Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
You can not record you need to use catch up tv
I wonder how quick you can do catch up. If you wanted to watch sports or F1 etc or something else live but know you are going to miss the first say 15/30 mins for some reason you just record with Q and start it at the point you are ready but can watch from the start. As long as you stay away from the news you can watch to the end without knowing the results. Not quite the same if you can’t catch up for hours or a day or so.

Edited at 06:12 PM.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Q you are technically downloading when you “record” anyway so is no different . So it shouldn’t be.
It is different in that the current boxes download from Satellite and ‘store’ on to a hard drive that can be played back at anytime. Streaming uses internet and effectively only downloads to temporary storage enough for it to be played.

the usage is also different,
For example..
1. not all programmes on all channels are available to stream on catchup.

2. Programmes time out/expire on catch up so you have limited time to watch before they are no longer available. I think most is 30 days but some are shorter.

3. Programmes are not usually immediately available on catch up, can take a few hours to be available. so if you want to record something to watch in an hour you might have to wait a lot longer before it is available.

4. Internet can go down but with current box / Dish you can still watch and record programmes which wouldn’t be possible with Sky Glass.

Edited at 06:37 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
3. Programmes are not usually immediately available on catch up, can take a few hours to be available. so if you want to record something to watch in an hour you might have to wait a lot longer before it is available.

^^ this, drives me nuts sometimes. Really wish BBC had a +1 option
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain

Edited at 08:42 AM.
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I have had my sky internet go down due to main outage, so without any internet and no dibb I can just watch my sky q quite happy. What happens to the glass customers you have to talk to your family
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
£10 extra per month per puck, or in total?
I just checked here the information

£50 upfront cost for Sky Stream pucks. £10 monthly subscription. Requires a minimum download speed of 15Mbps.

Hope that helps
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
I have had my sky internet go down due to main outage, so without any internet and no dibb I can just watch my sky q quite happy. What happens to the glass customers you have to talk to your family
There been a lot of problems with sky broadband my brother had it for a year and near enough every day it world go down not saying everyone the same some may have no problem
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
There been a lot of problems with sky broadband my brother had it for a year and near enough every day it world go down not saying everyone the same some may have no problem
Your last bit is us, we’ve been on sky broadband for years, out in the sticks and now slightly less rural. It’s always been great, in fact possibly the best broadband we’ve been on for reliability - I hope I’m not tempting fate.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Don’t really see the appeal. All you are doing is replacing the dish with another TV. Fine if you live in a conservation area where dishes can be prohibited but other than that, the Sky Q system works fine with the local 2GB storage
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
It is different in that the current boxes download from Satellite and ‘store’ on to a hard drive that can be played back at anytime. Streaming uses internet and effectively only downloads to temporary storage enough for it to be played.

the usage is also different,
For example..
1. not all programmes on all channels are available to stream on catchup.

2. Programmes time out/expire on catch up so you have limited time to watch before they are no longer available. I think most is 30 days but some are shorter.

4. Internet can go down but with current box / Dish you can still watch and record programmes which wouldn’t be possible with Sky Glass.
That’s just the way Q is set up, talking to the developers they say you are incorrect Stu (I've not seen it myself yet , give me a few days )
A lot of stuff once off of catch up migrates straight to box sets anyway which is now part of any new or recontract base packs, not a coincidence I think.

I’ve no idea (yet) about keeping stuff but as you can keep permanently downloads from Sky Store currently , it’s not insurmountable .

Edited at 08:48 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bouncing Tigger View Post
Your last bit is us, we’ve been on sky broadband for years, out in the sticks and now slightly less rural. It’s always been great, in fact possibly the best broadband we’ve been on for reliability - I hope I’m not tempting fate.
Yes as I said not everyone the same I hope it stays the same for you it nice to hear it works for some people . My brother had nothing but problems. He said that he could not be on the Internet for a hour then it drop for 3 but saying that I have head the same for Bt who I am with.