Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Feb 16, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

Speed Cameras

Do they have speed cameras / Gatsos in Florida like we have in the UK? Ive seen they have cameras on lights for when you go through on red, but is that every set of lights?
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i dont remember seeing any fixed speed cameras (just red light ones) - however theres usually cop cars parked up at the side of the road (mostly on the i4 that i've seen) with handheld speed guns
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have never seen static cameras like we have. However there are ever more 'red light cameras' which I think are a great idea.
Be aware their fines are a lot heavier than ours in the U.K.

As the above poster says they use a lot of hand held and radar devices as well. Good to see.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

No fixed speed cameras but plenty of highway police patrolling the streets
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Or you could just stick to the rules/speed limit
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Any speeding fine is doubled in a construction zone or a school zone. Fines of $500 aren't unusual. You can be arrested and taken to jail if you're rediculously over the speed limit, which is easy to do if you're in a normal 45-50 mph zone and you miss the flashing light for a school zone where the limit is only 20.
Old 5 Feb 16, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I was unfortunate enough to pick up a speeding ticket last year. My own fault, I was doing 41 in a 30. In my defence It was out in the middle of nowhere with no houses or street lights, so in the UK it would have been a national speed limit. A cop jumped out from behind a tree and stopped me. He said he should be fining me $240 but seeing as I was a tourist he would downgrade the speed I was doing and fined me $138. I had to go to the Post office and buy a Postal order and send it off. My own fault but when you have got 2 screaming kids bouncing up and down with excitement I did not see the sign. Lesson learnt...28yrs driving in the UK no points...2 days driving in US..$138 fine.
Old 5 Feb 16, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Also be aware of stop signs. And right turn on red. You must come for a complete stop for three seconds.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Beware of distance marks on the roadway, if you do pass them, check above for the Cessna or similar plane
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 16, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
The speed Police are a little more cunning than they are in this country. They do simply appear from nowhere - even on the interstate. Better to do as the majority of locals do, just keep to the speed limit
It is difficult but does avoid the fines that they seem to churn out mor e than in this country!

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread