Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Oct 22, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Marie1989
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Blind dog.

I’m heartbroken, my lovely 9 year old Westie has seemingly gone blind overnight. She doesn’t seem distressed but confused, the vet has advised that there’s nothing that can be done.just wondered if anyone has any advice.
Marie1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 22, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
simon
VIP Dibber

simon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Does your Westie have diabetes ?
simon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 22, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Marie1989
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

No, don’t think so. She’s been on anti-seizure drugs since she was 4, but the vet doesn’t think they have caused the blindness.
Marie1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 22, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

This happened to one of our cats, the vets did many tests and it turned out he had high blood pressure, he was on medication for the rest of his years and he sight came back within a few days of starting the tablets, I’d ask your vet to check this out, it was very upsetting when it happened x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 22, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

So sorry to hear this & can understand how distressing it is for you.
I would ask more questions of the vet or perhaps ask for a second opinion, if only to set your own mind at rest that there really is nothing else can be done to help. At 9 your Westie is not that old & and overnight dramatic change really needs a bit more explanation (sorry if you already have one I just going by your OP).
If there really is no medical option then tips for keeping him safe. Do not move any furniture around or the layout he is used to when he was sighted. He will remember where things are, it might be a little confusing to start but he will manage. Talk to him when your out and about just to reassure him that your there and he is safe. He will adapt, as people do. Remember, upsetting tho it is for you, they live in the day with no regrets of yesterday or worry of what is to come. Its hard when something like this happens to something so precious to you but I promise as long as your there, he feels safe and his food is where you always & when you always give it to him, he will adapt and been fine.
Sorry just realised I've typed he and should be she, give her my apologies

Edited at 05:22 PM.
THE WIZARD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 22, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Our Westie is also blind. She went totally blind about 6 months ago due to diabetes. I cried so much, wondered whether this was 'the end' and constantly researched different things we could do. She just got on with her life and wondered what all the fuss was about!

I'd say the first couple of weeks were a bit sad while she worked out her way round the house but now she's a pro. She still bumps into things and gets a bit lost but she's really not bothered. She's also hard of hearing so we have to make sure we touch her so she knows we're there but she can usually smell us anyway. She often takes herself off upstairs to bed whenever she feels like it and then plods her way back down the stairs once she's decided to grace us with her presence again. She still goes on walks, which are slower than before because now instead of sniffing everything she sniffs everything twice!

I'm sure she will adapt and you will too but there are options for cataract surgery and lens replacements if that's something you want to look into. I would push for more tests into the cause just in case there is an underlying condition.

Good luck, i'm sure you will be ok.
Old 2 Oct 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Oh no, this must be so hard when it happens so fast 🙁
Tilly is 13 and her eyesight and hearing as been deteriorating for the last couple of years. She doesn’t seem bothered by it but she doesn’t like dogs coming up to her from behind because she hasn’t seen or heard them therefore she is jumpy. She won’t actually go for walks anymore, we have found that really hard because she loved her walks. Now she won’t go off our drive. She is happy though, still eating & drinking, loves snuggling and still wagging her tail 💗
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 22, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh no this is so sad, I also have a 9 year old westie and don’t know how I’d cope if this happened. My westie has been in and out of the vets with bleeding paws and grass seeds and ear infection and now has had some lumps on her paws that have been investigated with biopsies. I know they say blind dogs adapt and you can get those devises so they don’t bump in to things. I’m am totally heart broken for you and sending love to you and your little doggy xxx 💖
Old 3 Oct 22, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Trickytenrec
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My advice would be, don’t re-arrange furniture as once your west or has got used to the furniture in its place now it will confuses them more if you move things. Also for work when we have blind dogs in, we are told not to approach from behind. I make small vibrations in front and talk to them to let them know I’m nearby.
Trickytenrec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List