Make it with Delia 24 14.37%
Make it with other 46 27.54%
Buy it or given 42 25.15%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Nov 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I love xmas cake but no-one else eats it same with mince pies & xmas pudding (if I didn't know better I'd swear none of them were mine )
being Gluten free I make my own as haven't managed to find a shop brought one that taste nice enough to justify the high price of being freefrom. I use an adapted recipe based the one I used to make with my dad when I was little. I do cheat and buy pre soaked fruit to save time and usually make it closer to xmas as I only make a small one.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love Christmas cake make my own every year with a recipe passed down from my Mam. She always used sherry but I use Brandy soak it first then feed it every week. Make my own marzipan too
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love Christmas cake but don't make it as I'm the only one who likes it so I just buy a very small one.
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
I love xmas cake but no-one else eats it same with mince pies & xmas pudding (if I didn't know better I'd swear none of them were mine )
being Gluten free I make my own as haven't managed to find a shop brought one that taste nice enough to justify the high price of being freefrom. I use an adapted recipe based the one I used to make with my dad when I was little. I do cheat and buy pre soaked fruit to save time and usually make it closer to xmas as I only make a small one.
Noone in our house eats Christmas cake, mince pies or Christmas pudding. No Christmas spirit at all here😁.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Love Christmas cake. I have literally just taken cake number 3 out of the oven and have the fruit for number 4 soaking in brandy.
One cake for us and the others for friends and family.
I used to do very elaborate decorating on them but now just do snow scenes in the royal icing.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I make my own and my mum always makes one. I prefer mine without icing but with a nice slab of white cheese instead!
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I make a cake, mince meat for pies and a Christmas pudding every year. I tend to follow a recipe from good housekeeping though.

I haven't iced the cake for many years now, I tend to get dried fruit and nuts and decorate with them them glaze with apricot jam. We struggle to eat it all though and I generally end up giving away half of it to mum and dad as they love it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

This year I'm not going traditional fruit Christmas cake. I made this Tiffany box cake a few months ago. I think I'll make another but in red with a white ribbon. Like a Christmas box. 😁

i also use the bero book recipe d

Edited at 11:36 PM.
Libby29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes always make a Christmas cake using a very old recipe from the BERO book which is the same one as my mum always makes. Unlike it seems everyone on this thread I have never added booze or fed it with any. Never occurred to me and not sure I or DS would like the taste although I think DH might.

I always ice it but straight onto the cake no marzipan as we all hate it

Do make Delia’s Christmas pudding with stout in it. It is lovely and light and great with cold pouring cream (or custard if you are DS)
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

None of us eat Xmas cake, mince pies or Xmas pudding. We even had a chocolate cake for our wedding as didn't want a fruit cake. I used to buy them as we have a house full on Xmas day but it all just got thrown away so don't bother anymore.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List