Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Sep 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Canadian Rockies Road Trip July 2018 - Day 21 - Travelling home and final thoughts on our trip

So it had to unfortunately happen, the day which seemed so far away three weeks ago but it was now time for us to travel home. As we where not getting picked up until nearer lunchtime today we where in no rush to be up and about and finished off the last of the breakfast foods before final checks of the room and last bits of packing where completed. We loaded the dishwasher, stripped the beds (although I am sure we didn't need too) and had a general tidy up before we went down to reception to check out and leave our luggage. We headed back up to the waterfront and had a walk alongside the harbour before stopping for a coffee. We found a small local place called ' Breaking Bean ' which I thought was a great play on words and got some drinks spending some time in the early morning sun. Finally we had to reluctantly walk back to the hotel where we didn't have to wait too long before our taxi turned up to take us to the airport.

The drive was less stressful than the one in and although the roads where closing for the final night of the fireworks competition soon enough we were dropped off and heading for the check in desks. Despite the fact we where under when we came over by a few kilos per case we found that every bag was over and we where advised we could be facing a fee for every single bag. The lady on check-in asked if we could remove some items and Kirsty and her had a good natter whilst Sam and me opened the first case and removed our jackets. Next thing we know she tells us to seal them back up once the jackets are out and she checked them all in with no excess fees. She was lovely and another example of how great Air Transat where.

We are through security with no issue and pick up some A&W and fried chicken for a late lunch before our gate is called and its time to board. We are away on time and after the evening meal I settle down to get some shut eye as I will be driving once we land at Gatwick. The flight passes by fine and we land back to the UK on time and are soon through passports and waiting on our bags. Once these arrive we head back to meet and greet where our car is waiting and are soon back on the road to Hull. The drive home took a while as even though it was a Sunday we hit some traffic on the M25 so we pretty much crawled all the way to the M1. A few stops and coffee helped and as I managed some sleep on the flight drove until we where about 90 minutes from home when Kirsty took over. Her mum had arranged dinner for us all and we met up there where my mum and dad where waiting too and had a great catch up on what they and we had been up too.

And so it had finally ended. Our road trip from Calgary to Vancouver via the Rockies. It really was one amazing trip and we came home with some fantastic memories which we will always remember.

Final Thoughts

It has now been a number of weeks since we have been home. I am glad I have finished my trip report so I can look back on this in time to come to remember what a great time we had. Sorry that it has taken me a while to complete it as other things did unfortunately mean it took longer than expected. I can honestly say I don't think we had any lows at all. All the travel plans went well and the places we stayed at where fantastic. Our pre-booked trips went according to plan and really added to the whole experience. Air-transat where brilliant and we loved flying with them. I have paid so much more and received a lot less in service with other airlines and would recommend and fly with them again. From things I had read I did expect it to be manically busy. It was busy at times but nowhere near the traffic jams and crowds I was expected. You could still find places away from the crowds and I would visit at this time of year again no problem. The weather was very good and we where also fortunate to avoid some of the fires which could hamper the views. People have asked me what our favourite things where. I honestly cannot say as they where all great in their own way. Each different but places and things we enjoyed so much

Things we loved where.

Calgary -

The stampede was brilliant and it was a shame we could only do this on our arrival night. I would head back to see this again in a shot but try to arrange this mid or end trip to see more of this fantastic event. The Olympic park here and the things we did (zipline and luge) fantastic, they did certainly test my nerves a bit.

Banff -

Our first part of the Rockies. We loved horse riding in the park and the views from up Sulphur Mountain. The lakes here where breathtaking and I will never forget seeing Moraine Lake and its stunning colours. Our first night relaxing and paddling in Two Jack Lake with Sam a great memory

Jasper -

A more laid back experience and more rugged the Banff. Spirit Island and Maligne Lake we loved and the wildlife here was amazing. Hiring canoes and getting out on the water. The peace and tranquility of Horseshoe lake and the images of Medicine Lake, just stunning.

Whistler -

A real surprise and I didn't know how it would be experiencing summer in a ski-resort. I loved it here, there was so much to see and do and the views up the peaks truly breathtaking. I may pass on the Peak to Peak next time though. The suspension bridge and white water rafting where brilliant.

Squamish -

The waterfalls on the Sea to Sky highway. The gondola and views across Howe Sound. Out brewery hotel here and their home brews, so good.

Victoria -

Kirsty loved it here, it was a real favourite for her. I just wish we had more time to explore Vancouver Island as we really only scratched the surface. The whale watching is something I will always remember, it was a gift to be able to see Orcas in the wild and I will never forget the experience.

Vancouver -

A great place to end the trip. One amazing city with so much to see and do but the ability to relax and chill too. I loved how close to nature this city was and I never felt like I was in a major world city as it seemed so open and linked to the outdoors.

My only regret is not having enough time to spend longer in the places we visited. There was so much we planned in and saw but also so much more we could and would of loved to of seen. I look back at my photos and they will never truly capture the beauty of some of the things we saw and experienced, it is a trip I will never forget. This holiday suited us perfectly as we love being outdoors and the fresh air, I found it a struggle to come home.

