Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jun 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
If they haven't completed all of their course work to support the exams they they won't get signed off at my DD school and will be kept until they do or term ends.

The last Friday in June is the official school leaving date. This means the school has the DISCRETION to mark students as authorised absent from this date, it is not a date at which they must release students.

They can of course decide they are not releasing them and continue as normal as the school roll does not end until the normal term end. If parents decide not to send them against the schools wishes I can only assume they mark it as unapproved absence.

Does seem a bit harsh for a high school. Some private schools do keep students until the end of their term (which is often before public schools break anyway).
Then surely they should only keep the students who still have coursework to complete? My sons school have strict deadlines for coursework and they were weeks ago.
Sounds totally ridiculous to keep them for the sake of it. I’ve never heard that before.
Thankfully my sons school have common sense and will be releasing them into the wild after exams finish 🤣🤣

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Don't disagree at all. Just posting what the schools can and can't do based on the last Friday in June date.

Can see no point in keeping them longer unless they have work to complete, but can if they want.

Don't know of any non private school that does keep all students beyond that date.

Edited at 06:56 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

My daughter has 3 left this week, Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

They have leavers assembly/afternoon on Tuesday 18th June
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

On a side note my sons headmaster was in the news the other week for sending letters out telling the kids that if they want nice cars and holidays etc they need to work hard to do well in their exams.
I feel a bit sorry for him as he's been hauled over the coals but it's the same thing I've been telling the boys from then being yay high.
I always said our nice holidays to Orlando etc are because I've worked hard so if they want to go when they are older they will need to as well .. what do you guys think ?
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JediMuM View Post
On a side note my sons headmaster was in the news the other week for sending letters out telling the kids that if they want nice cars and holidays etc they need to work hard to do well in their exams.
I feel a bit sorry for him as he's been hauled over the coals but it's the same thing I've been telling the boys from then being yay high.
I always said our nice holidays to Orlando etc are because I've worked hard so if they want to go when they are older they will need to as well .. what do you guys think ?
I have always told my boys this. They have nice things because mum and dad work hard. If they want nice things they have to too. Some people will take offence though.

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JediMuM View Post

I tell my kids exactly the same!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by americangal View Post
What about those kids that are doing NCS? That programme starts 24 June as most kids would have finished by then. I have no idea how they would keep their attention and let’s face it what are they going to teach them!

The kids have had enough and ready to leave.
My daughter is actually attending her new sixth form on the 21st June so if they haven't released her then she won't be going into school but to college instead.

I'm hoping they are just winding them up but they've not released the leavers hoodies, constantly 'blackmailing' in my opinion that if they don't do this or attend that they can't go to prom. My daughter said all they seem to be going on about is if they keep them in school then they won't go out drinking, in leavers hoodies ? , to celebrate leaving, errr yeah they will, on Friday night, when exams are finished. Glad my daughter won't. Originally they were leaving Friday lunchtime but no-one knows what is happening now. I'll just be glad when her exams are over and she can relax.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Dd can leave after her last exam (Friday) but won’t get her prom ticket until she has her form signed to say she has handed in her books, I think that is fair as lost books must cost the school money that they really haven’t got to lose. I can’t believe the teachers would want the yr 11s in the school after the exams as they will just be a distraction.

With regards the Headmaster’s letter I’m not sure that is the message I would want sent out to everyone. There are many people who work and have worked extremely hard but can’t afford nice things, those families won’t feel great getting a letter like that and it’s also materialistic...although when I’ve been nagging the kids I’ve said similar it’s really hard trying to find something to motivate them
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Good luck to everyone today! 🤞🏻🤞🏻

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Aaaagh!

Well my daughter just text and said literallly nothing came up on the maths paper that she had revised (as in the topics that were not on paper 1 and 2)

She was predicated 5/6 and she feels that she has now not passed

If she hasn’t then they will not let her into sixth form so not quite sure what she will be doing in September

She tries so hard as well, I could cry

Edie
Edie ray is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List