Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Nov 15, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Private schools?

Would you pay for an 11yr old girl to go to private school for a hope of a brighter future,even though it would be a struggle for 5yrs or would you stick to a state school even though the ones in your area were just average? Thanks in advance
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
lindylou46
slightly serious Dibber

If l could afford it, private gets my vote every time. In my opinion (and it is just my opinion) private schools seem to instil a sense of confidence in their pupils which translates to being more at ease with others.
lindylou46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishlass89
Very Serious Dibber

I think it depends on the school. I tutor students from a lot of different schools both private and state. Each school has to positives and negatives. Do they do open evenings you could attend to get a feel for the school and the staff?
scottishlass89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
simbamad
Imagineer

simbamad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Two of the children I nanny for go to private school, each of them has only about 7 children in each class and I do feel they benefit from this and they have a really good bond with their teachers as do the parents.
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishlass89 View Post
I think it depends on the school. I tutor students from a lot of different schools both private and state. Each school has to positives and negatives. Do they do open evenings you could attend to get a feel for the school and the staff?
Yes have been to the open evening ,it all seems great ,just unsure if paying out all this money and struggling is a stupid idea or worth it and desperately need advice?
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Well I personally wouldn't go private. In my opinion a child who has the right support at home and is academically able, will do well anywhere. I wouldn't send mine private under any circumstances. My husband was sent to boarding school along with his brothers and it was an awful experience for all of them.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
lexie32
Apprentice Imagineer

Personally I wouldn't, my parents sent me yo private school originally as they were overseas then when my dad got a different job they struggled financially to send me there, I very much felt different to my peers as they had large houses holidays abroad, new clothes, ponies ect and I didn't, I was a latch key kid and my parents were often not home till late and had no time or energy to oversee or help with homework and I struggled. I honestly feel I would have far benefitted from going to the local school and having my mum around more to support me.
Is there anyway you could work less hours to give you child more support at home to go alongside the local school ?

Edited at 12:38 PM.
lexie32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post

If I could afford it without too much hardship, yes I would. The schools in my area are dire.

I know of several children who go to a nearby private and a lot more down the years and they are different caliber of kids altogether.

Quick edit: I've just read your last post, if it's going to be a struggle now, it will get much worse down the line, it gets a lot more expensive each year. I wouldn't entertain it if it would put a financial strain on the family, the repercussions from that down the line won't be good ...

Many private schools offer bursaries etc., for bright children who don't have the opportunity to attend without, it may be worth your while inquiring about this ...

Edited at 12:45 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I probably would, although only to a 'nice' school - some schools, particularly girls, have a reputation for 'less nice' students. Why only the 5 years though instead of 7, would they not go on to A level/IB?

ETA, I'm not necessarily sure that a brighter future will happen, a different future definitely, and there's always the danger that if the child is pushed through school, university could be tricky.

Edited at 12:43 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

If my child wasn't academically able and I could afford it comfortably then I might consider it, but would not consider it if I was going to really struggle financially, nor if my child was able. The money would be better spent with a private tutor to supplement learning at a local school. I have a neighbour who worked at a private school and has said in the past its quite often less able kids of richer parents who are sent there. There are lots of other costs to pay out as well as term fees like expensive uniforms and sports kit and expensive trips. Your choice though of course. Also need to think about social aspect not having local school friends and things like that.
WendyBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread