Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 17 Apr 21, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Matalan tills

Popped into Matalan this afternoon obviously I haven’t been for a while and all the tills now apart from one are Self Service, so 8 tills where there were no staff

The one open was CASH only, strangely though everyone was waiting for this one & as we were paying by card we moved to the front
I can’t believe that a large store has chosen to go down this route even more so on the Saturday that they reopen

I do hope that staff haven’t lost jobs, this is the first clothes store that I’ve seen that have gone to Self Service
Anyone else been in here & are all the stores doing it 😬😩😢
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Popped into Matalan this afternoon obviously I haven’t been for a while and all the tills now apart from one are Self Service, so 8 tills where there were no staff

The one open was CASH only, strangely though everyone was waiting for this one & as we were paying by card we moved to the front
I can’t believe that a large store has chosen to go down this route even more so on the Saturday that they reopen

I do hope that staff haven’t lost jobs, this is the first clothes store that I’ve seen that have gone to Self Service
Anyone else been in here & are all the stores doing it 😬😩😢
Claire our local store had moved to self service after we visited when the first lockdown was over , I think it may be a full store roll out , not great really 😢
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Personally, I prefer the self-service checkouts on the whole. Unless its in Asda, where you can't breathe without the self serve god shouting out that something is not recognised, or put it in the basket, or call for an assistant... drives me crackers!

I love the Sainsburys app, where you scan using your phone and pack as you go, then just scan the qr code... love it!
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Flamingo
Apprentice Imagineer

Flamingo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Our local store moved to self service tills after the first lockdown. They had 5 staffed tills (although only one was ever manned) and 2 self service. I've not been in since restrictions eased this time so it'll be interesting to see if they've reduced the number of staffed tills and increased the self service.

Staff were already very scarce in our local store so I sincerely hope they've not reduced their numbers even further! It must be a very worrying time for all those working in high street retail.
Flamingo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Decathlon have all self service tills apart from one.
They are very easy though as no scanning required, you just put your item in a box at the till and with, obviously what can only be magic it comes up on a screen with the item you are purchasing.

For food shopping I do prefer the Tesco/Asda etc scan as you go type handheld scanner so I can pack as I go around rather than load everything on to a belt. I try and avoid aldi for this reason.

Edited at 08:14 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Decathlon have all self service tills apart from one.
They are very easy though as no scanning required, you just put your item in a box at the till and with, obviously what can only be magic it comes up on a screen with the item you are purchasing.

For food shopping I do prefer the Tesco/Asda etc scan as you go type handheld scanner so I can pack as I go around rather than load everything on to a belt. I try and avoid aldi for this reason.
Oh yes we went to Decathlon today too & noticed the tills, I just thought this was unusual for a stand alone clothes store
I’m with you on Aldi, the times I’ve just popped in for milk & bananas and have to queue forever
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
Personally, I prefer the self-service checkouts on the whole. Unless its in Asda, where you can't breathe without the self serve god shouting out that something is not recognised, or put it in the basket, or call for an assistant... drives me crackers!

I love the Sainsburys app, where you scan using your phone and pack as you go, then just scan the qr code... love it!
Our Asda has hand held scanner that you can scan and pack yourself as you go then just scan a qr code at the end and pay. Still need to catch the assistant though for a car park voucher so you dont have to pay.
Old 17 Apr 21, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

I personally hate self scan. I much prefer to go to an actual person ☹️
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m all about going to a till person. I like the personal touch and often chit chat a little while there. I know shops will evolve but not all changes are good changes. I think a better balance could be found with half till staff and half self service.
Old 17 Apr 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lfc_sarah View Post
I personally hate self scan. I much prefer to go to an actual person ☹️
I used to think the same, until this coronavirus. I feel much happier knowing that one less person is touching my shopping and that I can pay so easily.

Also, since the pandemic, the supermarkets and larger stores have really upped their game when it comes to self checkout. It is so much easier now, with either using your smartphone of a store handheld scanner.

I have to say... I love it!