Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsjacksparrow
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Goofy Gumdrops View Post
When we pass some dogs he is fine, so i'm thinking that he may sense attitudes of some dogs.
This is exactly like my dog Elvis. He’s not a rescue but he’s always been the same.
mrsjacksparrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

We found taking ‘high value’ treats on walks was helpful with this, something he really likes and not something he gets all the time. Show him you have it with you at the start of the walk and then when you see a dog, show him the treat and guide him along with it (or give him little bits as you walk depending on what it is). Once you’re past the dog, lots of praise and more of the treat. This definitely helped us.

We also tried the ‘eye contact’ method which started off with us going out at times where there would be less dogs and each time he looks at you, give him a treat. He then realises that you’re the thing his attention should be on rather than other dogs. This did work for us but not as well as the above method.

I am no expert but have dealt with similar issues with a rescue dog. Good luck
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy Gumdrops
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
We found taking ‘high value’ treats on walks was helpful with this, something he really likes and not something he gets all the time. Show him you have it with you at the start of the walk and then when you see a dog, show him the treat and guide him along with it (or give him little bits as you walk depending on what it is). Once you’re past the dog, lots of praise and more of the treat. This definitely helped us.

We also tried the ‘eye contact’ method which started off with us going out at times where there would be less dogs and each time he looks at you, give him a treat. He then realises that you’re the thing his attention should be on rather than other dogs. This did work for us but not as well as the above method.

I am no expert but have dealt with similar issues with a rescue dog. Good luck
I've tried the treat thing but just totally ignores his very very favs, just turns his nose up every time. I will just keep going and be patient.
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

I’d also take into account the nature of the cross in how you approach the situation. We’ve had a collie and a Jack Russell; had they been crossed, I reckon we’d have seen something similar. The collie was a dream of a dog, but very high energy and always on the alert. The Jack Russell was the most stubborn, tenacious, independent, feisty, fearless animal I’ve ever met. We loved her - she was a complete pocket rocket - but she wasn’t easy by any stretch. She did like other dogs, but the ones that suited her when it suited her. The treat approach would have worked with Star (collie); there’s no way it would have had impact on Scally (the JR) as she’d be so focused on what she was thinking we may as well not have been there! What worked with Scally was staying really purposeful and being very, very firm. She had lots of love and attention but you couldn’t give an inch with her. If she started to fix on an incoming dog we powered straight on and, with her little legs, she realised there wasn’t time to get into it if she was going to keep up!

We have bigger breeds now (a Golden Retriever and 2 5 month old Husky Akita crosses). In terms of temperament, they are so much easier and more compliant than the Jack Russell!

Edited at 09:48 AM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Have you any enclosed dog walking fields near you
I have a Husky who can be reactive to other dogs
Near me is a field which you rent for either 1/2 hr or an hour
It was great to do some general lead training without any distractions and he learnt to concentrate more
It also reduced his anxiety on walks as he could also have fun running around without the worry of encountering other dogs
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

I would certainly suggest seeking out a good qualified behaviourist for 1 to 1 advise and training (maybe even ask your local Dogs Trust or dog rescue for recommendations).

Some dogs just don't enjoy the company of their own kind, or can be very dog selective. Like us really, not liking everyone we meet or pass in the street.

So you may never have a fully social dog but it is possible to lower the anxiety he's feeling so your walks can be more enjoyable for you both. A good behaviourist or trainer can certainly help with that. Good luck x
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Someone locally to me adopted a very reactive GSD. He would stand well off the path where lots of owners walked past with their dogs, he turned his dog away as soon as it saw a dog and spoke to her and either engaged her with a treat or a toy, gradually leaving it longer till he turned her, then getting closer to the path. His dog now can go off lead and even play with other dogs - it did take him over a year though, so patience is a must.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy Gumdrops
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I would certainly suggest seeking out a good qualified behaviourist for 1 to 1 advise and training (maybe even ask your local Dogs Trust or dog rescue for recommendations).

Some dogs just don't enjoy the company of their own kind, or can be very dog selective. Like us really, not liking everyone we meet or pass in the street.

So you may never have a fully social dog but it is possible to lower the anxiety he's feeling so your walks can be more enjoyable for you both. A good behaviourist or trainer can certainly help with that. Good luck x
Bailey is cetainly very selective to other dogs. He doesn't like black dogs very much, also any dog who shows an attitude, more likely to approach a dog who approaches him very slowly. Certainly not gonna give up on him because he does give us a lot more back than when he was younger. He is great in a car and travels very well, also never ever ruined anything around the home, so a lot of positives.