Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Apr 24, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Suddenly losing job age 50+ - any experiences?

Hello all,

I have just found out I am likely to lose my job next week.
I have been made redundant more than once (although this is not redundancy so I won't get any money!) and every time I have had fire in my belly to get out there and get another job straight away.

This time though, I just feel completely deflated/done/nothing left in the tank etc
It has been a stressful job with uncertainty for several months which may be while I feel this way.

I would like to take this chance to make a big life change but I have no idea what or how to start.

I have always worked in accounts/payroll/office manager type roles but would like to do something completely different instead of always feeling like a "slave to my salary".

I am single, and have a mortgage/bills to pay like everyone else but I do have equity in my house (although can't really move anywhere as I have an elderly horse).

I have thought of renting out my spare room for some extra income but that's about as far I have got.

If anyone would like to share their experiences around losing their job/changing career/changing life! I would love to hear them, it might give me some inspiration.

I have always been motivated not just to work, but to work hard and do a good job, and I have worked full-time from the age of 18. I have never felt this way before, just so flat and uninspired/unmotivated

Edited at 08:43 AM.
Bevawelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 24, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

can you lose your job without being made redundant ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 24, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Yes you can, if administrators are called in.
Bevawelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 24, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
can you lose your job without being made redundant ?
Might be self employed/agency. OP what are you passionate about, could your passion be the basis of a new career?

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 24, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsjacksparrow
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry to hear you could be losing your job. It can be an unsettling time regardless of whether you have something else lined up or not.
Until November last year I had worked for the same company for 23 years. Over those years I worked my way up from administrator to National counter fraud manager but in all honesty at 52 I was finding I was tired of the constant pressure and stress of it all. I lost my mum in September which sent me down a whole ‘what the hell am I doing this for’ path and when the potential for voluntary redundancy came up the following month I realised it was my time to do something completely different. I guess the decision was made easier as I had a good redundancy package but, still scary at this age and not having had an interview in the big wide world for the best part of my working life. I did start looking for work straight away but I decided I was only going to do something that brought me joy. I was lucky that one such opportunity came up, I applied and was successful. I now don’t have the Sunday evening dread and I feel like all my anxiety has melted away. I no longer have any direct reports and I’m only responsible for my own work and not anyone else’s and although I’ve taken a hefty pay cut i think it was the best decision I ever made.
My advice would be to really think about what you enjoy doing, regardless of what it is and just go for it. You spend too many hours at work to be doing something that doesn’t bring you joy.
I hope you find something and it all works out for you!
mrsjacksparrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 24, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by spenners View Post
Might be self employed/agency. OP what are you passionate about, could your passion be the basis of a new career?
My main passion is horses - I have an elderly horse, who isn't cheap to keep as she has some health issues - another reason why I need to work I guess.

Salaries in the equestrian world are generally pretty low.
Old 5 Apr 24, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mrsjacksparrow View Post
Sorry to hear you could be losing your job. It can be an unsettling time regardless of whether you have something else lined up or not.
Until November last year I had worked for the same company for 23 years. Over those years I worked my way up from administrator to National counter fraud manager but in all honesty at 52 I was finding I was tired of the constant pressure and stress of it all. I lost my mum in September which sent me down a whole ‘what the hell am I doing this for’ path and when the potential for voluntary redundancy came up the following month I realised it was my time to do something completely different. I guess the decision was made easier as I had a good redundancy package but, still scary at this age and not having had an interview in the big wide world for the best part of my working life. I did start looking for work straight away but I decided I was only going to do something that brought me joy. I was lucky that one such opportunity came up, I applied and was successful. I now don’t have the Sunday evening dread and I feel like all my anxiety has melted away. I no longer have any direct reports and I’m only responsible for my own work and not anyone else’s and although I’ve taken a hefty pay cut i think it was the best decision I ever made.
My advice would be to really think about what you enjoy doing, regardless of what it is and just go for it. You spend too many hours at work to be doing something that doesn’t bring you joy.
I hope you find something and it all works out for you!
That's a great story - thank you for sharing. I'll give it some thought as you have suggested.
Old 5 Apr 24, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bevawelly View Post
ah sorry didnt think of that
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 24, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
ah sorry didnt think of that
That's ok. The company I work for is pre-revenue and fully funded by investors so we don't have any income/revenue.
Old 5 Apr 24, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bevawelly View Post
This is not correct. You are still entitled to redundancy and employees are classed as preferential creditors, although there is a payment cap. There is also a government fund for situations where the employer cannot pay.

Edited at 07:08 PM.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List