Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jan 16, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
It would be different if there was a price surcharge due to high fuel prices which they then didn't remove.
That's because they changed the name from fuel surcharge to carrier surcharge.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 16, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Had the same conversation myself the other day. I work for a Company that is in the oil industry and so has been heavily affected by recent oil prices. Shareholders dividends come before everything else unfortunately.
Old 27 Jan 16, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

It's called supply and demand. Where demand is high, prices will remain high. When people pay the prices, they have no reason to drop them.
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 16, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I do really love the economists that see one part of a subject and demand immediate price reductions based on that single item.

Most airlines have a costs programme based upon the amount of routes they fly, the frequency of those routes, the fixed costs in terms of staffing, buildings, computer systems, aircraft leasing (in the milliions) Charter airlines such as Thomas cook have a lower cost base than scheduled airlines, as they do not fly all year round, only take staff on contract for the periods they fly and have a lot less routés to service 365 days of the year compared to Scheduled airlines.
The actual profit based costs of an Economy ticket is not in the £400-£500 per person mark, but rather in the £1,000-£1500 mark. The profit area for scheduled airlines is based around a large volume of business class and first class seat uptake, not low fare economy tickets. If you had to pay the full; cost of an economy fate then there would be a lot less travelling to the USA.
For example, the average costs just for the aircraft, (Fuel and oil costs, i.e. just your variable costs) not including staff costs, cleaning costs, landing fees, extra maintenance costs, food and drink, refurbishment, licences, etc etc the actual costs of just flying a 747 (again, not including leasing fees either) is $38.92 per nautical mile
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 16, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by johnpowd View Post
Flight companies are in BUISNESS to make money and as long as there are people willing to pay the prices they advertise then that is it.
Flight companies all charging the same price from A to B is price fixing and is illegal in most countries

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
35%+ off the cost to fly a plane to Orlando is fuel related so there is no excuse for not dropping prices. I doubt cabin staff have received large salary increases!
This is what I thought but apparently our fellow dibber below thinks that the 75% drop in fuel price has been offset by fewer business travellers on the planes. (Perhaps he's right).

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
I do really love the economists that see one part of a subject and demand immediate price reductions based on that single item.
It was a simple question to the dibbers and I'm not an economist just a guy who wants to fly 30% cheaper like I did 2 years ago
jas72 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 16, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Wow. I'm guessing this thread is also full of people who think Google haven't paid enough tax... Take a very complex business, simplify it (wrongly), add in a load of assumptions (wrongly) and come up with the right answer?!?!

First, jet fuel is about the same price as 2008 - and roughly around 30% of cost of running a plane. When it was double 2 years ago (not cheaper - DOUBLE), then that would mean the cost of flying would be 15% more then, not 100% more. Take that 15% and take fuel hedging into account and you might halve it to 7.5% difference - if you were the best in the world at hedging.

So what you're really asking is: since the price of jet fuel has halved, where is my 7.5% discount? And the answer all airlines will give you is: when oil goes back up to $60-$80/barrel before you fly, will it be OK for me to charge you extra for the ticket you've already purchased at an agreed price?

Airlines are making around 6%-10% on tens/hundreds of billions of dollars on investment taken over a 20-30 year period. 15 years ago they were going out of business and needed "bailing out". Work it out!

As for "price fixing", I notice John Lewis have a TV for the same price as Tesco and Amazon. Are they price fixing? NO! They are minimising their profits to attract business without going broke in the process. Let's hope airlines do the same!

Edited at 12:34 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 16, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
florida2000
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by misterh View Post
Wow. I'm guessing this thread is also full of people who think Google haven't paid enough tax...
Good guess
1995 Port Orleans/Key West, 1996/1997 QII 2000/2001 Vistana Resort, 2003/2004 Disneyland Paris, 2005 Vistana Resort, 2006 Vistana Villages 2007/2008/2009/2010 Emerald Island 2011 California 2012/2013 twice/2014 Highgrove 2015 Nashville/Hawaii/New York 2016/2017/2018/2019 Various Villas 2020 Covid-19 CANCELLATION2022 Villa 2023 Villa
florida2000 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 16, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by misterh View Post
First, jet fuel is about the same price as 2008 - and roughly around 30% of cost of running a plane. When it was double 2 years ago (not cheaper - DOUBLE), then that would mean the cost of flying would be 15% more then, not 100% more. Take that 15% and take fuel hedging into account and you might halve it to 7.5% difference - if you were the best in the world at hedging.

So what you're really asking is: since the price of jet fuel has halved, where is my 7.5% discount? And the answer all airlines will give you is: when oil goes back up to $60-$80/barrel before you fly, will it be OK for me to charge you extra for the ticket you've already purchased at an agreed price?

Airlines are making around 6%-10% on tens/hundreds of billions of dollars on investment taken over a 20-30 year period. 15 years ago they were going out of business and needed "bailing out". Work it out!
Nice set of statistics. And of course the airlines are giving big discounts over last year, which you forgot to mention.

Last year Dublin to Mco business was coming out at 815-1000 UKP.
This year 650-800 UKP, a drop of around 20%, so yes the airlines are passing the savings on . But we have to be respectful of their cost models, so unfortunately the UK needs to have less discount otherwise the airlines will apparently go bust
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 16, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Flight companies all charging the same price from A to B is price fixing and is illegal in most countries
Price fixing is illegal. Price matching is not illegal.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 16, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Just because crude oil has dropped doesn't mean everything else will.. Other costs still rise year on year.
Look at this way, if fuel prices hadn't dropped the cost of your flight would most likely be more..

Also you cannot blame a business that exists to make money for its shareholders to keep doing that, it has a legal requirement to do so. Airlines, like any other business do not exist for the public but to make money for their owners. Cheaper prices for the consumers are a by-product.
Exactly, the only reason an airline will reduce prices is to sell more seats ... if sales are good, there's no need to change the price.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread