Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jul 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
"Soaps for little suds" on facebook sell reasonably priced soaps, shaving bars, deodorant blocks, solid shampoo and conditioner.

Also I came back on to say that teabags can be replaced by loose leaf tea and one of those little metal ball diffuser things (whose name I've forgotten)!
My PG Tips teabags no longer contain any plastic and are sealed with cornstarch "glue" so are completely biodegradable.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Yesterday I tried an app called TooGoodToGo.
Basic idea is the app offers a lucky dip bag of food at a set time of day at a set price thus the restaurants and shops are throwing away less food. You pay in advance on the app (usually on the day but some are day before).
I was in Victoria heading for BST at Hyde Park just after 5pm , there were several options to choose from but I went for a French style sandwich place . Paid £2.99 and went to the shop and showed my receipt on the app. I got two foot long baguettes , one ham and cheese andthe other chicken and spinach, a Cornish pasty and an orange muffin. Absolute bargain, it was all very fresh and delicious as well as doing my bit to stop food wastage. It's mainly areas with high turnover (Bluewater has enough participants to feed me for a week for example) and new so some areas have better coverage than others, but worth a look.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Some brilliant alternative ideas on here, thanks for sharing. I am going to find some shampoo bars, as a family of 5 we go through loads
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Yesterday I tried an app called TooGoodToGo.
Basic idea is the app offers a lucky dip bag of food at a set time of day at a set price thus the restaurants and shops are throwing away less food. You pay in advance on the app (usually on the day but some are day before).
I was in Victoria heading for BST at Hyde Park just after 5pm , there were several options to choose from but I went for a French style sandwich place . Paid £2.99 and went to the shop and showed my receipt on the app. I got two foot long baguettes , one ham and cheese andthe other chicken and spinach, a Cornish pasty and an orange muffin. Absolute bargain, it was all very fresh and delicious as well as doing my bit to stop food wastage. It's mainly areas with high turnover (Bluewater has enough participants to feed me for a week for example) and new so some areas have better coverage than others, but worth a look.
This is fabulous, I work in London two days per week and have to keep budget down.I have just downloaded the app .what a great idea.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I travel a lot for work and use the refill app for my water Bottle which is from TK maxx
I have a folding shopping bag which goes everywhere with me.
I use a shampoo bar from lush
Coffee flask from contigo at Amazon saves me loads on store bought coffees

I would like to add please think before you buy balloons or if you know people are planning a big balloon release, balloons are so dangerous for the environment.
We have been seeing more and more animals that have choked on deflated balloons .
They attract grazing animals as well as birds and they ingest them.

Edited at 05:45 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
This is fabulous, I work in London two days per week and have to keep budget down.I have just downloaded the app .what a great idea.

I thought it was amazing. I read about it last week and tried it on a whim yesterday and it was great. I hope it spreads (it's already in Europe too btw)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I thought it was amazing. I read about it last week and tried it on a whim yesterday and it was great. I hope it spreads (it's already in Europe too btw)
Just an update Duchy
I’m in London just picked up a chicken lasagne , banana yogurt , mango smoothie and raspberry muffin from Benugo for my trip home . £3:59 on the app ! I always travel with a knife fork and spoon as well so result !
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

You cab out all your plastic waste into 2 litre pop bottles you can squash quite a lot in.
They cab then be used to building or you can dump them but it’s contained.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Some brilliant alternative ideas on here, thanks for sharing. I am going to find some shampoo bars, as a family of 5 we go through loads
It’s made me think. I buy fish from the fish man who comes round our street in his van and I now plan to take out a container with me to stop him using a small poly bag he puts them in. I buy from him at least once a week (lovely fresh fish) so it will all add up.

Edited at 06:14 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

For packed lunches for myself and DS, we have big packets of biscuits and crisps and raisins and decant them all into smaller reusable pots. Saves us money too and as all our lunch goes into a larger Tupperware type lunchbox, no need to wrap sandwiches at all.

In our school we are trying to go plastic free, which means no single use plastics in staff or pupils lunches. Also, no sticky back plastic to cover books and we have to think long and hard before we laminate anything, as we need to try and stamp this out too. We have no glitter either.

I’m afraid to try the shampoo and conditioner bars as my hair is very dry and damaged and I don’t think they would work on my hair, can anyone advise me on this please? I’ve switched to bar soap for hand washing and in the shower.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List