Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 15, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Crazydragon View Post
As above Disney have banned them - best news ever. I went to sea world and got fed up with loads of people with the sticks out taking selfies in front of tanks and blocking others views and also hitting my son on the head without any apology.
I think I would have grabbed the stick and bent it at 90 degrees if anyone did that to my DD
Old 14 Aug 15, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Crazydragon
VIP Dibber

Nearly did that but DW told me to drop it after I had a word with them.

Holiday Inn, International Drive - 2001 (Honeymoon)
Rosen Inn International, International Drive - 2015
Dibb florida villa - 2018
Dibb Florida villa (the same one) - 2021 - Cancelled
Dibb Florida Villa (different one) - 2022
Crazydragon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 15, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

I agree. We had so many occasions where someone would block our view of a parade, fireworks etc by holding up a tablet to film, without any consideration for those behind - even when it was blatantly obvious very small children were present. Someone even said "excuse me" to get past us during Wishes and then held up their camera completely blocking DDs view. Selfie sticks are the same... some are too concerned with capturing the moment (or moments for those who constantly film! ) they lose all consideration for other guests.
LawrenceFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
UPExodus
Helping Minnie

I got into a fracas at a park once, nearly twice because of these. First time an American girl turned around with it without looking and hit my girlfriend in the face with it, she proceeded to tell her to "Look where she was going" I snapped it.

Second was a Brazillian fella in the Harry Potter section of Islands, was walking around doing a kind of mine sweeper motion with it creating a six foot conical exclusion zone in front of him in one of the busiest parts of the park, various people having to shove into each other to avoid his swinging selfie stick. I just walked straight into it, he shouted something in Portuguese, I carried on.

They're one of the most obnoxious and self centred pieces of equipment I've ever seen and become even more of an issue with the large crowds in the parks. You have to be the centre of attention of every photo you take? Be my guest, but don't start swinging a stick around with no regard for anyone elses personal space.
UPExodus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
superchris84
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by UPExodus View Post
They're one of the most obnoxious and self centred pieces of equipment I've ever seen
Surely this is down to the people using them, not actual obnoxious sticks
Prior to the ban we would have taken one as we are a couple and like us both in as many photos as possible but we obviously aren't allowed to now. If we accidently knocked into someone or were inadvertently in somebodies way we would apologise on behalf of the obnoxious stick.
On the wider problem which led to the ban, we were last there in 2013 and you only saw one or two so I don't know exactly how bad the situation was, but in terms of visibility at fireworks etc. I don't see how it can be any different to being behind a 6'4'' person who wont keep their head still
Old 17 Aug 15, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
florida2000
Apprentice Imagineer

Just imagine it, a 100+ group of yellow t-shirted South American teenagers coming towards you all with Selfie Sticks!

Enough said.
1995 Port Orleans/Key West, 1996/1997 QII 2000/2001 Vistana Resort, 2003/2004 Disneyland Paris, 2005 Vistana Resort, 2006 Vistana Villages 2007/2008/2009/2010 Emerald Island 2011 California 2012/2013 twice/2014 Highgrove 2015 Nashville/Hawaii/New York 2016/2017/2018/2019 Various Villas 2020 Covid-19 CANCELLATION2022 Villa 2023 Villa
florida2000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Crazydragon
VIP Dibber

We had that at IoA except they were all wearing blue t-shirts and did not care who they walked into.

Holiday Inn, International Drive - 2001 (Honeymoon)
Rosen Inn International, International Drive - 2015
Dibb florida villa - 2018
Dibb Florida villa (the same one) - 2021 - Cancelled
Dibb Florida Villa (different one) - 2022
Crazydragon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
UPExodus
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by superchris84 View Post
but in terms of visibility at fireworks etc. I don't see how it can be any different to being behind a 6'4'' person who wont keep their head still
The back of someone's head doesn't light up and their eyes don't flash.

They were EVERYWHERE, every field trip, with 100's of kids all brandishing selfie sticks, this was May of this year. As we all know field trip kids aren't the most polite, so give them a stick to swing around exacerbates the issue. I have no issue with people using them to take a shot when it doesn't invade people's space, but that's not the case, everyone is walking round with them swinging them about having no regards for anyone else but their photographic experience. If I was to walk around swinging an umbrella around in front of me people would think I was a lunatic, but apparently it's okay aslong as there's a camera on the end of it, I just don't buy into that. Your memories shouldn't come at the detriment of somebody elses
UPExodus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Personally I am getting one and won't be using it every second of every day, walking around with this giant pole in front of me. But more so every once in awhile to capture a picture of me and my family without nagging some people who are on their holiday to take a picture of us. We did this last time and because there are 10 of us either one of us was blinking or cut out. With the selfie stick I will be in control of the picture, we can see what we all look like and take a couple to make sure we get at least one where one of us isn't blinking or talking. Not all people who have them are inconsiderate, I for one wouldn't extend it unless I had enough space between me and any people. I also wouldn't use them in the fireworks because for me there's no point. It's nice for us as a family to get a couple of pictures where there are all 10 of us as this is likely to be my last trip to florida with both sets of my grandparents as I doubt they'll want to come again. I just hope I'm not tarnished with the same brush as the inconsiderate people. You get them in every bunch like others said (e.g. the Ipads).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by florida2000 View Post
Just imagine it, a 100+ group of yellow t-shirted South American teenagers coming towards you all with Selfie Sticks!

Enough said.
Just like Rourke's Drift...

Man the barricades!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread