Old 5 Nov 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
I noticed Costco so a huge one with royal icing for 11.99 this week. If I was not the only person who are it, it would have been in my trolley.
It freezes well 😁

We split our cake in half as DH eats it a lot more quickly than I do as I’ve gone to the effort of making it I’m definitely going to get my full share of it. I slice mine up into portions and freeze it so have fingers of Christmas cake through to the end of January.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Diz View Post
Yes always make a Christmas cake using a very old recipe from the BERO book which is the same one as my mum always makes. Unlike it seems everyone on this thread I have never added booze or fed it with any. Never occurred to me and not sure I or DS would like the taste although I think DH might.

I always ice it but straight onto the cake no marzipan as we all hate it

Do make Delia’s Christmas pudding with stout in it. It is lovely and light and great with cold pouring cream (or custard if you are DS)
I remember that book - very old and tatty in our household even when I was a kid (very well used)!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
I remember that book - very old and tatty in our household even when I was a kid (very well used)!
You can still buy the Be-ro book now
be-ro

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
You can still buy the Be-ro book now
be-ro
Thank you! Guess what I'll be buying today!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
It freezes well 😁

We split our cake in half as DH eats it a lot more quickly than I do as I’ve gone to the effort of making it I’m definitely going to get my full share of it. I slice mine up into portions and freeze it so have fingers of Christmas cake through to the end of January.
Ohh do you know if the Marzipan and Royal icing would freeze well too?
Old 5 Nov 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I wouldn’t say the marzipan and icing are exactly the same as they would be going in but it is definitely very edible. They are a bit different but still nice 👍
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
IlDivoette
Imagineer

IlDivoette's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I made the Nigel Slater small Christmas cake yesterday, no idea what it will be like, but it smelt delicious.

I only wanted a small one, because only a few of us eat it, haven't made one for years for that reason, and it tended to get wasted. I used a round tin just short of 6 inches.

I liked the sound of this one because its lighter than the Mary Berry one I used to make which will be more popular with the family. I'm looking forward to decorating it now

Highlands Reserve-03/West Haven-04/Calabay Park-06/Aviana-07/Legacy Park-08/Watersong & HRH-10
Marco Island 12/SSR 12/Lake Berkley12 / PBH 2015 / SSR 2015 / Solterra 2015 / YC 2018
IlDivoette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Love it. If I manage to get a kit in the post Christmas sales I make it. Otherwise I leave it for my sister to make, or buy a small one to have with in laws.

If with my parents at Christmas I always sit next to my dad as he gives his marzipan to closest person 🤣🤣🤣
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I usually make the Mary Berry recipe but have done a simpler recipe this year. I can take it or leave it but quite like making it for hubby to eat. I made it last weekend and will be feeding it with whiskey every Saturday until mid-December.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I always make Delia’s recipe - it’s fool proof 😁. I wasn’t going to make one this year, but DH and DS pulled sad faces, so I succumbed and made it on Sunday. The kids always decorate it - love the home made aspect to it, and there’s always lots to give to our parents to take home.