Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 20 Aug 20, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Crete - the raki diaries. Day 6

Set the alarm early this morning. Had a few bits of ironing and packing to do before breakfast. That done, we were sitting down to egg and mushroom on toast, hot coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice about 8.45.
We went to the pool about tenish for our last couple of hours.
We had used the hotel WhatsApp to extend check out from 11 am to 1pm so would either be leaving the pool area to load the cases into the car around 12, or when the pool aerobics lady arrived. Whichever came sooner.
I know it’s boring of me, but my days of pools games and children’s evening discos are gone. Until, that is, one of my children decides to bring grandchildren into my life.
As said before, I love children, but it’s nice to have a total break.
My DSis, DBIL and DN x2 are in Crete and we would be driving to Elounda to be with them for the next 8 days. They are staying at the lovely Manos Apartments, while we will be at the Royal Marmin Bay. It works well, we’ve done it this way before. If we want to spend pool time together, we can go to their pool. I must add here that my sister is a fair few years younger than me which is why she has young ones and mine are grown up.
We are all very close and both DNs are the apple of my eye.
It’s great. As auntie I can teach them how thwack a noodle on the water so it sounds like a balloon bursting, how to sneak up behind a family member in the pool and spray water at them by blowing out of the end of the noodle, grade them in the Cretan pool diving championships and throw coins into the water to be endlessly retrieved.
So we checked out and made our way along the main island road ‘ voak’ to Agios Nickolaos where we stopped at Lidl to stock up on beer, crisps, chocolate etc. All the essentials.
We then took the Elounda road which makes it way up through the hills and then drops down to the Bay of Mirabello to some stunning views.

This is the posh side of the island where Roman Abramovich moors his yacht and JLo is a visitor. The hotels are 5 star and prices are a tad higher. I think I left my heart in Spilia though.

My sister texted to say that they going to Plaka, a very picturesque village right opposite the island of Spinalonga, where Victoria Hislop set her novel The Island’, for lunch and should she book a table for Friday nights dinner. Well, yes obs.
We twisted through Elounda village and out the other side towards Plaka and our final hotel, The Royal Marmin Boutique and Art hotel.
We have stayed here before and love it. Built of local stone, all the rooms are individual and set up the steep hillside into the cliffs.
The gateman welcomed us and waved us on to reception.
Did I mention the hillside? It is so steep that last visit, our luggage laden Fiat Panda couldn’t make it up the hill and I suffered the indignity of being turfed out of the car, whilst engine screaming, DH just made it up. A lovely driver in a golf cart rescued me.
This time we had a slightly more powerful engine. We backed down, the gateman stopped the traffic and foot to the floor, DH guided us up to reception. The views from the hotel are beautiful. Straight in front The Gulf of Mirabello, to the right the whitewashed village of Elounda and to the left the island of Spinalonga.

We were greeted with lemon and mint juice and taken to our room. It’s just lovely. Beautiful views.
We quickly unpacked and decided to visit the pool for a very late lunch.
The walk up to the pool is almost vertical, so guests just phone from their room and a buggy is there instantly to take you.
The infinity pool is set on a terrace. It’s always calm and quiet. We were however treated like long lost family. “Welcome back, so nice to see you again. I never forget your face...”
Sun beds were set up with fluffy towels In which ever position you wanted.
We ordered a burger and fries to share and a large bottle of water. All delicious.
The pool closed around 630 so we moved to the bar and ordered a local wine and a mythos.
FaceTimed my children, chatted to the barman and then called the buggy to go back to the room.
A cup of tea on the balcony and time for a shower.
We had prebooked a table for dinner at The Hope restaurant.
It is up in the hills with fabulous views down to Elounda and sells local traditional food.
Today was the hottest yet. The wind had died and the sun was scorching.
We could either walk the mile up the steep, sweaty hill, or get a taxi. The taxi won!
Whilst waiting for it to arrive, we were entertained by a driver trying to drive his car up the hill to much wheel spinning and tyre burning. He drove off and never made it. I wonder what happened to him!
The taxi arrived, we masked up and got into the air conditioned bliss.
A short drive vertically up the hill to The Hope car park.
It was still a short steep walk to the restaurant itself.
We first visited Beeraki, the Cretan Pub, which is owned by the same family as the restaurant.
A small refreshing beer for me and a large one for DH.
DSis (F) and family were waiting for us playing Boggle. It was lovely to see them and hear their tales of crabbing, riding the inflatable sofa etc.
We decamped to The Hope to our lovely table with a view down the hillside to the twinkling lights of Elounda. It was so hot, even with two fans trained on us!

Cretan bread and Dakos were brought out with fava bean dip, a spicy cheese dip and something that was made with sour cream. We ordered wine, beer and water and I had local lamb chops on recommendation. DH had belly pork and F and family shared two large mixed grills between the four of them.
The bill was brought out with raki and a traditional custard pudding.
The bill for all 6 of us was 80€.
We asked the restaurant to call us a taxi back to the hotel while F braved the wall the other way back down to Elounda.
Whilst waiting for the taxi to arrive, we were dive bombed by bats, there seemed to be rustling in the olive grove too. I’m sure it was the non existent breeze and not something out to get us!
Back to the hotel and straight to bed. I think the heat had taken its toll
Old 20 Aug 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Fab views 💕 we’re holding out hope to visit Elounda in September so loving your reports x

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I recognise that view, we went to spinalonga yesterday and then swimming in the sea , we went on rofos boat , and it was lovely, 4 hours in total , we had an hour on the island then stopped in 2 secluded coves for a swim , €30 including lunch and drinks and €8 entry to spinalonga.
Going to do the noodle tricks on the family today 😂
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Hooray for the noodle tricks!

I keep seeing the Rofos boat trips advertised. I’d like to maybe do the sunset one, but I’m really seasick and it’s putting me off.
How was it for you?
Old 5 Sep 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

What beautiful views.
We were in Rhodes from 16-23rd aug and the first few days were lovely with the breeze but when the breeze dropped for the last 3 days it was baking hot!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List