Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Transient Global Amnesia

Has anyone else come across this?

DH had an episode yesterday afternoon, he couldn’t remember anything he’d done all day, it was quite frightening, I tried calling 111 but couldn’t get through, we were away for our wedding anniversary, I think I just wanted to get home, anyway after about an hour his memory started to return and after another hour he was fine, Dr Google gave us the name after a quick search, it was very strange, he was wandering around the hotel room looking totally lost, fortunately he has a watch that told us his BP and HR were fine, so that was reassuring, hope it doesn’t happen again 😢😢
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Oh my goodness! How scary for you. Please book an appointment to see your GP so that they can rule out other things. If it happens again, I’d take him straight to a&e. Hope he’s feeling okay today.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Oh my goodness! How scary for you. Please book an appointment to see your GP so that they can rule out other things. If it happens again, I’d take him straight to a&e. Hope he’s feeling okay today.
Thanks Rac, it was scary, I thought he was winding me up to start with, but he had no recall of anything we’d done for the entire day x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Thanks Rac, it was scary, I thought he was winding me up to start with, but he had no recall of anything we’d done for the entire day x
I can imagine it being terrifying (for you both!). Big hugs to you. 💗
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

My daughter had short term memory loss a few years ago. It lasted for a couple of days. Her's was following a "minor" head injury though. I would definitely take it seriously just in case. I personally would still be trying to talk to 111. If it recurs over the weekend I would second the advice about going to A & E.

Hopefully someone else will see your thread and have some experience with this type of memory loss.
Old 23 Oct 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Looby123
Getting Excited

One of my colleagues had a few episodes of this a couple of years ago, she managed to drive her car during one of the episodes but goodness knows how. Everyone she came into contact with during the episodes said she was acting out of character. She had no recollection of anything that went on during the time and was understandably very upset and worried. She's not had one for about 18 months now. Obviously still get it checked out in case it's possibly caused by something else
Looby123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Looby123 View Post
One of my colleagues had a few episodes of this a couple of years ago, she managed to drive her car during one of the episodes but goodness knows how. Everyone she came into contact with during the episodes said she was acting out of character. She had no recollection of anything that went on during the time and was understandably very upset and worried. She's not had one for about 18 months now. Obviously still get it checked out in case it's possibly caused by something else
Thank you, I hope she’s ok, did she find out what caused it?
Old 23 Oct 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds very scary and I’m glad your DH is ok now, but not sure you should self diagnose something like that with DR Google. It could be right, but it may not be.

I think I’d want a proper check and diagnosis.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Looby123
Getting Excited

No they never found the cause. It was suggested it may have been stress related but she wasn't convinced about that. She's fine now. As other posters have mentioned though it's always best to get it checked out by a doctor
Looby123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Most cases of TGA don't recur and there is usually not a worrying cause underlying them (we know that it can be triggered by certain things).

The diagnosis is made by taking a history from the patient - if any features such as disturbance of speech, weakness of a part of the body etc, then we would investigate for causes such as a TIA ("mini-stroke") as in TGA it is just memory that is affected.