Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 21, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
£500 for food and spending for 14 nights?
Is that do-able?!
It would be a remarkable achievement.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Is that do-able?!
No absolutely not. At a push for one person -maybe - depending on how and what you eat. We budget around £120 (not dollars) a day for our meals but that’s for offsite and we eat breakfast in the villa, snacks at lunch and a decent evening meal. To be honest we rarely stay in budget.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
kikimouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by lpop View Post
Hi everyone,

Found this thread really informative and it’s helping me in planning our first trip to Orlando.

I’m looking at 2 weeks at the end of august next year and it seems that a good fit and way to get decent value is to do the following….

1) book flights independently, possibly via another airport to save more

2) I need to weigh the best option of hiring a car and the costs of petrol and parking vs using the shuttle buses

3) having approx 10 days at Disney works well with staying at a universal hotel for a few days to take advantage of their ticket options

Does anyone have any constructive views on the above and also, is the current offer from Disney ($900 dining vouchers) as good as it will get so my best option is to book before that deal ends or should I wait to see what the next promotion will be?

I know it’s not an exact science but given peoples experiences in years gone by should I bite the bullet or wait for more offers at a later date?
Hi, you may want to start a new thread to get answers for these. Just a quick one from me:

A. Yes, you can book flights indepenently but do stay with the main carriers with good refund policies. A lot of dibbers book a custom trip with BA - flight plus 1-2 days hotel stay. This classify as a package and you can just put a deposit down instead of paying for the flights outright.

B. Car hire is eye-watering at the moment. I’m going in Aug as well and sitting tight about car hire. A few things to note - there is usually a resort parking fee and factor in Disney parking fees at the park (if you are not staying onsite).

Shuttle buses for offsite hotel may not be frequent (just one in the AM and PM). So if yout group includes kids who may get cranky midday, you may have to take an Uber or Lyft back to the hotel

C. The general consensus is the next offer after this one is likely to be a free nights offer. I am not entirely sure which one is better.
kikimouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 03:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Is that do-able?!
Yep we have done £500 for a couple and it's easily achievable.
Collect restaurant coupons and money off deals.
Sign up to restaurants and plan when you are going to visit them and use your birthday to get bogof. Was mine and wife's birthday every day for 2 weeks

Share meals that are big enough for 2 people anyway
Get a roast chicken from wallmart for dinner for a few dollars and use the leftovers to make sandwiches the following day
Get the free iced water at the parks and add a dash of fruit juice
If staying onsite buy a loaf of bread and toast it in the food halls and use the complimentary butter, jam
Buy the refillable mugs to get all your drinks.
Unless you require copious amounts of food it's very easy to achieve.

Edited at 04:02 AM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
So if you don’t spend less than £18 per day per person you must be eating copious amounts of food. Right.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Yep we have done £500 for a couple and it's easily achievable.
Collect restaurant coupons and money off deals.
Sign up to restaurants and plan when you are going to visit them and use your birthday to get bogof. Was mine and wife's birthday every day for 2 weeks

Share meals that are big enough for 2 people anyway
Get a roast chicken from wallmart for dinner for a few dollars and use the leftovers to make sandwiches the following day
Get the free iced water at the parks and add a dash of fruit juice
If staying onsite buy a loaf of bread and toast it in the food halls and use the complimentary butter, jam
Buy the refillable mugs to get all your drinks.
While I applaud your ability to be frugal, your planning, research and dedication to the budget - to me (and honestly I don't cast judgement) I couldn't go to Orlando do what you're doing. Tips alone on perhaps £350 eating out would/should be at least £50?

For us, the dining and drinking experiences form a major part of the whole holiday. Again, I reiterate, this is our personal preference and each to their own.

We're not lushes or fine food connoisseurs although we do like dining/drinking experiences that, unfortunately, means paying a little extra.

Once more - well done on being able to enjoy your holiday to the maximum in your own style.

Oh... how much is it costing? We've got 3x weeks in Shingle Creek in May, flying with BA and including their 5* breakfast for £3,500 for 2 people.

Obviously tickets, spends, parking, insurance on top - most likely £3,500 again.

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

Edited at 08:56 AM.
khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by khonsu View Post
While I applaud your ability to be frugal, your planning, research and dedication to the budget - to me (and honestly I don't cast judgement) I couldn't go to Orlando do what you're doing. Tips alone on perhaps £350 eating out would/should be at least £50?
Only if all of that eating is TS. My spends budget isn't quite as low as Mike's but it's definitely on the lower end compared to most people here. I only did one TS meal my entire trip last time, which cost $25 including tip. I don't have any planned for my next trip. I don't particularly enjoy the restaurant experience, plenty of good QS options available which suit me better.

ETA: I'm sure it's listed earlier in the thread but I've restricted my spends budget to what I get included in the Disney offer. So $36/night for food plus $200 for other spends, i.e. merch. TBH I may go over on the merch depending what I choose to buy, but the food budget is easy for me to stick to.

Edited at 09:07 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Holidays are a personal choice and some people would like to have an no expense spared once in a lifetime holiday.
I like to budget and have 2 or 3 holidays a year by making my money go futher.
Can't believe the amount of money people are spending but the amount spent does not always make the experience better.
We have paid £485 for 2x return flights in may with virgin, staying at old key west for £1200 for 14 nights.
If this was via a travel agent it would be best part of £8k alone
It's a case for us of getting the best bang per buck
Each to there own

Edited at 11:40 AM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

2x adults half-term
BA Fly-drive WTP both ways, with avios upgrade to CW Premium car: £2400
Deluxe studio 1 week at Disney's Wilderness Lodge: FREE (OK, that's misleading, we pay annual dues for our DVC &#128514
Spends: £1500 basic
Incidentals like airport hotel, ESTAs: £200
Disney tickets: £900

£4000-ish

Edited at 01:14 PM.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Holidays are a personal choice and some people would like to have an no expense spared once in a lifetime holiday.
I like to budget and have 2 or 3 holidays a year by making my money go futher.
Can't believe the amount of money people are spending but the amount spent does not always make the experience better.
We have paid £485 for 2x return flights in may with virgin, staying at old key west for £1200 for 14 nights.
If this was via a travel agent it would be best part of £8k alone
It's a case for us of getting the best bang per buck
Each to there own
What an amazing deal for OKW!
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List