Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Sep 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by assos View Post
This isn't right - unless you're using a paper touring plan.

The touring plans app has been able to handle ride closures since 2016 (touringplans/blog/park-t...ride-closures/) even when I first used it in 2013 it had live information on official wait times as well as the TP estimates.
I wasn't actually aware of that, but that sounds like it relies on people reporting that no? Even if not, that it is still going to be more static than Disney that supposedly will take lots of things into consideration and having considerably more data. It would be interesting to compare, the last time I used TP was quite some time ago.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

TP will scrape data from sources of course, they will use historical date plus their own internal "what people plan" to tweak. The same will happen with genie+ era, data will be saved and extrapolated. TP will have (at its heart) a rough guess of queue levels at time bands during the day. Simply put the order of rides into the system and order by best times.

The question is whether genie will look at live times or attempt to smooth the curve. If it simply orders people to go to the current low queue then you will end up with seesawing areas of the park
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
The question is whether genie will look at live times or attempt to smooth the curve. If it simply orders people to go to the current low queue then you will end up with seesawing areas of the park
I imagine it will be doing both, that is surely the point, and since that can vary I would find it pretty hard for TP to then come up with a reliable system, you effectively have two systems fighting against each other, and there are going to be much more people using Genie rather than TP. Disney also have information on how many LL and over which times (both types) which may also influence. It really depends how well Disney do at using algos to try, if it is a similar pattern all the time then TP will be able to work it out, but if it uses fairly complicated algos that will change based on various conditions, I can't see TP getting anywhere near that. Time will tell.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Any start date yet? They're leaving very late to announce having upset huge numbers
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
If there is nothing in place for 1 October that’s a massive PR fail - but so is a new system nobody likes that goes wrong.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

I asked touringplans lol
This was their response
“ While TouringPlans does make predictions based on historical data, we 100% update them with real-time data. We get an average of over 250 actual wait times each day submitted through the Lines app, as well as information about the posted wait for each ride each 5-10 minutes. We use those to update estimates real-time.
We recently did a post and YouTube video describing why (even pre-Genie – Blog: touringplans/blog/the-wa...wont-tell-you/ and YT:
), because TouringPlans and Disney have different motivations, you can trust our predictions and real-time information more. Especially in the era of Genie, Disney will have even more incentive to make waits appear worse than they actually are.
You can bet that we’ll have lots of in-park tests of Genie and how TouringPlans stacks up! Stay tuned once it goes live”
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Any start date yet? They're leaving very late to announce having upset huge numbers
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Because they said fall, I wasn't expecting it to be ready for Oct 1st. But pay/book on the day means they don't really need to give much notice as you won't be at any disadvantage.

But cynic in me says there's been a lot of "good" news this week so they might try and bury the IAS details in that and hope it gets lost in the noise.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
If there is nothing in place for 1 October that’s a massive PR fail - but so is a new system nobody likes that goes wrong.
In my opinion they need to have it running at least a week before if they were going to have it working for 1st October, that way they can iron out any issues. Doing it too close or on 1st October would be a terrible idea if something went wrong
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Because they said fall, I wasn't expecting it to be ready for Oct 1st. But pay/book on the day means they don't really need to give much notice as you won't be at any disadvantage.

But cynic in me says there's been a lot of "good" news this week so they might try and bury the IAS details in that and hope it gets lost in the noise.
Good news. I've missed that, pray tell me where do I find that s good news you speak of