Notices

Old 22 Apr 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec City: Spring 2019 - Day 3 Montmorency Falls and Plaines d’Abraham

I again fell sleep last night quite early so it was no surprise that I was awake at 3 o'clock though I did manage to get back to sleep.

I woke up to no rain which was a big positive for the day. I had my usual breakfast of cinnamon raisin bagels and a coffee. About 9 o'clock I headed up to catch the 800 bus Montmorency Falls. This was about a 15 minute walk to get to the bus stop. The bus soon arrived and I paid the $3.50 fare.

The bus was quite empty and it took about 40 minutes to get to the end of the line which was the stop for the falls.

I was pleasantly surprised to find at the bus stop was at the top of the falls and not at the bottom. This is the second time I have visited the falls. The last time was four years ago when I came with the family. That time we had a car and we parked at the bottom and this is what we walked up.:

I was so happy not to have to walk up those steps today!

The waterfalls are 83 m tall and 30 m higher than Niagara Falls. They aren't, of course, as spectacular as Niagara Falls. However they give a great view over the Saint Lawrence river towards Quebec and it's a really lovely place to visit.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours just wondering around. It was actually quite busy which I guess is indicative of the fact it was Easter Sunday. I was surprised though how many people seem to come totally ill-equipped. Some people just had fashion boots on which considering there was quite a lot of snow on the ground was quite interesting for them!

That was a suspension bridge which I went across. However, thankfully, it wasn't very swinging.

Though not in the same league as neither the Niagara Falls nor Iguazu Falls in a Argentina, I really enjoyed my visit here.

It was certainly a very different experience from last time I came. It was probably busier but the weather was much better even though last time we came it was in August. Then, I remember it was raining.

I also spent 15 minutes just sitting in the pavilion. It was nice to give my feet a rest.

As it was getting near lunchtime, I decided to walk from the top of the falls to the local town of Boischatel. There I found a typical Canadian Casse-Croute which is effectively a diner. Even though it was past the breakfast serving time, they were happy to allow me to order from that menu. I had fried egg and chips. It was really delicious and a bargain at C$6 which also included a cup of coffee.

I caught the bus back to Quebec City which took again about 40 minutes. It was about a 10 minute walk from the bus stop back to my apartment where I had an a rest for about an hour.

I then decided I would walk up to the Plains of Abraham via the ice cream shop. It was a lovely afternoon, the sun was shining and it seemed like a good idea. But one thing I had forgotten about Quebec City is that it's quite hilly. From the apartment to the ice cream shop was up a very long and very steep hill. My calf muscles were very very tired.

That was a bit of a queue at the ice cream shop but it moved quickly enough and the time allowed me to choose which ice cream I would have. I knew from previous experience to not have a big one as they are quite rich.

I chose maple ice cream with a milk chocolate dip.

I sent this photo O who was quite jealous. I think this is one of his favorite ice creams in the world.

On the way from the ice cream Shoppe to the Plains of Abraham, I saw these very groovy streetlights.

The Plains of Abraham cover the sites of major battles between the French and the British and the Americans. Nowadays, as well as many walkways, there is the Fine Arts Museum together with gardens and towers.

There was still quite a lot of snow on the ground. The with the sunshine, it was melting fairly quickly.

This tower, one of four, was built by the British to protect Quebec from an American even invasion. In fact, they were never needed.

After visiting the park, I walked a short distance to a salad bar I had seen on trip advisor. I bought a Mexican bowl to take away from my dinner.

At least the walk back to the apartment was downhill.

The salad bowl had plenty of vegetables, avocado, black beans, a spicy yogurt dressing together with fried wontons. It was delicious and I felt better for having eaten some fresh vegetables.

I was very tired again. It's a bit of a vicious circle because I end up falling to sleep early, I then wake up early, and the whole process starts again. This evening, I fell asleep last watching a YouTube at about 8:30 PM.

Edited at 10:32 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 22 Apr 19 10:31 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

You really have had some great travel adventures just to hear you comparing iguazu falls niagra etc! Lucky lady. This looks spectacular too, but the most spectacular thing is definitely that ice cream!
Wow. Im not even an ice cream fan but that looks amazing! 8:30pm bedtime sounds good to me Mel just go with it!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
You really have had some great travel adventures just to hear you comparing iguazu falls niagra etc! Lucky lady. This looks spectacular too, but the most spectacular thing is definitely that ice cream!
Wow. Im not even an ice cream fan but that looks amazing! 8:30pm bedtime sounds good to me Mel just go with it!
I know I am lucky! These falls don’t really compare to the other two but were a good experience anyway!

I sent a photo of the ice cream to O who was very jealous!

I am just hoping that the jetlag going back won’t be so bad

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Loving seeing all the places we know so well from a different time of year. DH enjoyed seeing the steps that you didnt want to climb as he stood on those steps & in the depth of winter when the falls are frozen you can watch the Ice Climbers come up the falls! They also do a very dangerous canoe race across the from one side of the river to the other where they get out if the canoe to walk on the ice flows coming down stream carrying the canoes - mad Quebecoise!
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Loving seeing all the places we know so well from a different time of year. DH enjoyed seeing the steps that you didnt want to climb as he stood on those steps & in the depth of winter when the falls are frozen you can watch the Ice Climbers come up the falls! They also do a very dangerous canoe race across the from one side of the river to the other where they get out if the canoe to walk on the ice flows coming down stream carrying the canoes - mad Quebecoise!
Mad indeed The stairs were actually not accessible from the top! I was so happy to have avoided them

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A really good day Mel. The waterfalls look really amazing.
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A really good day Mel. The waterfalls look really amazing.
Thank you! The falls were lovely!

Index of my trip reports
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Fabulous! Love the views of the falls and yum egg and chips, cant go wrong.
Your poor legs with the uphill walking but totally worth it for the sights and the ice cream. Glad you picked up a nice dinner too. It’s so hard to break the jet lag/ body clock isn’t it. You just get adjusted and it’s time to leave. With all the fresh air and walking though no wonder it’s early nights .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Fabulous! Love the views of the falls and yum egg and chips, cant go wrong.
Your poor legs with the uphill walking but totally worth it for the sights and the ice cream. Glad you picked up a nice dinner too. It’s so hard to break the jet lag/ body clock isn’t it. You just get adjusted and it’s time to leave. With all the fresh air and walking though no wonder it’s early nights .
I am still not managing to get past 9pm! Though this morning I slept through to 5.15am. Lots of fresh air must be good for me

Index of my trip reports