight as I was in so much pain sitting for just a short time but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Firstly I think the style of plane seats forces you to sit in a more upright position which helps. As others have said I booked an aisle sea so I could stretch my leg out and stand up easily. I took a sciatica cushion with me (loads of them available on Amazon), I used heat patches applied to my lower back which I bought in Boots and the pain meds prescribed by my GP. I stood up and walked around lots and was the weird woman doing stretches at the back of the plane!

Sciatica is horrible so I sympathise a lot.
oh no Australia is an awful long flight to endure pain and discomfort. So pleased it ended up manageable for you too. I'll check out amazon didn't know there was such a thing as a sciatica cushion. I have upgraded to premium for the extra space and can certainly see him being the weird bloke doing stretches as well. Certainly some really great and helpful tips today from everyone , it's been amazing how everyone on the DIBB is always so helpful. Thank you so much I really do appreciate it all.
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

I have chronic lower back pain which started 10 years ago. I am unable to sit upright for any length of time and now always sit at the back where I can. This way I can recline my seat so my lower spine and hips are at a comfortable angle. However this is a pain in itself as it means I always have to pre-book seats at an additional cost to ensure I can sit somewhere I don't have someone behind me.
I have had people sat behind me before who have been understanding about my need to recline and I do try to do it as little as possible but I have also had the rudest of people behind me who have kicked and loudly moaned about me putting my seat back regardless of the fact that I need to. Hence my choice to sit at the back. (I'm certainly one of the group who feels that I should be able to recline my seat anyway but that's a whole other thread )
Other than this getting up and walking around helps and painkillers although they don't work on my pain. Heat to the area can help too but I find planes are already too hot and stuffy without adding to it.

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Simba1980 View Post
I have chronic lower back pain which started 10 years ago. I am unable to sit upright for any length of time and now always sit at the back where I can. This way I can recline my seat so my lower spine and hips are at a comfortable angle. However this is a pain in itself as it means I always have to pre-book seats at an additional cost to ensure I can sit somewhere I don't have someone behind me.
I have had people sat behind me before who have been understanding about my need to recline and I do try to do it as little as possible but I have also had the rudest of people behind me who have kicked and loudly moaned about me putting my seat back regardless of the fact that I need to. Hence my choice to sit at the back. (I'm certainly one of the group who feels that I should be able to recline my seat anyway but that's a whole other thread )
Other than this getting up and walking around helps and painkillers although they don't work on my pain. Heat to the area can help too but I find planes are already too hot and stuffy without adding to it.
I had thought about moving our seats to the back, as they were still empty. Personally I think anyone suffering from health issues and real discomfort they should be able to put their seats back without worrying about the person behind.We are lucky as one of our daughters and her husband are right behind us with an empty seat next to them. Hoping that seat remains empty too. I'd imagine those who complain have never experienced back pain, if they had I'm certain they would have more empathy.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by macy View Post
Something I didn't realise that Volterol is sold in two different strengths. I did buy some but from the supermarket shelf. Visit to the chemist for me this week - think it might be quite a shipping order. Thank you another good suggestion.
Macy

I just now checked my “ high strength” tube and it is in fact a type that lasts all day, as opposed to just a few hours, so perhaps my initial description is misleading. Still it works well for me.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List