We will return and next time may concentrate our travel to the Vancouver or Jasper/Banff side to give us more time to take it easier and see more of what each place has to offer. All the people we met where so helpful and kind, genuinely nice folks who we enjoyed meeting and talking too. We loved spending some time together as a family and it was the perfect post exam trip for Sam after all the stress of revision and GCSEs. He has done himself and us proud and achieved fantastic results so all his hard work paid off. We laughed, enjoyed each others company and came back with some unforgettable memories.

I wanted to say a huge thank you to all the dibbers who have answered my posts and questions. I have received brilliant advice from people on here. Some of who where there round the same time as us both before and during the trip, some who had been before. The advice received really added to how great our trip was. Those who have read the report and commented I hope you have enjoyed this and if you are travelling across there I hope, but know, you'll have a great time.

Whats next for us... Sam has decided that although he enjoys trips with his folks the lure of holidays with his mates seems more appealing so after a trip to Prague in October and France at Easter with family he has said he won't be coming on the other trips next year. Kirsty and me have a city-break in Pisa & Florence next year with Copenhagen to be booked shortly. We have another road trip booked in September for southern Spain where we will be taking in the sights of Seville, Cordoba and Granada and the surrounding area. It will be strange to travel without Sam and although Kirsty and me will still enjoy our trips in a different way we will miss him massively and sharing the experience. Our airmiles our burning a hole in our pocket and our next trip across the Atlantic at the moment looks be a USA road-trip and potentially this could be the National Parks around Vegas, Seattle and Oregon or Atlanta and the Deep South. Although this could change so watch this space.

And my report is now finished. Once again big thanks for all the help and advise and comments along the way. The whole trip was really special and something we will never forget.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I’ve really enjoyed reading your report and the pictures have been fantastic- it’s really inspired us to visit. Thanks for taking the time to share your holiday with us.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I've loved reading your reports. Definitely want to do this route now too one day. Thanks for taking the time to do it. If you're going to Seattle and Oregon I'd be happy to reciprocate some tips!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
I’ve really enjoyed reading your report and the pictures have been fantastic- it’s really inspired us to visit. Thanks for taking the time to share your holiday with us.
I’m glad you liked reading the report, it was a brilliant trip and one I can definitely recommend. Thanks for reading.

Neil

Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by anji View Post
I've loved reading your reports. Definitely want to do this route now too one day. Thanks for taking the time to do it. If you're going to Seattle and Oregon I'd be happy to reciprocate some tips!
Thanks for reading and I am glad you enjoyed reading the report, it was somewhere I would love to go back too.

I’ll definitely be in touch to get some tips for Seattle, it looks a great place to visit and I would love to go one day.

Neil

Old 18 Sep 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Thanks again for writing it all up, I'm going back to your Jasper days as we are hoping to go back in May next year, already booked The Crimson! As you said the people are so friendly and the scenery is awesome. Not been on as many hols as you but this one has topped my list too. It was great that you did lots of the things I'm not brave enough to do so did them vicariously through your report

We have done a bit around Vegas and also did Atlanta 20+ years ago if I can help with anything.

Will look forward to your next report and well done to Sam
Old 18 Sep 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks for such a fabulous report! Your photos were incredible!

We honeymooned in Banff (during the ski season!) and visited Vancouver, VI and Whistler 5 years ago and loved it all. Canada is my favourite place in the world (my heart belongs to Quebec!) - one day we will do the Rockies in summer but I think it will be once both the kids have left home!

We also have visited Seattle. Highlights included the Boeing factory and the Chihuly Museum! Shout if you have any questions!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Thanks again for writing it all up, I'm going back to your Jasper days as we are hoping to go back in May next year, already booked The Crimson! As you said the people are so friendly and the scenery is awesome. Not been on as many hols as you but this one has topped my list too. It was great that you did lots of the things I'm not brave enough to do so did them vicariously through your report

We have done a bit around Vegas and also did Atlanta 20+ years ago if I can help with anything.

Will look forward to your next report and well done to Sam
I loved reading your report too, brought back many great memories.

Jasper is lovely too, quieter than Banff and reminded me of Scotland in places, scenery just as amazing as Banff and round that area.

I’ll be sure to be posting lots of questions for my next trip and will do some more reports, I’ll look forward to reading about your future trips too.

Thanks again for reading.
Old 18 Sep 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks for such a fabulous report! Your photos were incredible!

We honeymooned in Banff (during the ski season!) and visited Vancouver, VI and Whistler 5 years ago and loved it all. Canada is my favourite place in the world (my heart belongs to Quebec!) - one day we will do the Rockies in summer but I think it will be once both the kids have left home!

We also have visited Seattle. Highlights included the Boeing factory and the Chihuly Museum! Shout if you have any questions!
I’m glad you liked it. We love Canada, it’s the one place I would happily up sticks and move too but for now just have to make do with holiday visits. I loved Quebec too, a while since we went but what a place.

I’m torn between Seattle area, Vegas and National Parks and the Deep South for the next trip but a friend is over in Seattle now so that may help me sway it. I’ll be asking lots of questions.

Thanks again for reading.
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A great trip report Neil. It’s been lovely reading along and sharing so much with you, before, during and after our trips.

Well done to Sam on his GCSE results. It’s always a bit sad when the lure of holidaying with friends calls, but what a fab trip to be one of the last with you for a while.

Look forward to reading about your future travels. I quite fancy Copenhagen myself, so will definitely be looking out for that report.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List