Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jan 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hmmm Martin Lewis

He seems to have gone on TV yesterday saying you need 6 months validity on your passport to visit 'most countries'. He has even cited an example of a distressed family having to return home as the child had only 2 months left.

I didn't think that was correct, but I have to say I generally renew mine while it still has a few months validity if it's a quiet time for renewing and I'm in between trips.

It's not fair if he is stirring this up. Did anyone actually see it? Did he really say that or is it just the way the newspaper has reported it?

dailyrecord/lifest...artin-11894040
Old 23 Jan 18, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
He seems to have gone on TV yesterday saying you need 6 months validity on your passport to visit 'most countries'. He has even cited an example of a distressed family having to return home as the child had only 2 months left.

I didn't think that was correct, but I have to say I generally renew mine while it still has a few months validity if it's a quiet time for renewing and I'm in between trips.

It's not fair if he is stirring this up. Did anyone actually see it? Did he really say that or is it just the way the newspaper has reported it?

dailyrecord/lifest...artin-11894040
I think he said that you should check passports and check the requirements for the country you are travelling to, well this is what I have seen from the clip on twitter
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Egypt you do, my friends had to come home and cancel the holiday last year. However I believe it is a common misconception that this also applies to USA.
Old 23 Jan 18, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A little sensationalism in the article I think. :angry:

Early on it says "most countries" and later "some countries" demand that you have 6 months left.

The fact is that travellers to the USA from the UK and RoI (and a few dozen other countries) do not need 6 month's grace.

There are other countries that do demand 6 months grace on a UK passport. There are also countries who are not members of the "6 month club" who do require grace on a passport travelling to the USA.

Mick
Old 23 Jan 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

I saw the show and yes he did say that... but said you should check regulations for country being visited
Old 23 Jan 18, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
You may not need 6 months for USA but you certainly do for other countries as I found out to my detriment in Singapore and Bali last summer. Fortunately I was able to sort it but it wasn't without a load of hassle and worry. Think the message is you should check the requirements of the country you are visiting
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Think the article is over egging what he said, I saw the interview on this morning yesterday and whilst he did tell the story about the family with the child he also said some countries require 6 months validity on a passport and urged people to check the country they are visiting rules.
This is more a daily fail kind of story.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My husbands runs out in August and we are going away in July to Florida, should I renew or not. What would dibbers do?
Old 23 Jan 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My husbands runs out in August and we are going away in July to Florida, should I renew or not. What would dibbers do?
Your husband's passport is perfectly legal but don't forget if you choose to renew it now he'll need a new ESTA before you go. If you renew now you can add 9 months to the expiry so that the renewal can expire in August 2028.

Mick
Old 23 Jan 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We all need new Esta anyway as they run out in May, I was going to renew mine and his, might just do mine then thanks x