Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Apr 19, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

EU Elections

Got our polling cards through the door yesterday.

Seems a futile endeavour, but what was heartening was watching my 18 year old daughter last night - sitting researching candidates on-line - it is her first chance to vote and she is taking it seriously.

I both applaud her, and feel for her... with the fresh fervour of youth she wants her vote to make a difference, I'm not sure what a vote in these elections can achieve.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Its an election for which those who win will go to a parliament which people have very mixed emotions about. I make no comment either way. However the right to vote was hard fought for by many over the years and I do feel its important to use that vote.

Plus of course I get a days pay for working at the polling station. Must take a good book though its going to be quiet.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
Its an election for which those who win will go to a parliament which people have very mixed emotions about. I make no comment either way. However the right to vote was hard fought for by many over the years and I do feel its important to use that vote.

Plus of course I get a days pay for working at the polling station. Must take a good book though its going to be quiet.
I do hope it is not quiet, I know it will be at heart, but I'm going with my head in the sand - if we are in EU we want the best representatives for however little (or not) time we are in there...

Must be interesting working in a polling station though.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Whatever one's thoughts on Brexit (mine are clear from previous posts on this, so I'll not repeat here), we get the representatives we deserve. Would that everyone take the right to vote as seriously as your daughter, hats off to her...

...had folks in the North West done likewise a decade ago, perhaps Nick Griffin's Wikipedia would read simply "BNP Race hater", rather than legitimise him as a former MEP.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Good for her.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Must be interesting working in a polling station though.
It is many things but interesting is low on the list of them! Its 16 hours beginning to end. You are not allowed to leave the building and breaks are very very limited. Depending on the building their may not be any coffee facilities and you need to take you own food in. I tend to as on a flight to Orlando try to avoid looking at my watch as much as possible.

On a busy vote the time can go quickly. On a local election its complete boredom. One thing which did surprise me was just how many people I knew.

On the other hand I know the person locally who was recently promoted to run elections in this area. She on getting the post had thought there were going to be no elections around here until 2021. She may get a big shock. The EU elections followed potentially by another referendum or general election or indeed both. There is even a slim possiblility of another Scottish referendum. All goes towards the holiday fund

Edited at 08:27 AM.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

The right to vote is a privilege and should always be done, too often people of voting age can’t be bothered, well be bothered and vote. Well done to your daughter on her diligence to do some research.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I've never missed a vote since I was 18.

But this one just seems pointless (shamless Remainer here)...

I need somebody to give me some motivation please!
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If all the younger voters had used their democratic right and voted in the referendum the results would probably have been totally different.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I will never NOT vote as people in some places do not have this right but for the first time ever, I will spoil my ballot paper as a protest .

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread