Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Up here (Scotland) we don't have an apprenticeship scheme. It's BEd (primary or secondary) or degree and PGDE.

As many others have said, go down the route of getting a degree in an area that she's interested in then do the Post grad. Plenty of people and I mean this in as positive a way as I can have their heart set on primary teaching then go and try it and realise it's not for them at all. Much easier to ensure you've not pigeon holed yourself/wasted your money.

Also if your child wants to travel elsewhere to teach, they may not be able to without the degree part. I can't find a definitive answer relating to the scheme you have down South about moving from support assistant etc, but on Myjobscotland, it says that if you've qualified elsewhere, to register with the GTCS you need to provide proof of your teaching qualification.

On that note, by the way. If anyone is interested in teaching up here, if you do your PGDE in Scotland, you are entitled to a probationary year. This is a guaranteed year of employment in the one school, fully supported with additional training.
Pretty much everyone who passes goes on to have some form of employment whether it's temporary/permanent supply (a few weeks in one school then on to the next vs being in the one school for a full year) or a permanent named school.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
VeryexcitedH
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
My daughter is a also in year 11 and is considering a different route to Primary teaching. We did college open days last year and a careers fair and she has just applied to do a Btec in children's play, learning and development next year. She wasn't keen on Alevels although she is capable and didn't fancy doing an apprenticeship yet. She already volunteers with young children coaching at gymnastics. Depending on how much she enjoys her course she can stop after and work as a TA or in a nursery etc or progress on to do a degree in Primary education or early years. I know it's not necessarily keeping her options open by going straight into childcare at 16 but I think it will suit her and she will get work experience in a range of settings.
After leaving school I did a BTEC in child development. I had placements in a school, my second school placement at the start of my second year told me I'd make a great teacher so I went home and I told my dad I wanted to go to uni. Swear he almost had a heart attack! I did a BA (Hons) in RE with QTS. I trained in 1997 though so quite a while ago.
VeryexcitedH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter did an English degree at Bournemouth Uni. It's a very modern English degree which is linked with media, she is now doing a PGCE at a local secondary school and is loving it. She took a year out between years 2 and 3 of uni and worked as a TA at the same school. I think this gave her a huge amount of work experience and confidence and the school snapped her up as a PGCE student. Look at lots of uni's as the courses vary so much. The good thing about her English degree is that she can switch between teaching English and Media if she wants a change.
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Toolman View Post
My daughter did an English degree at Bournemouth Uni. It's a very modern English degree which is linked with media, she is now doing a PGCE at a local secondary school and is loving it. She took a year out between years 2 and 3 of uni and worked as a TA at the same school. I think this gave her a huge amount of work experience and confidence and the school snapped her up as a PGCE student. Look at lots of uni's as the courses vary so much. The good thing about her English degree is that she can switch between teaching English and Media if she wants a change.
That is so helpful thank you. I think taking a year out to work in a school is a great idea.
We will go through everyone’s replies together over the weekend.
I am so glad no one has come on and said talk her out if it which I expected !

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
That is so helpful thank you. I think taking a year out to work in a school is a great idea.

This thread has been helpful to see some of the different options. Thanks
Old 24 Oct 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post

As a long term teacher I wouldn't try and talk anyone out of it if it's something they really want to do but I would always say go down a route that keeps your options open. It's becoming less of a career for life for many people so making sure you have broad qualifications (and a transferable degree) is a no-brainer to me.

The idea of being a TA for a year or two before training is also a really sound one and the best experience for potential teachers in my experience. That way you see the pressures from the inside and can work out if it's what you really want to do.

Personally I love my job, it's exhausting and relentless but the best thing in the world is sharing your working day with children and young people, they are just ace. I now teach in the private sector ( something I would have never considered when I was younger) but I could no longer cope with the bureaucracy and hoop jumping of the state system.
Old 24 Oct 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Following on from Twin mummy’s post my daughter thought she wanted to be a teacher. She spent her free afternoon in Year 12 volunteering at a local primary school for a year. Whilst she enjoyed it and it was great experience for her, she decided not to commit herself to teaching at this stage. Instead she has just started a Geography (her favourite subject) degree, which will give her transferable skills and still allow her to follow the teaching route at a later stage if she decides to. She’d definitely recommend volunteering if possible.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

Everyone my daughter spoke to tried to put her off teaching but she was always determined - even more so after her year as a teaching assistant. She has just finished her first half term. She has loved every minute - don't get me wrong, she is knackered, leaving the house at 7am and getting home at 7pm some days but she is buzzing and even said she will miss going to school next week! (Half term).
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List