General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Feb 18, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States - Day 6 The White House and the Monuments by bike

24th October 2018

Big Day today we were off to perhaps the most famous address in the world - the White House

Negotiating the subway, our second of the holiday was easy and to be fair it was a lot less complicated system than New York. Again we had to pay for the boys no cheap/free fares sadly. Unlike NY we didn’t get passes as we only had 2 days here didn’t seem worth it. We opted for SmarTrip cards which we just loaded up as necessary, easy enough to use. We all love subways and this was a nice one, clean, airy and felt safe
Anyway back to Pennsylvania Avenue.
We had entry approval for 11.30am but turned up early in case we could get on an earlier tour. No such luck there was already a long queue ready for 11 with others like us tagging on the end.

We decided we would wait too and joined the end and waited.

Some of us with less enthusiasm than others
Someone came out just before 11.30 to check the tickets we’d been told we must bring a paper copy of the invite with us.

Anyway we went in and as you might expect had to progress through various security stages,

Secret Service agents everywhere much to the boys bemusement ‘aren’t they supposed to be secret?’
Sniffer dogs, everything x rayed etc. I did kind of expectbus to be thrown out for something at some point. I had to tell DH to be quiet and not try his rubbish jokes on the secret service guys didn’t look like they would have much sense of humour.
The tour is great if you know what to expect i.e. no West Wing, private quarters etc.

I loved seeing the gardens and the child’s football nets.

The rooms are beautiful and you can take as long as you want to walk round.

To see the East room where Abraham Lincoln and John F Kennedy had been brought after their assassinations was very moving.

You cover two floors and end up in a hall with the official seal. Last photo opp. Pictures were fine but no video and no large cameras.

We paused for a last few photos outside, waved to the crowds gathered at the gates and headed out.

We walked round passing various government buildings

And lots of protection

to get the classic views

We then went to the worst toilets ever! These were just by the Ellipse and were foul, dirty, no toilet paper, horrid.
We did grab an overpriced hot dog from a van there and munched it as we headed to the next part of our day.

We saw the Capitol buildings but they would have to wait we had to get on a bike!

When we decided to go to Washington it was obvious we wanted to see the monuments and then it was a question of how. A friend of mine had done the bike tour and recommended it so I booked us on the afternoon tour. It’s about 3 hours so a fair bit of cycling and I was still feeling a bit sore after the Central Park Ride but it looked like the best way to see them and would be fun for the boys.
And it was.
There’s a lot to see for sure and walking round would have taken forever!
This way you get to see the big ones
Jefferson

MLK which was fantastic!

Lincoln obviously!

Korean

Vietnam

World War

They were all impressive and we all especially admired the Korean one, very moving.
There were lots of veterans at the Vietnam memorial. A lot of the older men had a younger companion with them, to help them get around and I suppose maybe to understand more about that war from someone who’d been there.
I did smile though when I walked past one pair, the young guy in his early 20s was assisting an elderly man said shall we have a sit down and rest and his companion looked at him and said “well sure if you’re tired”
It was a great afternoon we all really enjoyed it and the weather was lovely again. It was really helpful to get the background from out guide who was very knowledgeable and friendly. He told us that planes are not allowed to fly over Washington and although they come close they veer at the last minute. Also if we see 3 helicopters over Washington it probably means the President is aboard one with 2 decoys. Never saw 3 though

Bikes dropped off with City Sights (cost $102 if you’re interested) we headed off for dinner at Bar Code restaurant and lounge near DuPont Circle. I had a Groupon deal for here $120 of food for $44. Wasn’t supposed to cover drinks but our lovely waiter let us put them on and only charged us $8. The food was gorgeous and more than worth what we’d paid

Tummies full we headed back to the hotel - fantastic day in Washington.

Steps today 17,655

States so far
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia

Index

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 12:45 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 05:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a great day - how special to get inside the White House.

The bike tour seemed a fab way to see lots n a short period of time. Dinner looks delicious!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
This sounded like another fab day. The tour looked interesting and I imagine everyone enjoyed the bikes afterwards to let off a bit of steam. I would have been aching all over from that for quite a while.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

This brought back memories of our trip to Washington. It’s a beautiful city isn’t it?
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Yes it is. DH wasn’t keen on going?! Not sure why he thought it was going to be a bit grotty but he was pleasantly surprised. We didn’t have enough time and only doing an overnighted here this year which I’m frustrated about. Oh well another time hopefully!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a great day - how special to get inside the White House.

The bike tour seemed a fab way to see lots n a short period of time. Dinner looks delicious!
Definitely the way to go especially with a 9 and 8 year old! Although they did enjoy the White House and all the palaver of getting in made them feel quite special the cycling was a big hit.

Dinner was delish I’m hoping I can get another deal for when we go this year

Old 17 Feb 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
This sounded like another fab day. The tour looked interesting and I imagine everyone enjoyed the bikes afterwards to let off a bit of steam. I would have been aching all over from that for quite a while.
Have to admit I was walking a bit ‘JOHN Wayne’ after a couple of days cycling iykwim but seriously was great and I would do it again. Despite all the burgers, cocktails and fries I came back fitter than when I went

Old 21 Feb 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
What an amazing day! Would be fab to look around inside the white house

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
minimacka
Gone all Goofy

I have loved reading your trip report, even though we have been to New York, Philadelphia and Washington before its nice to see what other people do. We love the east coast of America.

Can I ask how you arranged to look round the White House, we are going in October and I would love to look round it.

Many thanks
minimacka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by minimacka View Post
I have loved reading your trip report, even though we have been to New York, Philadelphia and Washington before its nice to see what other people do. We love the east coast of America.

Can I ask how you arranged to look round the White House, we are going in October and I would love to look round it.

Many thanks
Thank you for reading and glad you’ve enjoyed it!

I read up on the Dibb about how to do it and this is the link I used successfully to get a tour. I used my hotel address in Washington which worked fine and got the confirmation through about 2 - 3 weeks before we were due to go. Good luck! Any queries just let me know

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/external/l...FuZC10aWNrZXRz